Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm currently running a 280x which is amazing, Im just looking for a tiny bit more power, and I know you can run 2 cards in OS X (I know crossfire doesn't work) but it will add a tiny bit more power for my video editing. I use some powerful plugins, so live renders are kinda slow and I usually have to wait for it to do a background render before I can watch my edits without dropping frames. I'm looking for something inexpensive and xfx's 5450 is cheap and seems promising.

As stated in the guide. stay away from XFX ATI Cards they're nothing but trouble in OS X.

Interestingly enough using clover I figured out how to get them to work by dynamically uploading a different VBIOS. Florian used my description in his guide as a matter of fact. Im not sure it will work with the older cards, but for $25 on newegg I would be willing to give it a try. However to save time It would probably be better to stray away. Do you have any idea if FCPX will offload tasks properly to 2 different graphics cards?

Can you run with your internal graphics? also whats the make of your 280x?
also switch your SMBIOS to mac pro 3,1, 6,1 has been problematic in some hardware combinations. It might not make a difference but its easy to try and quick to change.
Yeah, the iGPU works fine, also if I delete the X4000 kext, the computer will boot and the iGPU plus both Radeons will work, however the screens connected to the Radeons will not have acceleration (the screens lag like you're in Safe Boot and will sometimes not show items). One is Saphire, the other is MSI. I will definitely try moving it to the Mac Pro 3,1 however, I had it as an iMac before and it wasn't working on that either.

Also the entire system was working perfectly fine with 10.10.2 and then I upgraded to 10.11.3 and that's when it stopped working.

Hi all and at first sorry for my bad English.
I have an issue with Sapphire HD 7750 - it worked like a charm in 10.10.2 with full hardware acceleration, but brings me graphical artefacts in 10.11.3.
I use clover, and Verde.kext to patch it, so hack is booting, and i can log in.
Note: HD 4000 works fine so i can experiment with hack safely.
My build:
GA B75M-D3P - i7 3770 - Sapphire HD 7750 - storage -- dedicated ssd.
Screenshot with artefacts and config.plist in attach.
View attachment config.plist
Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 19.34.56.png

Radeon Compatibility Guide - R290X working patch

I am fiddling about half a year now to get my Sapphire R290X working. I think I read all threads on this topic in every Hackintosh Forum :crazy:
With this thread at least I am one big step closer: for the first time both DVI Ports are working. The essential information was here the HotPlugID is important! Only with the radeon_bios_decode script from here I got this information and ended up with a working frame buffer patch;): (Buffername Exmoor)

00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 04 00 12 04 02 01 DP
00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 01 03 07 22 05 03 03 HDMI
00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 02 07 11 02 01 04 DVI-D (upper)
00 04 00 00 04 03 00 00 00 01 01 07 10 00 06 06 DVI-D (lower)

The last 4 bytes (Tx/Enc/HP/SenseID) are fine with my card. Everthing is mapped according to the card BIOS. However I am still playing with the ConnectorTyp and ControllerFlags because the patch is not yet stable:

• I get random "WindowsServer: Surface testing not (dis)allowed..." errors in the system log which leads to short freezes.:beachball:
  • DP Port is not working, HDMI could not be tested

On the positive side I am getting amazing 130-140fps with the Unigine Valley test, same as in a parallel Windows 8 installation:headbang:

• DP Port is not working, HDMI could not be tested

Make sure you're using an active DisplayPort adapter if you want to use this port.

My two cents!

Can you run with your internal graphics? also whats the make of your 280x?
also switch your SMBIOS to mac pro 3,1, 6,1 has been problematic in some hardware combinations. It might not make a difference but its easy to try and quick to change.

Oh also, I just did a complete wipe and install of 10.11.3 and I'm still getting the same error. Here is an image of where it gets stuck. I believe the issue to be tied to the "** GPU Hardware VM is enabled" However Mork_vom_Ork said he get's that error and it still boots. Any other ideas on what could be holding it up?
IMG_4179.jpg

Oh also, I just did a complete wipe and install of 10.11.3 and I'm still getting the same error. Here is an image of where it gets stuck. I believe the issue to be tied to the "** GPU Hardware VM is enabled" However Mork_vom_Ork said he get's that error and it still boots. Any other ideas on what could be holding it up?
View attachment 180541
hmm, interesting. Its worth trying to dynamically upload a different vbios. Its possible that sapphire and msi cards have something in the vbios thats causing them to hang. Look for the link under xfx cards in the main post for this. Give that a try. Since its dynamic through clover it can be easily removed if it doesn't fix anything. Report back if anything changes

hmm, interesting. Its worth trying to dynamically upload a different vbios. Its possible that sapphire and msi cards have something in the vbios thats causing them to hang. Look for the link under xfx cards in the main post for this. Give that a try. Since its dynamic through clover it can be easily removed if it doesn't fix anything. Report back if anything changes

Are you talking about the one that links to a different forum where you got a fix? I found on on techpowerup's video bios collection, are those good? When I just put the ROM in, Inject ATI, and Load VBIOS it was not working, just freezing part way through. I then switched the graphics in the BIOS from IGPU to PCIE which made it so no screens were showing boot up, so I switched the switches on the card (which change if its mac or windows) and that allowed the bios and clover to boot using 1 of the graphics cards, however once I try to boot it gets to the ** GPU error, then it goes black like it's about to load, but never loads. I then tried to switch only the single graphics card that was showing boot up to Windows and the other to Mac but that also went blank. If I give it a fake ID of 0x00000001 then it will only boot on the screen iGPU screen. Again thank you for your time.

Back