Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I've been a bit out of the loop, so: Can someone comment on Vega? Which framebuffer is usually used with which port layout, or no specific FB? Everything stable & fast?

I don't use any specific framebuffer. Everything works great.

Most (all?) Vega cards will run with the fan spinning at a higher RPM than necessary. Reference design cards' can have their fan curves (as well as GPU core voltage, GPU frequencies, HBM voltage, and HBM frequencies) adjusted with a utility called VGTab. This utility creates a kext. The VGTab utility may work on some non-reference design cards but not all.

Done, thanks. I guess both are somehow correct (the layout I mentioned before was used in eary Polaris reference cards, I think), but mentioning the layout used/supported by Apple is better, I guess.

I've been a bit out of the loop, so: Can someone comment on Vega? Which framebuffer is usually used with which port layout, or no specific FB? Everything stable & fast?

Hi Flor!an,

Vega 10? has Kamarang, Iriri, and Japura? Framebuffers. Or at least those were the first 3 in High Sierra.
Now we have more FBs in the 10000controlletkext but Apple will be using Vega 12 mobile chips so they have added more.
We have a new Polaris 30 device ID 0x6FDF1002 the RX 590 12nm.

Can you also mention that all RX 460-560 models work except XFX RX 460-560 due to incompatible v bios.

Also, none of the RX 550 models are reported working they have Lexa core architecture. There may be one exception the Sapphire Pulse which has the device ID 0x67FF but is a cut down board. I haven’t seen anyone report it working yet.

I have a Fatboy XFX RX 590 on order from Amazon and will test as soon as I get it.

@Flor!an, you can put the RX 590 on the compatible list, at least the PowerColor RX 590 Red Devil 8GB model. See post. #1

It lists as a Radeon Polaris and clover boot loader has it as 0x67DF1002 not the 0x6FDF1002 as reported by other tech reviews.
Runs cool the fans are doing their job during benches. I got tired of waiting on Amazon and my local supplier had 5 of these cards so I picked one up this morning. I did nothing to activate it just plug and play ( lily and WEG already in clover kexts other).

RX 590 About this Mac.png

Excellent overview.

I purchased a Sapphire AMD Radeon Pulse RX 570 4GB card to replace my old Nvidia GeForce GTX 960. It has 2xDP, 2xHDMI, 1xDVI

I'm currently using the following settings which work for the 2xDP but not the HDMI (black screen).

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>FBName</key>
<string>Orinoco</string>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<true/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>RadeonDeInit</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Is Orinoco the right setting or should I be using something else?

My system with RX 580 works same with the 2xDP but not the HDMI (black screen), but without Inject ATI and RadeonDeInit. Still looking for HDMI problem solution for Mojave.

In my case, RX 580 HDMI works only if I set iGPU as primary display in BIOS. But to access BIOS or Clover I need every time connect monitor to iGPU and after, back to Rx580.

Last edited:
@Flor!an, you can put the RX 590 on the compatible list, at least the PowerColor RX 590 Red Devil 8GB model. See post. #1

It lists as a Radeon Polaris and clover boot loader has it as 0x67DF1002 not the 0x6FDF1002 as reported by other tech reviews.
Runs cool the fans are doing their job during benches. I got tired of waiting on Amazon and my local supplier had 5 of these cards so I picked one up this morning. I did nothing to activate it just plug and play ( lily and WEG already in clover kexts other).

View attachment 366155
Gigamaxx, it is very nice you are trying our RX590. What is performance? Can you help to make sure if the GPU clock report correct speed. Before I was chat with you about I was getting XFX RX580 making it work with Sierra. Today I am testing it out Mojave 10.14.1, but found the GPU clock only stack at 300MHz and performance drop about 1500 point compare with Sierra 10.12.6. Since many report that Mojave native support RX 580, I don't use any modified kext or any vbios or injection but just RadeonDeinit that help DP getting 2560x1440 that perfect resolution for me.
mojave&sierra.png

My system with RX 580 works same with the 2xDP but not the HDMI (black screen), but without Inject ATI and RadeonDeInit. Still looking for HDMI problem solution for Mojave.

In my case, RX 580 HDMI works only if I set iGPU as primary display in BIOS. But to access BIOS or Clover I need every time connect monitor to iGPU and after, back to Rx580.
For me, I just disable iGPU, set RX580 as primary. I am getting DP + DVI + HDMI.

Gigamaxx, it is very nice you are trying our RX590. What is performance? Can you help to make sure if the GPU clock report correct speed. Before I was chat with you about I was getting XFX RX580 making it work with Sierra. Today I am testing it out Mojave 10.14.1, but found the GPU clock only stack at 300MHz and performance drop about 1500 point compare with Sierra 10.12.6. Since many report that Mojave native support RX 580, I don't use any modified kext or any vbios or injection but just RadeonDeinit that help DP getting 2560x1440 that perfect resolution for me. View attachment 366511

Mine result in attachment. Maybe benchmark mixed iGpu and pcieGpu clocks?))

Attachments

• 2018-11-19_22-34-51.png
    2018-11-19_22-34-51.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 2018-11-19_22-37-43.png
    2018-11-19_22-37-43.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 180
Hello need help with RX 570 on Yosemite: I have multiple boot option on MOjavemy RX 570 goes right but on Yosemite or Sierra i'm not able to go... i can boot into macosx but go vey slow and no acceleration.. try some tweaks without success

Hello need help with RX 570 on Yosemite: I have multiple boot option on MOjavemy RX 570 goes right but on Yosemite or Sierra i'm not able to go... i can boot into macosx but go vey slow and no acceleration.. try some tweaks without success

Polaris or RX cards don’t have any support in Yosemite. The earliest support was in Sierra. In Sierra you will need to use rad deinit in clover or use lilukext and whatevergreen kext in clover/Kexts/Other folder.

In High Sierra and Mojave there is no need for adjustments although many still use lilu and Whatevergreen Kexts.

Back