Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I have changed to 18,3 but still get the black screen.
My card is Sapphire Pulse RX 560. I don't know whether different brands of card affect the situation.
Thanks anyway for offering helps.

Try setting your BIOS to Auto for GPU. And then enable "Multi Monitor" (for iGPU) if there is such a setting for Gigabyte.

I have the same chipset with an RX560 and it works perfect on 2 monitors (one HDMI and one DP).

You want to get as close as possible to a real iMac. iMacs have an iGPU + GPU.

I'm currently running Sierra on my Hack with a GTX-1070. Planning to upgrade to High Sierra when 10.13.4 is released.

I also want to replace the NVIDIA with an RX580 after the upgrade to HS.

Will this be natively supported if I have SysDef iMac17,1 or does 17,1 need Clover settings/WhateverGreen etc?

Can someone give me a hand with my connectors patch? See info below:

Please note the hot plug id of "ff" and the enc value of "0x10?". Very odd to me. If I made the "ff" decimal, it would be 255, and more than 2 digits... :(

I'm currently running Sierra on my Hack with a GTX-1070. Planning to upgrade to High Sierra when 10.13.4 is released.

I also want to replace the NVIDIA with an RX580 after the upgrade to HS.

Will this be natively supported if I have SysDef iMac17,1 or does 17,1 need Clover settings/WhateverGreen etc?

You should use 18,3 SMBIOS instead because a real iMac has an RX580.

From what I've read (but haven't tried myself) is that 10.13.4 does not need WhateverGreen+Lilu

You should use 18,3 SMBIOS instead because a real iMac has an RX580.

From what I've read (but haven't tried myself) is that 10.13.4 does not need WhateverGreen+Lilu

I understand 18,3 would match the GPU but it isn't a match for the Skylake CPU I have. Would this likely cause other problems i.e power mgmt, slept/wake or speed issues?

I understand 18,3 would match the GPU but it isn't a match for the Skylake CPU I have. Would this likely cause other problems i.e power mgmt, slept/wake or speed issues?

Don't worry about the CPU, the GPU is more important.

I have your same CPU/Mobo on a 2nd system. As long as you use proper USB injectors like from Reehab Man then power management should be ok.

Also use a proper SSDT for the 6700k.

I'm running RX580 on Skylake 17,1 with no issues using whatevergreen. It does work.

I thought I'd share my experience. I just installed an Asus ROG Strix Vega 56 card, and it pretty much worked out of the box on MacOS 10.13.3 (Supplemental Update) — no Whatavergreen.kext, no RadeonDeInit. While "About this Mac shows it as "AMD RX xxx 8GB," it's working with no issues and fans are not kicking up as described by some users. System report shows Metal is supported with GPUFamily1 v3.

I am noticing occasional (very infrequent) artifacts in the UI (black dots that appear for a 1 second and disappear). Aside from that, no issues whatsoever. I suppose the lack of proper naming in About this Mac is purely cosmetic.

I thought I'd share my experience. I just installed an Asus ROG Strix Vega 56 card, and it pretty much worked out of the box on MacOS 10.13.3 (Supplemental Update) — no Whatavergreen.kext, no RadeonDeInit. While "About this Mac shows it as "AMD RX xxx 8GB," it's working with no issues and fans are not kicking up as described by some users. System report shows Metal is supported with GPUFamily1 v3.

I am noticing occasional (very infrequent) artifacts in the UI (black dots that appear for a 1 second and disappear). Aside from that, no issues whatsoever. I suppose the lack of proper naming in About this Mac is purely cosmetic.

I just tried my Vega 56 without Radeon DeInit and without WhateverGreen.kext. It boots and runs fine. About this Mac shows the same thing as you see.

However, my fans still ramp up more than they should and, when the computer tries to sleep, it results in a reboot.

I'm using an MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC with reference style cooler.

I just tried my Vega 56 without Radeon DeInit and without WhateverGreen.kext. It boots and runs fine. About this Mac shows the same thing as you see.

However, my fans still ramp up more than they should and, when the computer tries to sleep, it results in a reboot.

I'm using an MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8G OC with reference style cooler.

Interesting. I'm wondering why I'm not facing the fan issue myself. My fans barely ramp up unless under heavy load (benchmarking, etc.) and are idle most of the time. I also noticed that sleep doesn't work reliably without Whatevergreen.kext. I think most of the issues will be solved with 10.13.4.

Are there any negative side-effects to using Whatevergreen?

Performance wise, this kicks the sh** out of the GTX 1070 it replaced. I really think AMD should be the default recommendation. Had I known earlier, I wouldn't have spent money on Nvidia and sold the card at a loss.

Back