Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Thanks for the update Gigamaxx. I received the card yesterday and it works OOB like all the rest of the vega's (it's vega GPU after all), so very happy about that. What is rad deinut? I use whatevergreen atm.

Now I have a question for you :) You say huge improvement, does that mean compatibility / speed increase? Just to know what to look forward in 13.4, besides it names the card proberly WX9100 in "About this mac".

Cheers!

Improvements are proper naming, family v3 status without IGPU, no need for whatevergreenkext, or rad de initiate in clover to avoid black screen. Performance for my Vega seems better with the latest beta versions as well.

Please post some benchmarks from the card would love to see them.

Improvements are proper naming, family v3 status without IGPU, no need for whatevergreenkext, or rad de initiate in clover to avoid black screen. Performance for my Vega seems better with the latest beta versions as well.

Please post some benchmarks from the card would love to see them.

Great. Family v3 status without IGPU, I need to check what this is :)

What kind of benchmarks would you like to see? Mind you, the card is slower then Vega 64 and Frontier in benchmarks (Geekbench etc).

Is it hard to do Beta upgrade with 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 ?

update to 10.13.4 beta4 (17E170c), gets black screen on HDMI port. Only get back the screen using DVI port. Other than that, works fine in the new beta. I am using RX 560 card.Support natively without any kext added.
But, anyone know why it is black screen in HDMI port?

Last edited:
v3 is regarding Metal. It's irrelevant. It's cosmetic. I get that with or without IGPU enabled.

it is hardly irrelevant it is a feature set that was previously only obtainable with Intel apple supported CPUs with integrated graphics. Now it is obtainable with non supported CPUS even non-Intel CPUs so they have opened up the graphics support for all users.

Great. Family v3 status without IGPU, I need to check what this is :)

What kind of benchmarks would you like to see? Mind you, the card is slower then Vega 64 and Frontier in benchmarks (Geekbench etc).

Is it hard to do Beta upgrade with 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 ?

Geekbench, Luxmark Ball, Uningine Valley and or Heaven, Cinebench, they are all free apps.

it is hardly irrelevant it is a feature set that was previously only obtainable with Intel apple supported CPUs with integrated graphics. Now it is obtainable with non supported CPUS even non-Intel CPUs so they have opened up the graphics support for all users.

I think he means the display in the graphics info panes is irrelevant. I've verified this is the case. Even when it only says 'Metal: supported' the Metal APIs will tell you v3 is supported (assuming your hardware is capable). The system info pane appears to just be based on the device name.

There must be a small utility out there that enumerates MTLDevices and displays their capabilities. Something like that would be a much better indication of proper metal support.

Geekbench, Luxmark Ball, Uningine Valley and or Heaven, Cinebench, they are all free apps.

I really want to give you them benchmarks, but I somehow run into trouble.

I had 2 "perfect" 10.13.3 + 10.13.4 Beta 4 installations running. I booted to a previously installed (before High Sierra builds) Windows 10 partition, and tested Geekbench - all good. Then I rebooted to my High Sierra builds, and both suddenly hanged at: "PTIDSensors: Started"... somehow both OS X partitions got corrupted bootloaders/EFI, simply by booting my Windows 10 Partition. Every OS X partition I connect to my system, get's corrupted bootloader/EFI.

So I disconnected the Windows partition, repaired Clover (installed above the old), transfered working EFI... and then I can boot again. I tried connecting the Windows 10 drive, and booted it, shutdown and turned on the system. Now I tried again my OS X partition, and again it was Corrupted. Arrrrgh :)

I really want to just get my z370 system working normally with both OS X and Windows, like my z87 system.

Where v3 or Metal is displayed is irrelevant. Even when Metal is displayed, underlying metal support is still v3. As I said, for me v3 is displayed where I use IGPU or not.

I think he means the display in the graphics info panes is irrelevant. I've verified this is the case. Even when it only says 'Metal: supported' the Metal APIs will tell you v3 is supported (assuming your hardware is capable). The system info pane appears to just be based on the device name.

There must be a small utility out there that enumerates MTLDevices and displays their capabilities. Something like that would be a much better indication of proper metal support.
Spot on.

Back