Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

It's weird users have to experiment with using lilu and whatever green to see what works for them. Sometimes it's just a matter of the right combo to get things working and then you find something else bt
Thank you vey much. I'll do some experimenting later today. So maybe the sleep issue is related to the iGPU? (Unless I misunderstood that part). I have onboard set to "Auto" in the BIOS so I suspect it's turned-off once the discrete is identified as present. It doesn't show up in System Information at all. The AMD connector patch is very interesting. The ASUS card seems to have identical physical ports to the Gigabyte and in the same places. The default design?

:)

#7. Check out this fix. Change the value from 5 to 3.

It's weird users have to experiment with using lilu and whatever green to see what works for them. Sometimes it's just a matter of the right combo to get things working and then you find something else bt

#7. Check out this fix. Change the value from 5 to 3.

An excellent find. Thank you. I'll try that shortly and report back.

However I think I'm going to have to create a proper USB port definition first because the BT polling is bringing the PC awake. I need to '255' that out to remove it from the scenario (I've been a bit slow with this new build).

I just did a few experimental edits and restarts and discovered - much to my surprise - that by removing the config.plist De-Init key and replacing the Lilu and Whatervergreen kexts, iTunes DRM video still played fine. No other patches applied. So there must be something else that's changed to allow playback, whereas before it was black-screen and no sound. The 10.13.2 update perhaps?

o_O

Here's what I found. In my case, when I ran with the IGPU disabled my computer was more efficient decoding h265 videos. However, I could not encode h264. So I run with and recommend enabling the iGPU (and not with Auto in Bios). This is specially true if you're using an iMac config. Another thing you should do is include the attached kext in your clover EFI partition. It injects some values so that your card can do HEVC decoding.

Sleep issues could be several things... are you renaming GFX0 to iGPU and PEG0 to GFX0?

Attach your card's vBIOS and I can work out your connector patch.

Ah, that's very interesting. I only ever use Handbrake to encode MP4 and Quicktime to playback. I'll have to experiment and see if there are problems with h265 etc.

As for sleep, no I haven't used those renames, only because everything was working okay before the removal of Whatevergreen etc. I'm going to work through both your and @Gigamaxx 's suggestions later this evening to see what happens.

I'm aiming to do what you did with your build and use as few modifications and kexts as I can. As I just mentioned in the post above, things seem to be changing even without much editing :rolleyes:

Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, USB port configuration done.

Let the test begin... First Sleep/Wake cycle the PC slept for about 5-minutes and then rebooted itself. This with kexts in place. Next up will be the removal of kexts again and experimentation with the "Arbitrary" patch ...

One step at a time.

Last edited:
Right, the results for sleep and wake with an RX560 are in. Thanks to @Gigamaxx and @bortoni for the pointers.

State of play -

With the RadeonDeInit flag set to "true" and no extra kexts the system worked well, was fully accelerated but sleep turned-off the display, wound-down the hard disk but left the motherboard on. The keyboard had no response so wake didn't happen. A reset was needed.

With RadeonDeInit set to "false" AND the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory the system went to sleep but woke instantly to the log-in screen. I also tried the kexts in the L/E directory on my SSD. No difference.

What I did next -

I left the two kexts in place in the EFI folder (removed the others in L/E and rebuilt caches) and added the following under the Devices key in my config.plist:

Code:
<key>Arbitrary</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AMD Sleep Patch</string>
                <key>CustomProperties</key>
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Disabled</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Key</key>
                        <string>CFG,CFG_FB_LIMIT</string>
                        <key>Value</key>
                        <data>
                        Aw==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                </array>
                <key>PciAddr</key>
                <string>01:00.00</string>
            </dict>

This is suggested by @shuhung at post #7 here.

As advised by @Gigamaxx I changed the FB count to 03 (the "Aw==" in the code) after first trying 05.

This has worked and sleep now works pretty well. The display turns off, the hard drive eventually spins down, there's a brief flick up in speed of the GPU fans and then the system goes silent, all LEDs off. A press of the key brings everything back - with sound.

IMPORTANT: If you read this post previously you'll know I initially had a completely different experience with this patch. This seems to have been caused by a typo on my part. Apologies if I mislead anyone trying to solve the same problem.:oops:

Thanks again to @shuhung for letting me know. Appreciated!

I noticed a similar edit from @jb007 to the above one at post #10 on the same thread, to change the displayed GPU name in System Report.

You can also add this code to the Devices/Arbitrary section:

Code:
<key>Arbitrary</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>GPU Rename</string>
                <key>CustomProperties</key>
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Disabled</key>
                        <false/>
                        <key>Key</key>
                        <string>CFG,model</string>
                        <key>Value</key>
                        <string>Radeon RX 560 OC</string>
                    </dict>
                </array>
                <key>PciAddr</key>
                <string>01:00.00</string>
            </dict>
        </array>

Here's how the new name string looks when in place:

GPU.jpg

Since I tried this I've actually removed the rename patch and am sticking with the name Whatevergreen gives me - "Radeon Pro 560". Given my skills with code it's safer to keep it to a minimum! LOL! :oops:

So to clarify: I have Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. I have RadeonDeInit set to "false" and I have the CFG_FB_LINIT patch set to "03" in place. (Intel injection is set to "true" although the BIOS hides the iGPU from the OS).

P.S I also downloaded "AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext" and took a look through it's info.plist to see what it did (that's all it is, no compiled code) and it looks interesting, but in the end I didn't need to try it. Unless something changes ...

Last edited:
Installed a new Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8G today, everything seems to work great with the only thing being the fans go to max speed when waking from sleep. It only last a few seconds and then returns to normal. Running Lilu and whatevergreen only.

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 4.56.38 PM.png

Installed a new Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8G today, everything seems to work great with the only thing being the fans go to max speed when waking from sleep. It only last a few seconds and then returns to normal. Running Lilu and whatevergreen only.

View attachment 303459

Welcome to the RX 580 club @dfritchie! My RX580 does the same fan speed up after .
Doesn’t bother me.

Edit: 4th Jan
@dfritchie
I guess I am loosing it! I actually fixed this fan speed up from sleep, by installing the latest HWSensors3 package from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/?source=typ_redirect

In one of the threads which I can't seem to find, someone mentioned that this package installs (besides giving you a GPU temp for your RX 580 and other things), a radeonmonitor.kext that helps with this fan/sleep issue. Slice, one of the authors recently updated this package (7th Dec 2017). It was a while ago that I installed it, and I haven't been using sleep until today, when I noticed that the fan does not ramp up after sleep, then the penny dropped, that I had given misinformation! Doh!

As always make a backup before installing, you never know what can go wrong. If it does/doesn't fix the problem could you report back to let others know if this solves this problem?

Last edited:
how come the FB Data patch didn't do anything but the String patch for the model name did?

Data format incorrect, original value 05 of CFG,CFG_FB_LIMIT is NUMBER, but Clover will convert it into DATA, therefore correct value type should be DATA or NUMBER, not STRING.

Data format incorrect, original value 05 of CFG,CFG_FB_LIMIT is NUMBER, but Clover will convert it into DATA, therefore correct value type should be DATA or NUMBER, not STRING.

Hello @shuhung

Thank you for pointing that out. Much appreciated. I have now corrected my error in the original post and things have improved considerably :thumbup:

So my apologies to all. There is a still a small mystery there but I'll happily ignore it for now!

Last edited:
hi guys. 10.13.3 beta3 doesn't fix the Vega fan issue...

Welcome to the RX 580 club @dfritchie! My RX580 does the same fan speed up after .
Doesn’t bother me.

Edit: 4th Jan
@dfritchie
I guess I am loosing it! I actually fixed this fan speed up from sleep, by installing the latest HWSensors3 package from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors3.hwsensors.p/?source=typ_redirect

In one of the threads which I can't seem to find, someone mentioned that this package installs (besides giving you a GPU temp for your RX 580 and other things), a radeonmonitor.kext that helps with this fan/sleep issue. Slice, one of the authors recently updated this package (7th Dec 2017). It was a while ago that I installed it, and I haven't been using sleep until today, when I noticed that the fan does not ramp up after sleep, then the penny dropped, that I had given misinformation! Doh!

As always make a backup before installing, you never know what can go wrong. If it does/doesn't fix the problem could you report back to let others know if this solves this problem?

It hasn't done the fan speed thing since the first wake. Been completely normal since then :)

Back