Contribute
Register

Radeon 5000 (yes, few years old) and multi-monitor support OR new card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55A-UD3
CPU
i7 << need model # >> See Rules !!
Graphics
HD 5870
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. LC
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all - I built a customac pro sometime in 2010/2011 with what was pretty hefty components at the time (funny how a few years makes all the difference in the world). I've got the Radeon 5000 -- I've been running with 2 DVIs just fine, have a couple of passive DisplayPort adapters and thought I'd give it another go to get a third monitor on here -- but no go. If I plug in the third monitor to the DisplayPort it of course cuts off the vid to the second DVI.

So since this is long in the tooth: I'm asking a two parter:

1) CAN the radeon work with 2 dvi and 1 displayport adapter? (Seems it could back in the day ie http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...d5000-and-hd4000-series-support-in-chameleon/)

or

2) should I just spend $100 and get a GeForce 640 or something; those handle 4 monitors with no problems, correct?

I should learn how to read given the sticky in this forum.

Playing around with AtiConfig -- Uakari seems to be the beginning of getting all three to work (dev machine, music). Haven't played with BioShock on it yet.

Curious of course if someone recommends a card though given the pricing and tech from the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back