Contribute
Register

Purple screen (2nd HDMI port on Radeon RX 570)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5-2400
Graphics
HD 7770
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a nicely working Ventura on OpenCore with Radeon RX 570, but if connecting a second monitor using the second HDMI port the screen displays in purple colors. I heard a color profile should be configured. I tried but didn't go too much further because, in the Recovery Mode, some commands just didn't work. I also bought two DisplayPort - HDMI adapters, which died in a month the first one, and in a couple of days the second one, so I guess better to use a stable HDMI cable. I appreciate any help, thank you.

IMG_2892.JPG

I also bought two DisplayPort - HDMI adapters, which died in a month the first one, and in a couple of days the second one
I've tried a few of those cheap adapters too. Not worth the 3 dollars spent.

I've found these from Ivanky to be professional grade 4K active adapters. They really work and will hold up for many years. They make really high quality HDMI to HDMI cables too if you need one.

Last edited:
Ok, cool. So you suggest preferring a stable DP-HDMI adapter rather than trying to configure the color profile due to expenses for the effort and time? Thanks.

Ok, cool.
What brand of RX570 is it ? How many DP ? Was it a card you bought used on Ebay or other site ?
Are all the DP outputs working normally ?

Last edited:
So you suggest preferring a stable DP-HDMI adapter rather than trying to configure the color profile due to expenses for the effort and time?
You can try the framebuffer patching guide if so inclined. It does take a significant amount of time and research on your part. That adapter has always worked perfectly for me. I keep two of them around. DP output is preferred by macOS. When you adapt it to HDMI with a quality adapter you should have no problems if your EFI is configured correctly.

What brand of RX570 is it ? How many DP ? Was it a card you bought used on Ebay or other site ?
Are all the DP outputs working normally ?
I bought it used but as the seller said with no footprints of mining. The brand is MSI, 2 DP ports, both ports worked with the adapters, though on the second port, I noticed the same purple screen, but not sure if it was caused by the damaged adapter or if it is the same config/card problem as with the second HDMI port.

Have you tried swapping the connectors/adapters to see if the same result is seen on the display currently showing the Purple screen, or if the purple screen switches to the other DisplayPort connector and display?

Undertaking this test using all the various permutations should tell you if the display out connector, display cable or the adapter is defective. It could be a combination of two or more of these display elements that cause the purple screen.

My RX570 has 3 DP Ports which works fine but using HDMI and DVI results into the same problem. You will require Frame Buffer patching.

Back