Contribute
Register

Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

do you think that it's possible? if yes, do you have any suggestions or guide to follow?

Best regard

Well first of all you need at least one Core card for a pro tools HD system. Maybe you know that but i can't tell from your post/question.

Then of course it is possible, this thread is about exactly that. The current options are Jetway NAF92 or NAF93, or Gigabyte GA-P75-D3.

Chose the board based on your needs and budget and follow this thread for specific guidance. its not complicated though.
g\

There are quiet a few version of the GT 240. I think the one we got was the 1gb EVGA GT 240.

So about the H67/P67 thing. Is it worth getting the 2600k if I cant even overclock? It looks like the P67 only has 2 PCI slots... I can only work with motherboard that have 3. It is the first requirement. Those cards are worth almost 2k a piece, would be a shame to only use 2 of them. So far the build is about $1200 (with a rack mount case). An external silent PCIe to 7 PCIx slot chassis (the one supported by ProTools) is $3k. Trying to keep costs down.

My only other 3 PCI slot option is an 1156 board... not nearly as cool and almost the same price. So I'm expecting about a week of fussing with this thing to get it stable and working with PT9. Well worth the performance upgrade.

SO! Again, my questions are should I get a none K series CPU since I can't overclock on an H67 anyways? and do you guys know of any other 1366 or 1155 options with 3 PCI slots?

Thanks guys!
Looking at GA boards, none of the P67 have more than 2 PCI slots. Not sure the H67 board you list is going to work because the PCI slots are bridged from the PCIe bus and not directly off of the H67 chip. Don't your PCI cards require direct drive from the north bridge chip?

Looking at GA boards, none of the P67 have more than 2 PCI slots. Not sure the H67 board you list is going to work because the PCI slots are bridged from the PCIe bus and not directly off of the H67 chip. Don't your PCI cards require direct drive from the north bridge chip?

Yes, they can't be bridged. Therefore NONE of the "mainstream" or "performance" 6 series or 7 series chipsets (P67, H67, Z68, Z77, etc) will work. ONLY the B and Q chipset have native PCI (B65, Q67, Q77, B75, et al).

The appropriate current generation boards have been mentioned at some length in the thread and are essentially limited to the Jetway NAF series and the B75 Gigabyte board. Some have also used server oriented C series boards I but really don't see any reason not to go with the NAF or Gigabyte.

g\

The GA-P75-D3 has four legacy PCI slots, I have two machines (HD3 and HD4) running on these at the speed of light. 10.8.2 and my old trusty Pro Tools HD 8. BAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back