Contribute
Register

Project: Quicksilver Power Mac i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
tviolation said:
One final thing I want to mention in this post is on the software side of things. I was experimenting with the SMBIOS values while installing Lion and discovered an interesting quirk in Mac OS X that was actually super fun for me. I'm using MacPro5,1 as my system definition, installed from MultiBeast. I thought it would be nice to feed the original Power Mac G4's serial number to the system, just because, and manually entered it into SMBIOS.plist. To my surprise, after doing this, selecting About This Mac/More Info from the Apple menu yields the following screen:

web.jpg

First thing; Amazing work. Superb :clap:

I have to ask; do the SMBIOS edit affect in any way your performances? I still need to demystify the whole SMBIOS thing.
If I set my sandybridge i7 hack as a "Imac" I have better score on Geekbench than using Mac Pro.
How (if they do) your performance changes doing the modification you did?
Thank you in advance

the about this mac image/name is set by the serial number.
the model identifier is seperate.

eg, if you have your identifier set to imac for performance reasons, but you want the image/name to be of a mac pro, then changing the serial wont have an effect on the performance (itll still be recognised as an imac in 'hardware overview')

for example, this is mine now (look at picture).
powermac g5, but hardware ident is still macpro3,1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 09.51.17.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 09.51.17.png
    152 KB · Views: 776
That should be added to the G5 mod resource thread! Nice work btw

Thats a funny hack :thumbup:

Attachments

• Power Mac G4.png
    Power Mac G4.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,960
Any chance you could rehost your images?
Unable to see the work you've done ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back