Contribute
Register

Project: Quicksilver Power Mac i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
same here... Without pics, it didnt happen :lol:

Sorry about that... darn Apple closing the MobileMe gallery! I've just moved, but I will get them re-hosted as soon as my server is up and running.

Sorry about that... darn Apple closing the MobileMe gallery! I've just moved, but I will get them re-hosted as soon as my server is up and running.

can you pleasseeeee rehost the pictures??

your build is an inspiration and I picked up a quicksilver not too long ago and was disappointed to see all the pics disappeared :(

All picture links have finally been updated and should be working again. Thank you, Apple, for taking down the MobileMe gallery and not putting a similar feature in iCloud.

I know it's been a while since I have updated this thread, but the computer has been up and running for several months now as my primary production machine. A few changes: I ultimately decided that I did not need an optical drive (I never use the thing) and put the door back on the optical drive bay. This frees up quite a bit of space internally which I am going to be putting to use soon. The back panel is mostly done but still needs some finishing work before I attach it. Also, I did a clean installation of Mountain Lion the weekend it launched. I didn't run into any unexpected issues and it seems faster than Lion, although my serial number/model hack no longer works as I can't get the OS to read the serial number from smbios.plist after installing the AppleACPIPlatform rollback needed for the Asus X58 boards. I had the same issue using this fix under 10.7.4... it just identifies as generic Mac Pro and lists the serial number as "System Serial Number." It's purely cosmetic, so I've tabled it for now.

Several months of use have taught me a few things. First, the single 120mm radiator is adequate and keeps the CPU in the low-mid 40s most of the time. However, when I overclock or run stress tests, it creeps up into the 70s, which is higher than I'd like. I am currently planning to install a dual radiator in the bottom, relocate the hard drives to the space vacated by the optical drive, and see how this affects cooling. Also, I am itching to upgrade my graphics card and already have a GTX 660 Ti waiting to go in, but my initial placement of the reservoir makes the 5770 about the biggest thing I can install, so it needs to be moved as well. There are a number of other small "if I had it to do over now..." changes I want to make too. I have another Quicksilver chassis laying around, and will be starting to mod this shortly and transplant the motherboard door and many of the other modded parts from this case to that chassis as I go. Watch for a new thread detailing that project once I get it rolling.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the completed Mac up and running in its native environment. Don't dwell too much on that 24" Dell monitor that's currently my secondary display... it'll hopefully be replaced by another 30" Cinema Display before long! :-D

7797807024_845c1daed4_b.jpg

I used a similar method for my G4 graphite mod's optical drive. What bugs me is that I wanted to use matching SATA cables for all my devices and the micro sata adapter has a butt ugly red cable. I am thinking about cutting the sata cable off the adapter and hooking up another blue one that is identical to the one I used for my hard drive just longer.

I'm glad to see your pictures are back up. This is a great mod. Very impressive.

Very nice tviolation!!!

I'm building my Quicksilver Power Mac i7 Hackintoch also... :):)
I've orderd the parts today, so soon i can start my build, can't wait to start.... :p
I want to keep mine (as if it's) stock.

Rickson

Edit:
Can you tell me which kind of led you did use for the "hard drive LED"....?

Dude, it's killing me, I found someone in the atlanta craigslist computer section who has a busted G4 800 quicksilver system that they want to give away that would be the basis for another great mod. I'm very tempted to arrange to go pick it up but I've already got my G5 case laid back for my next mod, really don't need to get another system to have to store up in the attic.

Giving one away??? I'd be all over that if it was near me. Those usually go for quite a bit up here in MN. I think it because of the high student population that needs a budget machine though. I'd at least pick it up and either set it aside or sell it to rase money for your next build.

Always pick up a Mac when it's free! Even if you don't end up modding it yourself, it's always good for parts for other mods and, if nothing else, you can always find someone who wants it again and save it from the landfill.

On another topic, I'm getting ready to start a major round of modding this weekend. I've got my second Quicksilver chassis stripped down to the bare metal and I'm test-fitting the larger radiator, as well as a new hard drive cage, and marking where I need to cut. I've come to a dilemma, though: since doing my original Quicksilver mod, a graphite Sawtooth G4 has also come into my possession. Personally, I have always liked the older G4 case better (and probably would have gone this route in the first place if I had the machine at the time I started this project) but I'm not sure if I should switch gears and build that as my primary rig or keep going the Quicksilver route. Since the bulk of the work has to be redone at this point anyways, I have pretty much a clean slate to start with. The Quicksilver is a little easier to mod for modern components, in my opinion, and the silver color does look better with my modern Apple aluminum keyboard/mouse/monitor, but I keep gravitating back towards the graphite.

So I figured, as you guys are the modding experts, I'd ask the forum what route you think I should go for the next build: a far improved and perfected Quicksilver Mk. II, or a Sawtooth that incorporates the improvements I was planning to make. And before someone says to do both... lol... well, that may happen someday, but right now I am focusing on getting one case as close to perfect as my primary system and trying to reduce the excess of random computers running around my house. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back