Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've been running Mavericks in a VM on my laptop for the last year or so. Last month I finally got a minimal, but functioning, desktop build together. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on a 120GB SSD and am having a ton of trouble getting Mavericks to play nice with my designated hard drive. Any help is much appreciated and I'll update here as necessary in case it'll help someone else.

Code:
Specs:
Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH 
CPU         : i5-4690k
RAM         : 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866
PSU         : EVGA 750 G2
Storage     : 120GB SSD (Win7); 1TB HDD (OSX); 3TB HDD (storage)
BIOS        : optimized defaults tweaked based on TonyMac install guide

Here's the story:
Basically, I was able to get it to boot previously with Chimera. But I started installing kexts and then it wouldn't boot without -x flag. That happened a few times. I started removing kexts (nothing essential) and it would just hang, even with -x. So then I started over with Chimera. Same thing happened. So I decided I'd try Clover. Put my Clover USB in and was able to boot without any flags. Installed Clover bootloader on the UEFI partition and then it wouldn't boot again. Ok, that's fine I say to myself. I'll just use Clover to do a clean install. Nope. After the first restart (during install), it's acting like there's no bootloader whatsoever; not on my flash drive or OSX hard drive. Will go straight into Windows. I unplug the Windows hard drive AND the storage drive and try again. It's giving me a message like "no bootloader, insert bootable media and try again". Ah fudge.
So here I am starting again for the 5th or 6th time now, putting Clover on my USB to retry this install.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Seriously. I was so excited when I read that GIGABYTE made some of the most hackintosh-friendly boards but jeez I'm not feeling any of that love right now. Thank you in advance.

Update: Did not work. Still exhibiting the no OSX bootloader behavior. Not sure how to fix that. No matter what I do, it acts like Clover is not there. I've tried loading from USB and the hard drive.

Update 2: Ok so I got it re-installed by changing around some BIOS settings that get UEFI first priority basically. I'll go back and look at exactly what that is. But it was working fine before on "UEFI and Legacy" so... not sure what I did wrong. But ok. That's pretty much a non-issue for me as long as I can get to both systems somehow. I'm stuck at the DRMStatus message (right after IOBluetooth message). I can boot with -x boot flag and it'll get me in no problem, but I can't install Clover to my EFI partition that way. It fails every time. Any help on getting my machine booting properly? Thanks in advance.

Update 3: I got everything up and running on 10.9. I booted with -x -v dart=0 via my Clover USB then installed Chimera and kexts via Multibeast (because Clover fails in "safe mode") so I could 1) have a fallback bootloader just in case (Clover is UEFI; Chimera is legacy) and 2) install kexts easily and reliably. Reboot (still -v dart=0 because Clover has them as defaults) and everything is fine but my internet went out. Start troubleshooting my cable connection then I realize something must've broken it. So I install an ethernet kext that I hope works and reboot again. Installed Clover to EFI partition on HDD. Remove USB and reboot. All seems well. My audio isn't working but I'm going to take a look at that. And I'm gonna try to update to 10.9.5 before the night is over.

Well, I started installing my programs and... Idk what happened. Stopped working. I'd get to a black screen and it would just hang. No matter what. Tried to boot my backup but I guess I made it too late (won't make that mistake again) and it wouldn't even get to the black screen.

So everything went to hell and I'm trying to install fresh (again). Making a backup or setting up Time Machine is first on my list.

Seems like I'd be better off with a graphics card than without so I'm going to get one ASAP and try again. Everything went to crap. Can't boot into Mavericks in any form or fashion no matter what flags I choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back