Contribute
Register

Problem with software RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've using RAID 0 (2 x 3TB disks) since day 1 of my Hackintosh but recently I've been stumbling upon some problems.

It started last week when I was having some problems reading stuff from the RAID. Everything was really slow and the spinning wheel of death occurred over and over again. After I while I couldn't even see the disks in finder (but I can still see them in Disk Utility).
Screenshot 1

Anyone have a clue how to solve the problems with invisible/slow disks? The invisible disk is called 'Indigo' (But I can still use and see the disk called 'Backup' though). When I am trying to repair the RAID via Disk Utility this comes up:
Screenshot 2

Smart status seems to be ok:
Screenshot 3

Any clues on the problem? Is it solvable? If the disks are broken they are broken (I will not shed any tears :)

When I try to bootup from my backup-disk (a mirror of my regular OSX) called 'Backup' ('Backup' is on the same raid as 'Indigo') I get the opportunity to use 'Indigo' as it should be used. I can browse the file system, open movies etc. Any clues why it is like this?

When I try to bootup from my backup-disk (a mirror of my regular OSX) called 'Backup' ('Backup' is on the same raid as 'Indigo') I get the opportunity to use 'Indigo' as it should be used. I can browse the file system, open movies etc. Any clues why it is like this?

Sounds like the integrally of the Raid has been compromised, check your system logs using the console app.

Jay

Sounds like the integrally of the Raid has been compromised, check your system logs using the console app.

Jay

Any suggestions of what kind of search strings I can use to find the 'correct' information from the console?

Any suggestions of what kind of search strings I can use to find the 'correct' information from the console?

Fire up terminal and execute the following :-

Code:
diskutil list

You should get a dump of all your disk and partitions, find all the id's for the two raid member drives these should have 4 partitions (s0-s3), eg if your raid is made up of disk0 and disk1 then the helper partitions should have a type of 'Apple_Boot' and a name of 'Boot OSX X' and id's of 'disk0s3' and 'disk1s3' - note of all the ID's associated with both member drives disk0,disk0s1,disk0s2,disk0s3...etc also make a note of the raid volume identifier, in this case it would be 'disk2'.

try using these id's as search keys in the console app.
look for anything suspicious before trying to repair/rebuild the raid

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back