Titan
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Friends,

this year I bought a brand new HP z840 Workstation with the following technical Sepcs:

Processor: Intel® Xeon® E5-2620 v3 (2.4 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Chipset: Intel® C612
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC Registered RAM (4 x 4 GB)

Hard drive: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K4200

I tried to install OSX on this machine, but without success.

What I have done?
- I've check the BIOS settings as recommended
- Create a bootable USB Stick with UniBeast
- Boot from Stick

What happend?
If I choose OSX Yosemite at the bootscreen the machine loads some files from the usb stick but after a while it turns into a black screen and nothing happens.

It would be great if someone can help me.

Thank's in advance

Hi..!

I have both an HP Z820 and a Z840. I've been trying to hack both with no success but I get farther. They both start but then just hang. One with Titan X and the other K5200. Those both hang at Pci config so I installed an old 8800GT and it gets farther but hangs at "Missing bluetooth controller transport!"

I have a friend who's successfully got his Z820 going and I saw it online but it was years ago and he can't remember how to do it anymore...

I'd to try to get either Z or both online...I'm happy to try this on my end. I've come across some Z820 that were successful but the info is dated and when I try to follow I get stuck. The Z840 I'm not aware of anyone who's been successful but I'd think it should have a chance since it's very similar to the Z820.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...maybe if this gets online I can create a guide to help others. These are beast of Workstations and work great in windows...but love options right..!

Cheers..!

I have a 12 core HP Z600 running Mountain Lion perfectly (even better than a mac, the only problem was for install you need JMicron36xATA.kext in /Extra/Extensions to enable the internal HDD controler).
A few days ago I found a deal and bought an HP Z820 hoping for the same easy flawless results , and have spent the last couple of days trying to get OSX to work on it.
There are some problems, however some things do work and it's just a matter of trying things and having lots of patience and an SSD drive with many test partitions for quick cloning when it works and rebooting when it doesn't.
I tested with Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, and here are my notes.

For speed, I used Unibeast but instead of a USB, I actually used empty SSD partitions for installers and just created a Chimera USB bootloader stick with the latest build.
The Z820 specs are 2xE5-2670 - 64GB Ram - Wifi-TEW624 USB - (I removed all other cards for testing) - My video card is an old HP Quadro FX1700 that works perfectly in my Z600 but it failed to load with full acceleration on the Z820 (my backup video card also didn't work Quadro FX580) black screen or endless spinning wheel, frozen after Bluetooth message in verbose boot. So In order to get to the installers, I used the flags "nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000".
The SAS and SCU controllers don't work, so you have to use the 2 internal grey SATA ports for your HDD.
Bios settings are simple, plain AHCI mode in Storage-Storage Options-SATA Mode (not Raid+AHCI!) and make sure virtualization is disabled in Security-System Security VTx.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5
After Install run Multibeast - Easybeast settings + for Network use Intel kext (I believe only one port works, even though both show up), for audio google and download VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg, Firewire shows up in system profiler, but can't test it. USB3 works using GenericUSBXHCI.kext. System Definition use MacPro 5,1. ***** Not working SAS+SCU (Processor shows as Unknown)

Mavericks 10.9.5
After Install run Multibeast - DSDT Free settings + Drivers Trim Enabler, All FakeSMC + HW Monitor works! + VodooTSCSync 8 core for Network use Intel kext (I believe only one port works, even though both show up), for audio google and download VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg, don't use KernelCache, for System Definition use MacPro 6,1. Insert the following in smbios <key>SMoemcputype</key> <string>2561</string> so it recognizes CPU Type. ***** Not working: USB3, SAS+SCU, Firewire

Yosemite 10.10
To install, had to use boot flags ' nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 cpus=31 -x -f ' or else I get kernel panics galore.
Tried similar settings to Mavericks on Multibeast, but Yosemite runs much slower than other 2, and since most kexts don't work, + no wifi drivers for my USB dongle, no USB3, SAS+SCU, Firewire, etc... I Gave up on this version. (It also froze every 3-4 boots at login screen)

Looks like I'll get a better Video card and keep working away at Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

I hope more people buy these fantastic machines and support gets better, since they are faster than the best MacPros, and a lot cheaper (if you buy on ebay), I guess the problem is that they used to be very expensive machines, and their motherboard is rare, so a few things need to be solved still.

I managed to extract the DSDT using windows (all OSX apps crash on extract), but I don't know enough to patch it on my own.

Last edited:
I have a 12 core HP Z600 running Mountain Lion perfectly (even better than a mac, the only problem was for install you need JMicron36xATA.kext in /Extra/Extensions to enable the internal HDD controler).
A few days ago I found a deal and bought an HP Z820 hoping for the same easy flawless results , and have spent the last couple of days trying to get OSX to work on it.
There are some problems, however some things do work and it's just a matter of trying things and having lots of patience and an SSD drive with many test partitions for quick cloning when it works and rebooting when it doesn't.
I tested with Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, and here are my notes.

For speed, I used Unibeast but instead of a USB, I actually used empty SSD partitions for installers and just created a Chimera USB bootloader stick with the latest build.
The Z820 specs are 2xE5-2670 - 64GB Ram - Wifi-TEW624 USB - (I removed all other cards for testing) - My video card is an old HP Quadro FX1700 that works perfectly in my Z600 but it failed to load with full acceleration on the Z820 (my backup video card also didn't work Quadro FX580) black screen or endless spinning wheel, frozen after Bluetooth message in verbose boot. So In order to get to the installers, I used the flags "nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000".
The SAS and SCU controllers don't work, so you have to use the 2 internal grey SATA ports for your HDD.
Bios settings are simple, plain AHCI mode in Storage-Storage Options-SATA Mode (not Raid+AHCI!) and make sure virtualization is disabled in Security-System Security VTx.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5
After Install run Multibeast - Easybeast settings + for Network use Intel kext (I believe only one port works, even though both show up), for audio google and download VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg, Firewire shows up in system profiler, but can't test it. USB3 works using GenericUSBXHCI.kext. System Definition use MacPro 5,1. ***** Not working SAS+SCU (Processor shows as Unknown)

Mavericks 10.9.5
After Install run Multibeast - DSDT Free settings + Drivers Trim Enabler, All FakeSMC + HW Monitor works! + VodooTSCSync 8 core for Network use Intel kext (I believe only one port works, even though both show up), for audio google and download VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg, don't use KernelCache, for System Definition use MacPro 6,1. Insert the following in smbios <key>SMoemcputype</key> <string>2561</string> so it recognizes CPU Type. ***** Not working: USB3, SAS+SCU, Firewire

Yosemite 10.10
To install, had to use boot flags ' nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 cpus=31 -x -f ' or else I get kernel panics galore.
Tried similar settings to Mavericks on Multibeast, but Yosemite runs much slower than other 2, and since most kexts don't work, + no wifi drivers for my USB dongle, no USB3, SAS+SCU, Firewire, etc... I Gave up on this version. (It also froze every 3-4 boots at login screen)

Looks like I'll get a better Video card and keep working away at Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

I hope more people buy these fantastic machines and support gets better, since they are faster than the best MacPros, and a lot cheaper (if you buy on ebay), I guess the problem is that they used to be very expensive machines, and their motherboard is rare, so a few things need to be solved still.

I managed to extract the DSDT using windows (all OSX apps crash on extract), but I don't know enough to patch it on my own.

Thx a mil for sharin all this info man...id love to be usin this machine(z820)I have one just waiting for this...but had to put it on the back burner but down to give it another go...true there's not enough info out there to get these boxes up but when you do these things are amazing...!

Here is a list of the extra kexts I used along with smbios and chameleon.Boot. just copy the folder to /Extra after iboot installation and install Chamaleon with Chameleon Wizard to get the latest build for bootloader.

They work very well for Mountain Lion. (could also use them for mavericks)
Firewire, SAS, SCU and CPU Type do not work, but everything else does.
I guess because ML can't natively address the CPU's to optimize, there is a 0.3% performance drop from Mavericks CPU-wise, but it feels faster and Video is more compatible and USB3 works, which it doesn't in Mavericks.

Anyone in here that can help us with patching a DSDT?

Attachments

• Z820-Install-files.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 184
Do you success of installing Mac OS X?
How about adding cpus=31 in boot flags?

Hello Friends,

this year I bought a brand new HP z840 Workstation with the following technical Sepcs:

Processor: Intel® Xeon® E5-2620 v3 (2.4 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 cores)
Chipset: Intel® C612
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC Registered RAM (4 x 4 GB)

Hard drive: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K4200

I tried to install OSX on this machine, but without success.

What I have done?
- I've check the BIOS settings as recommended
- Create a bootable USB Stick with UniBeast
- Boot from Stick

What happend?
If I choose OSX Yosemite at the bootscreen the machine loads some files from the usb stick but after a while it turns into a black screen and nothing happens.

It would be great if someone can help me.

Thank's in advance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back