Problem installing SL on 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay Rehabman, time for me to bug you again :rolleyes:. I needed to redo my hard drive, as I could no longer access my Ubuntu and OS X partitions from your Lion Multi-Boot guide. However, I realized that I had lost my Unibeast drive!!! :banghead: I tried to install Unibeast on another 8gb flash drive, but the installation always failed. I used my iBoot CD and Snow Leopard DVD to follow your guide. I have SL bootable via iBoot and Windows booting fine. But following this guide, the 10.6.8 Combo installer always fails. It doesn't hang or crash my computer, but says "Installation Failed". I have used UpdateHelper, but the Combo Update still fails.
Any ideas?

Guide to Installing Snow Leopard on HP Probook

Okay Rehabman, time for me to bug you again :rolleyes:. I needed to redo my hard drive, as I could no longer access my Ubuntu and OS X partitions from your Lion Multi-Boot guide. However, I realized that I had lost my Unibeast drive!!! :banghead: I tried to install Unibeast on another 8gb flash drive, but the installation always failed. I used my iBoot CD and Snow Leopard DVD to follow your guide. I have SL bootable via iBoot and Windows booting fine. But following this guide, the 10.6.8 Combo installer always fails. It doesn't hang or crash my computer, but says "Installation Failed". I have used UpdateHelper, but the Combo Update still fails.
Any ideas?

Check your install.log. Make sure you're using genuine Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Store.

The DVD's install log, or one from that installer?
{EDIT} I retried the installer and read its log. It seems that when it gets to "About 3 Minutes Left", it fails to read something that looks like "osx subasesystem". It says it is in an unknown format or unreadable or something like that.

The DVD's install log, or one from that installer?
{EDIT} I retried the installer and read its log. It seems that when it gets to "About 3 Minutes Left", it fails to read something that looks like "osx subasesystem". It says it is in an unknown format or unreadable or something like that.

I thought your failure was in the combo update, not initial SL DVD install?

It was from the Combo Update. As it turns out, when I copied the DMG for the combo update to my flash drive, it had been corrupted/screwed up somehow. I downloaded a fresh copy of the DMG on Windows, and copied it over onto my SL drive. It worked perfectly. However, everytime that I use the ProBook installer, I can't boot into SL. I chose the support kexts for 10.6.8 and the Chameleon bootloader. It gets past the Apple Logo and goes to a blank grey screen. When I boot verbose, it goes from the scrolling text to a blank black screen.

It was from the Combo Update. As it turns out, when I copied the DMG for the combo update to my flash drive, it had been corrupted/screwed up somehow. I downloaded a fresh copy of the DMG on Windows, and copied it over onto my SL drive. It worked perfectly. However, everytime that I use the ProBook installer, I can't boot into SL. I chose the support kexts for 10.6.8 and the Chameleon bootloader. It gets past the Apple Logo and goes to a blank grey screen. When I boot verbose, it goes from the scrolling text to a blank black screen.

Did you do DSDT patches? They are necessary... Follow the guide step-by-step and it should work.

Also, system definition, SSDT, etc. Read the guide... it has instructions for all of this.

Should I install the dsdt after I install everything else? I only have 4gb of ram.

Should I install the dsdt after I install everything else? I only have 4gb of ram.

With only 4gb of RAM you can do it at the outset. But it doesn't really matter...

FYI: F09 BIOS is pretty old. I doubt that is the issue, but I'm not sure why you haven't upgraded...

I installed the DSDT at the same time as all the other stuff from the ProBook Installer, and I get a KP upon booting with no flags, and it gives me the black screen after booting with boot flags (-v included). Also, I have F09 still because I don't want to update and I don't know how to.

I installed the DSDT at the same time as all the other stuff from the ProBook Installer, and I get a KP upon booting with no flags, and it gives me the black screen after booting with boot flags (-v included). Also, I have F09 still because I don't want to update and I don't know how to.

What was the KP? Take a quality photo of the entire screen...

Perhaps you forgot SSDT?

Updating BIOS is easy and is described at HP.COM where you download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back