Contribute
Register

Preparing a Lenovo 710s 7200U Samsung NVMe for OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldnt keep my hands off the computer.

I have reinstalled and installed Clover. For the time, I will try to clone the USB EFI (all kexts in EFI and not S/L/E yet).

But it wont boot. I can only boot by USB. When USB is not inserted, the computer doesnt find anything. I cant find the Clover option in BIOS either, only the USB. Bios is still looking for Windows Boot Manager (which isn't there).

Edit: ITS WORKING!

I had renamed the Boot folder boot.bak to avoid the old Boot entries bug
I also made sure to disable the driver block on the built in hfs-vbox64 driver (wrong name but maybe you know which one it is). Now it's booting!

Edit: One must also switch from "Pure UEFI" boot mode to "Legacy support".

Last edited:
I ended up on the desktop after install but I think I screwed up the kext and Clover installation. I get prohibited sign now when I try to boot, and cannot boot without USB. Cannot enter Recovery. I'll have to retry. But at least it looks like this is possible.

Will get back on this tomorrow.

Make sure you setup Clover just as for USB (kexts, config.plist, ACPI/patched, drivers64UEFI).
And if you install FakeSMC.kext to the system volume, don't forget to also install other kexts you have in EFI/Clover/kexts to the system volume (kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts are ignored if FakeSMC.kext is installed and InjectKexts=Detect).

I am now up and running. I boot from the SSD.

For future reference in case of a guide, I have attached EFI/Clover, to be put on a USB with 11.6 Installer, for installing on this particular computer model after updating to the new BIOS by Lenovo and removing SMR partition.

I have quite a few problems still.

* About my Mac recognize the CPU as an Intel Xeon. I found this ID for the 6200U which is what I'm trying to spoof: 0x1916 but it doesn't look like the value that's in my config.plist at all. Is this another type of ID, not to be used with Clover?

* I'm having graphical glitches, I think they are called tearing. They are horizontal, grey and all over the screen during screen renders/updates. I don't know what to do about them. Should I apply KextsToPatches for 620 or 520, which is what my GFX is supposed to be spoofed as, right? I do seem to have acceleration though.

* The FakeSMC.kext is still in Clover/Kexts/. I'm afraid to move it, thinking it might ruin the install and then be conflicting with the USB booter, which has it in /kexts/ (and they cannot co-exist in both kexts/ and S/L/E during boot, can they?).
Should it be moved to S/L/E or L/E/? I saw you mention L/E specifically for 10.11 several times in the Clover guide but I'm not sure if it applies to FakeSMC. Where should VoodooController go?

* I'm using Macbook Air System Definition. I'd like to try Macbook Pro. The newest macbook pro 13 inch has the 6200U processor family. It might work nicely, but what risks are there? I remember when I tried the MacPro 5,1 definition on my desktop instead of my proven iMac17,1. That was a nightmare.

* I cannot see battery status. This, along with screen brightness adjusting, seems to be explained in a very large thread about ACPI patching. I barely have energy to even think about it, but it will just have to be done... some time.

* Wifi. Is there any kext for even trying for my card? I saw an insanelymac thread about some other people (noobs) asking for the same card but there was no answer or suggestion.

Attachments

• CLOVER Lenovo 710s IKB.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:
* About my Mac recognize the CPU as an Intel Xeon. I found this ID for the 6200U which is what I'm trying to spoof: 0x1916 but it doesn't look like the value that's in my config.plist at all. Is this another type of ID, not to be used with Clover?

Cosmetic only. Probably a Clover issue with Kaby Lake.

* I'm having graphical glitches, I think they are called tearing. They are horizontal, grey and all over the screen during screen renders/updates. I don't know what to do about them. Should I apply KextsToPatches for 620 or 520, which is what my GFX is supposed to be spoofed as, right? I do seem to have acceleration though.

Only guesses possible without typical "Problem Reporting" files...
But I suspect you didn't install FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext.

* The FakeSMC.kext is still in Clover/Kexts/. I'm afraid to move it,

Should never be "moved". Essential kexts are installed both to the system volume and EFI/Clover/kexts. All kexts you need are installed to the system volume.

It is covered in detail in the guide.

* I'm using Macbook Air System Definition. I'd like to try Macbook Pro. The newest macbook pro 13 inch has the 6200U processor family. It might work nicely, but what risks are there? I remember when I tried the MacPro 5,1 definition on my desktop instead of my proven iMac17,1. That was a nightmare.

You can try an modern SMBIOS, but I doubt you'll notice any difference.
Although, SMBIOS for Apple laptops that have dual graphics can tend to cause problems.

* I cannot see battery status. This, along with screen brightness adjusting, seems to be explained in a very large thread about ACPI patching. I barely have energy to even think about it, but it will just have to be done... some time.

See guide linked by FAQ.

* Wifi. Is there any kext for even trying for my card? I saw an insanelymac thread about some other people (noobs) asking for the same card but there was no answer or suggestion.

Read FAQ.

Cosmetic only. Probably a Clover issue with Kaby Lake.

Only guesses possible without typical "Problem Reporting" files...
But I suspect you didn't install FakePCIID.kext+FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext.

Should never be "moved". Essential kexts are installed both to the system volume and EFI/Clover/kexts. All kexts you need are installed to the system volume.

It is covered in detail in the guide.

You can try an modern SMBIOS, but I doubt you'll notice any difference.
Although, SMBIOS for Apple laptops that have dual graphics can tend to cause problems.

See guide linked by FAQ.

Read FAQ.
No, I didn't. I'll try and get them now.

I didn't mean "move", I meant install using KextBeast or another method. I am still not sure if to put them in S/L/E or /L/E?

Alright, I'll stay with the Air SMBIOS.

Yes, I will have to follow the guides.

New observation: My CPU is only reported to have 1 core in System Report.

Edit: The kexts have successfully removed the tearing. And the CPU now has two cores! This is great, thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't mean "move", I meant install using KextBeast or another method. I am still not sure if to put them in S/L/E or /L/E?

Kexts can be installed either to /S/L/E or /L/E. Your choice. I like to install to /L/E as there are less kexts. I use Terminal:
Code:
sudo cp -R KextToInstall /Library/Extensions

And to rebuild cache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Kexts can be installed either to /S/L/E or /L/E. Your choice. I like to install to /L/E as there are less kexts. I use Terminal:
Code:
sudo cp -R KextToInstall /Library/Extensions

And to rebuild cache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
I will do that.

I have some weird news: The built in bluetooth is working with the same kexts I used for installing. I am writing this from the laptop using my iPhone as modem, getting speeds of over 144 kb/s. I can also connect using my iPhone and USB. And the built in camera works too.

Getting errors while using ssdtPRGen :

Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacBookAir6,2' with board-id [Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5]

Kaby Lake Core i5-7200U processor [0x806E9] setup [0x0402]

With a maximum TDP of 15 Watt, as specified by Intel

Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)

Number of Turbo States: 6 (2600-3100 MHz)

Number of P-States: 27 (500-3100 MHz)

Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)

Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0402 instead of 0x0902)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

Error: board-id [Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

As I see it, I have two options. Ignore the error and put the .dsl in /Patched. I wouldn't want to do this unless you think it might work out. Or. Fill out the SMBIOS values correctly, which I was gonna do eventually anyway. The Fix iMessages guide will work good for that, won't it?

Last edited:
Updates:

Decided to use the ssdt.aml even though there was an error. It boots. Not sure if its implemented, haven't HWMonitor yet.

Applied AAPL, Gsomething patch by Pike. Solved the rest of the graphics glitch.

Activated all 8 GB ram using Clover.

Tried Macbook Pro Skylake SMBios. Boot fail. Rolling back to Macbook Air 7,2.

Filled out all forms in SMBIOS using Magic Wand. Have not connected iCloud yet, will wait until I can confirm working and unused serial.

Next on the list is getting battery info working.

I will do that.

I have some weird news: The built in bluetooth is working with the same kexts I used for installing. I am writing this from the laptop using my iPhone as modem, getting speeds of over 144 kb/s. I can also connect using my iPhone and USB. And the built in camera works too.

Getting errors while using ssdtPRGen :

Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacBookAir6,2' with board-id [Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5]

Kaby Lake Core i5-7200U processor [0x806E9] setup [0x0402]

With a maximum TDP of 15 Watt, as specified by Intel

Number logical CPU's: 4 (Core Frequency: 2500 MHz)

Number of Turbo States: 6 (2600-3100 MHz)

Number of P-States: 27 (500-3100 MHz)

Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)

Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0402 instead of 0x0902)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

Error: board-id [Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

As I see it, I have two options. Ignore the error and put the .dsl in /Patched. I wouldn't want to do this unless you think it might work out. Or. Fill out the SMBIOS values correctly, which I was gonna do eventually anyway. The Fix iMessages guide will work good for that, won't it?

You can ignore it or generate using Skylake SMBIOS (eg. iMac17,1).
*.dsl files do not go in ACPI/patched. Only AML.

Lol: Do not turn on FileVault for your hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back