HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So i am about to order a powermac g5 case. There are so many examples online i am looking for the right one to stick with step by step instructions. (point me in right direction)

So far here is what i know i have to do. Not sure if there are new methods

Buy a back plate and mobo tray (where's the best place to get)

- cut the back of the case to fit the ne wback plate (best thing to use to cut? what should i buy to cut? Drill needed?)
-not sure which model case is best (2004 or 2005 does it matter?)
Do i need to buy or do anything to the front power button etc? (not sure if all models need this change
I have Ds3h motherboard

thanks

Take a look at the G5 mods listed in my signature. After you have reviewed them, feel free to ask any questions.

Good Luck
chaos

So far here is what i know i have to do. Not sure if there are new methods. Buy a back plate and mobo tray
Replacing the back plate is one option, another is to use the existing PCI slots, and do some cutting to the IO ports to allow access (many variants of this exist). This gives a more original look if done right.

cut the back of the case to fit the ne wback plate (best thing to use to cut? what should i buy to cut? Drill needed?)
The best thing to use is a rotary cutting tool, commonly known as a Dremel.

not sure which model case is best (2004 or 2005 does it matter?)
Do i need to buy or do anything to the front power button etc? (not sure if all models need this change)
All models require re-wiring the front panel, but the 2004 and earlier model are much easier as it uses standard header plugs, you can actually buy a pre-made cable. late 2005 models are much more difficult, and require soldering. You can interchange the front panel board between these two models.

In my opinion the 2005 model is better if you want to re-use the space at the front (bottom) of the case for a big water cooler or HDD. The 2004 and before models have an acrylic inner case panel which limits the internal volume of the case. This panel was designed to constrict airflow through the main CPU fans. in the 2005 model the design was changed, upshot is you have full use of the space.

thanks i haven't heard of this method
Replacing the back plate is one option, another is to use the existing PCI slots, and do some cutting to the IO ports to allow access (many variants of this exist). This gives a more original look if done right.

I will continue to search didn't know it was this tough

Its not really hard. And it is very rewarding. There are many ways to mod a G5 and many difficulty levels from fairly simple to very complex. For example my simple G5 mod was completed in only one day.

Chaos

You have to decide what you need the computer for and what features are important to you. e.g.

• CPU Performance - If a fast CPU is important, then an over-clockable CPU, and maybe a water-cooled solution.
  • Storage Capacity - If you need lots of HDD's (>2) then the standard drive bay will have to be supplemented or replaced.
  • Expandability - Do you need a ATX motherboard with 7 PCI cards, or is mATX sufficient.
  • Aesthetics - What sort of appearance (rear panel, inside) are you happy with,
  • Warranty on Parts - One common approach is to transplant a standard PSU into the apple case, this voids warranty, is this important to you.
  • Skill and tools - What skills and tools do you possess, e.g. some people arn't comfortable with a soldering iron.
Once you have answered some of the above, and established what your goals are, then you should be able to find a style of build that suits your needs.

...cut the back of the case to fit the ne wback plate (best thing to use to cut? what should i buy to cut? Drill needed?)...

Tools used so far on my G5 mod:
Drill with selection of bits and holesaws
Selection of files
Jigsaw with metal blade
4" Angle grinder
Dremel with cutting and sanding tools
Tin snips
Sheet metal nibbler
Various clamps
Good steel rule
Pop riveter

But I only used them because I had them. ;)

Its not really hard. And it is very rewarding. There are many ways to mod a G5 and many difficulty levels from fairly simple to very complex. For example my simple G5 mod was completed in only one day.

Chaos
I looked at your simple g5 case mod looks easier than others but i am not sure about the power cord part. Not sure if i'm skilled enough to do that
Also the cutting is one thing i'm gonna have to get right how did you measure the cut i don't have a g5 case to see so thats why i am asking. I am using the z77-ds3h motherboard and i never found anything on not cutting the back panel not sure what is done with this method

I am also looking at the mac pro mod since it has 2 dive bays

and what kindd of motherboard standoffs should i use? I am on amazon looking but don't want to choose the wrong ones. (this method will avoid spending on motherboard tray) but do i still need to buy back panel?

You could always consider the custom G5 motherboard trays and backplates made by The Laser Hive as it's probably the easiest way to mod a G5 case. The guy that runs The Laser Hive goes by the name of minihack on these forums so perhaps PM him if you have any questions or try googling to find the LH website.

Whilst not the cheapest method initially (they're made here in the UK so postage could be an added expense) you should also consider the cost of tools and materials you'd need if you're going the fully DIY route.

There are quite few Mac Pro case mods on these forums too so I'd do a search and see if its likely to be easier/more difficult than the G5 cases. I also think you may struggle to find a Mac Pro case available as cheaply as a G5 case, but then those drive bays are pretty damn sweet... :)

Anyway, good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back