Graphics
Sapphire Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everybody I have the HP Probook 4530s and I installed my aftermarket Atheros card to get my wifi working and I am every pleased with what this laptop can do with OSX and thank all the developers that made this possible, you are saving us thousands of dollars. So I am on 10.8.2 and I cannot get these graphic glitch lines to go away. Usually it's just lines like right now there are a few in the dock horizontal (never vertical) and when I am in Aperture (usually just full screen mode) showing pictures to clients for photo-shoots, these tetris looking chucks just appear in the middle of the picture and also in other programs or even just randomly like it finder windows this happens again with the horizontal lines. I've used both installers the official 5, and the beta 6 and checked the "Graphics glitch fix" and no luck. Is there something I'm missing? Do other people have this problem?

Also more often then not when I wake the Probook up from sleep it takes like 8-10 seconds to go back to the login screen. Is that fixable in the sleep to RAM? I'm afraid to do this and have my probook not start up after a sleep.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hi everybody I have the HP Probook 4530s and I installed my aftermarket Atheros card to get my wifi working and I am every pleased with what this laptop can do with OSX and thank all the developers that made this possible, you are saving us thousands of dollars. So I am on 10.8.2 and I cannot get these graphic glitch lines to go away. Usually it's just lines like right now there are a few in the dock horizontal (never vertical) and when I am in Aperture (usually just full screen mode) showing pictures to clients for photo-shoots, these tetris looking chucks just appear in the middle of the picture and also in other programs or even just randomly like it finder windows this happens again with the horizontal lines. I've used both installers the official 5, and the beta 6 and checked the "Graphics glitch fix" and no luck. Is there something I'm missing? Do other people have this problem?

Also more often then not when I wake the Probook up from sleep it takes like 8-10 seconds to go back to the login screen. Is that fixable in the sleep to RAM? I'm afraid to do this and have my probook not start up after a sleep.

Thanks for the help in advance!

For graphic glitches, try:
- EDID generator
- patching your own DSDT
- EC reset (shutdown, remove battery, remove AC, hold power 60s, put everything back and restart)
(probably in that order, or at least EC reset after each)

For sleep, it sounds like your laptop is entering hibernation. Are you leaving it sit there in sleep on battery? My understanding is that OS X enters hibernate from sleep after the battery drains to a certain level. Better, of course, to leave it in sleep when plugged in. You can turn off hibernation to disable that:

Code:
# In Terminal
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

It is advisable to do this on systems with SSD because you really don't want the system writing 4-8GB of RAM contents to the SSD every time it enters sleep. Mine is setup that way, and my resume from sleep is instant.

BTW I have already installed EDID information and I have patched my own DSDT, but last sunday I made an EC reset and removed the SMCPing daemon. Now, I'm running my system without the SMCPing daemon and with zero glitches so far. It seems your presumption, that the combination EC reset/patched vanilla DSDT have something to do with these glitches, is maybe correct. :thumbup:

BTW I have already installed EDID information and I have patched my own DSDT, but last sunday I made an EC reset and removed the SMCPing daemon. Now, I'm running my system without the SMCPing daemon and with zero glitches so far. It seems your presumption, that the combination EC reset/patched vanilla DSDT have something to do with these glitches, is maybe correct. :thumbup:

Yes, over and over, I'm confirming the same here. When I'm not paying attention doing a clean install, sometimes I instinctively select a DSDT from the installer, then get glitches, even on my main install using my own DSDT. Now, whenever I (accidentally) use an installer DSDT, I automatically change it out to my own, and do an EC reset... no more glitches.

It does seem that now graphic glitches, in addition to the IOAPIC boot delay, are reasons to not use a foreign DSDT, and to always patch your own.

For graphic glitches, try:
- EDID generator
- patching your own DSDT
- EC reset (shutdown, remove battery, remove AC, hold power 60s, put everything back and restart)
(probably in that order, or at least EC reset after each)

For sleep, it sounds like your laptop is entering hibernation. Are you leaving it sit there in sleep on battery? My understanding is that OS X enters hibernate from sleep after the battery drains to a certain level. Better, of course, to leave it in sleep when plugged in. You can turn off hibernation to disable that:

Code:
# In Terminal
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

It is advisable to do this on systems with SSD because you really don't want the system writing 4-8GB of RAM contents to the SSD every time it enters sleep. Mine is setup that way, and my resume from sleep is instant.

I've done an EC reset a couple days ago because my ethernet wasn't working after Parallels messed it up (i think), parallels also makes my laptop instantly reboot (crash) after it tries to load up a virtual OS even with virtualization enabled

And the hibernation makes sense, I have no idea why I didn't think about that in the first place. I am very mobile with my probook and hardly ever have it plugged in while sleeping so that totally makes sense. But one thing I noticed was even when it's plugged in on my desk it still takes 8-10seconds to resume. not a big deal I guess but I will try that terminal input!

I'm totally up for patching my own DSDT, I think mine now came from the installer. but for me DSDT's have always been a trouble somehow starting with my desktop hackintosh. The dsdt's from the tonymac database have never worked for me and I can't figure out why. How would I go about patching my own for this latptop. I'm not very good with dsdt code and editing but I'm totally up for learning and trying it as long as it's not too risky. Thanks for the quick replies by the way guys!

I've done an EC reset a couple days ago because my ethernet wasn't working after Parallels messed it up (i think), parallels also makes my laptop instantly reboot (crash) after it tries to load up a virtual OS even with virtualization enabled

And the hibernation makes sense, I have no idea why I didn't think about that in the first place. I am very mobile with my probook and hardly ever have it plugged in while sleeping so that totally makes sense. But one thing I noticed was even when it's plugged in on my desk it still takes 8-10seconds to resume. not a big deal I guess but I will try that terminal input!

I'm totally up for patching my own DSDT, I think mine now came from the installer. but for me DSDT's have always been a trouble somehow starting with my desktop hackintosh. The dsdt's from the tonymac database have never worked for me and I can't figure out why. How would I go about patching my own for this latptop. I'm not very good with dsdt code and editing but I'm totally up for learning and trying it as long as it's not too risky. Thanks for the quick replies by the way guys!

For patching your DSDT, follow this guide: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

Fwiw, I had random glitches even after installing the 1080p screen. Added in a cheap 4GB stick of Kingston Valueram a couple of weeks back and haven't seen one glitch since. Probably worth a shot.

Fwiw, I had random glitches even after installing the 1080p screen. Added in a cheap 4GB stick of Kingston Valueram a couple of weeks back and haven't seen one glitch since. Probably worth a shot.

I will second that. I also have a 1080p screen and graphical glitches with 4 gb ram. I installed 16 gb and 10.8.3 reports 512 MB graphics memory, up from 386 MB before, but all you need is 8 GB for OS X to up the graphics memory to 512 MB. All of my glitches are now gone.

I will second that. I also have a 1080p screen and graphical glitches with 4 gb ram. I installed 16 gb and 10.8.3 reports 512 MB graphics memory, up from 386 MB before, but all you need is 8 GB for OS X to up the graphics memory to 512 MB. All of my glitches are now gone.

i second that also, threw in 16gb and no more glitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back