Contribute
Register

Possible to install Ventura on external SSD to test injection of AppleFWAudio.kext?

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I"m running Monterey and I'm only doing so because of my need for FireWire for CoreAudio.

I was able to install Ventura, but wiped it and went back to Monterey when I discovered Apple ripped that out of Ventura.

I'd like to test injecting the AppleFWAudio.kext from Monterey into Ventura with the latest OC as I've heard of talk that it might be possible.

Can I install Ventura on an External SSD while leaving Monterey on my main NVMe drive?

If so, are there any tips to getting that working or possible problems I might introduce?

Never mind!

I installed Ventura painlessly and then added AppleFWAudio.kext from the last Monterey update as the last kext to be injected and I can use my FireFace 400 Firewire audio interface with Ventura.

Problem .. Solved!!!

Problem .. Solved!!!
Hi there, @exquirentibus ! I am in a similar situation and I hope you could help me: I just upgraded my Z490 to Ventura, but then realized that it won't support my Apogee Ensemble Firewire as it had previously.

However, my attempts to fix this by injecting the applefwaudio.kext kext I had from Catalina failed: it just would not install properly. The Firewire interface itself is visible in the device manager, and so is the Ensemble—the problem is that it is not treating the Ensemble as an audio device.

Could you suggest in a little more detail exactly what you did and how it worked, and perhaps provide the kext itself?

I'm using OpenCore 0.8.8. If you're Not using OpenCore, then use OCAT to get that set up: Beginners Guide to using OC Auxiliary Tools App (Also known as OCAT)

0.8.8 is not the latest but I tend to Not change things when they aren't broken. Just updated to the latest Ventura update.

Here's the kext I'm using and I just added this into my config.plist by hand (very carefully lol)

<dict>
<key>Arch</key>
<string>Any</string>
<key>BundlePath</key>
<string>AppleFWAudio.kext</string>
<key>Comment</key>
<string></string>
<key>Enabled</key>
<true/>
<key>ExecutablePath</key>
<string>Contents/MacOS/AppleFWAudio</string>
<key>MaxKernel</key>