EVGA geForce GTX 260
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I finally installed ML and updated it to 10.8.1. After installation I used Mulibeast to install Chameleon Boot Loader. It installed fine, when I restart Chameleon Boot Loader starts BUT when I choose OSX System to boot it loads shiny apple logo and the loading wheel just keeps spinning non stop and nothing happens.

I have the USB Boot with ML installer on it. And it boots OSX perfectly fine when i use Chameleon Boot Loader that was loaded on to USB.

I am at a brick wall now I have no idea what to do anymore. This is my second hackintosh first one was Snow Leopard and it was a breeze to install.

Oh and please if you do suggest something can you please explain how to do it? or give me a link and shows how to do it?

Also my Windows 8 does not boot from Chameleon Boot Loader that MultiBeast installed.

Thank you in advance.

Stan

Hi everyone,

I finally installed ML and updated it to 10.8.1. After installation I used Mulibeast to install Chameleon Boot Loader. It installed fine, when I restart Chameleon Boot Loader starts BUT when I choose OSX System to boot it loads shiny apple logo and the loading wheel just keeps spinning non stop and nothing happens.

I have the USB Boot with ML installer on it. And it boots OSX perfectly fine when i use Chameleon Boot Loader that was loaded on to USB.

I am at a brick wall now I have no idea what to do anymore. This is my second hackintosh first one was Snow Leopard and it was a breeze to install.

Oh and please if you do suggest something can you please explain how to do it? or give me a link and shows how to do it?

Also my Windows 8 does not boot from Chameleon Boot Loader that MultiBeast installed.

Thank you in advance.

Stan

Stan - compare the "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" files in the Extra directory of the boot drive - both on the USB stick and the hard-drive you've installed to. If you can't see anything, download ShowAllFiles from here and run it, choosing SHOW. etc

The plist on the HD is created by MultiBeast and may differ quite significantly from the UniBeast USB one.

If it does, simply copy the UniBeast file over the MultiBeast one and reboot. That way, from what you say, you should get a self-booting system.

Then... change each line in the plist one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

If you are not confident doing this simply use the UniBeast plist for now.

Hi UtterDisbelief,

I found the org.chameleon.Boot.plist that was on the USB, but i can not find the same file on OSX hard drive.

In OSX>Extra> folder there is nothing there except for Themes Folder and hidden .DS_Store file.

Should I just drop the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in to my OSX Extra folder anyway?

And also this all the info in org.Chameleon from usb is this correct?

---------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

---------------------

Thank you

Stan

Hi UtterDisbelief,

I found the org.chameleon.Boot.plist that was on the USB, but i can not find the same file on OSX hard drive.

In OSX>Extra> folder there is nothing there except for Themes Folder and hidden .DS_Store file.

Should I just drop the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in to my OSX Extra folder anyway?

And also this all the info in org.Chameleon from usb is this correct?

---------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

---------------------

Thank you

Stan

Yes, that's the UniBeast plist alright. :)

And what you have in the Extra folder is correct too - except you should also have an "smbios.plist" as well. This is the file which tells the Mac what type of machine it is etc. It is usually created by MultiBeast.

You could copy the UniBeast one across to your hard-drive Extra folder too as it gives a default spec of Mac Pro 3,1 which is a good all-rounder, just to see it it gets your machine to self-boot.

I wonder why MultiBeast didn't install it though...

I guess your 10.8.0 system booted ok originally? If so run MultiBeast 5.0.2 again and make sure you chose either EasyBeast or User DSDT, depending on your motherboard etc. and whether or not Tonymacx86 has a DSDT for it.

Best of luck!

I did that you told me and copied the WHOLE Extra folder from USB and replaced OSX Extra folder. that Worked :)

One problem tho which I have is now I can not boot in to windows from Chameleon, both from USB or OSX HDD.

I attached a screenshot that I get.

When I go motherboard boot (F11) and I pick hard drive that contains my Windows 8 it boots perfectly.

Any suggestion who I can fix this?

Thank you so much for you help.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,233
Good news Stan! :)

Two things now occur to me...

1) if your Windows system is on a separate hard drive then it should show up in the Chameleon boot screen. If not was your Windows system built with AHCI enabled drivers? I guess so if it worked before etc. There is plenty of advice on here for customising Chameleon.

I also guess it depends on the size and type of hard drive you installed W-8 on. Is it over 1TB for example?

2) If you are feeling brave you can try using MultiBeast 502 to make amendments now that you are booting, to add functionality that is probably missing right now, but remember to check that the vital settings from the UniBeast "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" are not over-written.

You haven't said how you set all this up previously, nor what the details of your hardware are, so it's difficult to offer more advice at this stage.

Best of luck again though! :)

Hi UtterDisbelief,

Windows 8 is on a separate HHD, and its my primary system. This HDD is exactly 1TB.

OSX was installed on a separate HDD which i believe is 800 GB.

Originally I had windows 8 in IDE mode. But when i started playing around with ML i switch my mobo to AHCI mode and found registry tweaks that made my Windows 8 work on AHCI mode without formatting and reinstalling W8.

Here is little bit about my system:

Motherboard: MSI X58A-GD45
Processor: First gen intel i7 2.6 1366
RAM: 12 GB DDR3
Graphics: EVGA GTX 260
Hard dives: 1 TB (Windows 8)
800 GB ( OSX ML)
----------------------------------------

Thank you

Stan

Ah good! :)

Good news that you converted Windows 8 to use AHCI.

I have to admit I know nothing about the disk format Windows 8 uses, having not tried the Customer Preview myself, but I would expect it to use the same old NTFS file system and no-one seems to be mentioning visibility problems in Chameleon...

Are the SATA connectors on the same 6gb or 3gb ports? Just a thought. As you can change the boot option in the BIOS I would have thought it should also show up...

If you (power off and) pull out the SATA cable for the OS X drive and use your UniBeast USB stick to boot, do you see the Windows HD there in the boot menu? That way you are removing the possibility of a conflict between the two HDs.

If not then although you have properly converted the Windows installation to AHCI did you go in to the BIOS and change the setting there? If not the drive would be invisible for sure.

I also am having issues with Windows 8 not showing up in chameleon, just installed today, both ML and W8 work fine independantly but I have to force boot to a specific drive each time. Strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back