Contribute
Register

Perfectly working installation. GA-Z170-D3H, i7 Skylake, 32GB RAM, (iMac 17,1) (Success)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks wstrohm and Psimondo for your help. I managed to install OSX 10.11.2 using a Config.plist file with the changes suggested in http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/ using the USB port on the keyboard. Well, at least I installed. the problem now it that I don't succeed to boot from the SSD disk where OSX was installed. I stops for a while right after "AppleIntel1000e(Info): AppleIntel1000e:rx = 256, tx = 256", and gives me the prohibited sign after the line that follows, see on image attached. I downloaded and installed the 10.11.2 Nvidia drivers, gone back to step 4 and done all again, checked and rechecked. Dos anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have Multibeast 8.2.3 on your USB Installer flash drive? If not, find it and put it on the drive. Next, insert the flash drive into the computer port and boot from your SSD drive. That should work as long as the flash drive is in the port. Once you are booted on the SSD, double-click on the flash drive icon and run Multibeast. When you get into the Drivers menu, select "Network." Click the arrow next to "Intel." Check the box next to "IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3." (The other choices are not appropriate for Skylake motherboards, I think.) Then go to "Build" and verify you have all the choices you want. Then click "Install" to your SSD. What other choices have you made for the Multibeast post-installation? If any of those choices are inappropriate, you will have trouble booting without the flash drive in a USB port.

I would repeat that you would be much better off installing the current version of the Mac OS, which is 10.11.6. There were many problems on Skylake with 10.11.x where x is less than 4.

Last edited:
Do you have Multibeast 8.2.3 on your USB Installer flash drive? If not, find it and put it on the drive. Next, insert the flash drive into the computer port and boot from your SSD drive. That should work as long as the flash drive is in the port. Once you are booted on the SSD, double-click on the flash drive icon and run Multibeast. When you get into the Drivers menu, select "Network." Click the arrow next to "Intel." Check the box next to "IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3." (The other choices are not appropriate for Skylake motherboards, I think.) Then go to "Build" and verify you have all the choices you want. Then click "Install" to your SSD. What other choices have you made for the Multibeast post-installation? If any of those choices are inappropriate, you will have trouble booting without the flash drive in a USB port.

I would repeat that you would be much better off installing the current version of the Mac OS, which is 10.11.6. There were many problems on Skylake with 10.11.x where x is less than 4.

I second the comment that you should install with 10.11.4 or higher. Then a lot of the fixes in the Skylake guide you linked to are not required and my guide should work. I use "AppleIntelIE1000e v3.3.1" option for Ethernet and it works for me, but IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3 is also meant to work (and possibly be better. I don't know I have not tried it because my choice worked for me).

Also, are you identifying your new machine as iMac17,1? I strongly suggest this (even though it requires the black screen Nvidia fix) because it is the only real Mac model with Skylake and the OS uses different settings based on this choice. Using another model might work, but it generally better to try and match your hardware to the best fitting mac model.

Last edited:
Psimondo and wstrohm, thanks for your help. I did succeed in installing ElCap 10.11.2 completely, with video driver, audio and ethernet working great! All I needed to do was to use the USB replicator in the keyboard, and do the changes in config.plist I mentioned earlier. I got a freezing problem when booting from the mob disk, so I booted again from the USB stick and compared its config.plist with the one in the SSD disk, included the lines referring to IOAPIC fix, and it worked well. Thanks a lot!!

My problem now is the machines identification with Apple. When generating a sn with Clover Configurator using the "shake" buttons, the Apple site tells me all numbers I enter are invalid, and I am assuming this is not good based on this guide (if this is good to use, please tell me!). I wonder if it is possible to use the number of an old dead IBook I have. Would it be good? It has nothing to do with the iMac17,1 machine I configured.

Psimondo and wstrohm, thanks for your help. I did succeed in installing ElCap 10.11.2 completely, with video driver, audio and ethernet working great! All I needed to do was to use the USB replicator in the keyboard, and do the changes in config.plist I mentioned earlier. I got a freezing problem when booting from the mob disk, so I booted again from the USB stick and compared its config.plist with the one in the SSD disk, included the lines referring to IOAPIC fix, and it worked well. Thanks a lot!!

My problem now is the machines identification with Apple. When generating a sn with Clover Configurator using the "shake" buttons, the Apple site tells me all numbers I enter are invalid, and I am assuming this is not good based on this guide (if this is good to use, please tell me!). I wonder if it is possible to use the number of an old dead IBook I have. Would it be good? It has nothing to do with the iMac17,1 machine I configured.

There are two steps to checking the serial number. If Apple says it is not an existing serial that is GOOD. It means nobody else is using it. The other check (everymac.com) is to check that the serial number is a valid format for the model you chose. It should show you what model that serial number is for and that should match your chosen model (whatever that is).

Do NOT use a real serial number from an old machine. The model and serial number format must match AND if the serial is in use you will likely have your AppleID blacklisted. (I suggest reading the instructions in my post again. It's all in there).

Hi Psimodo,

Sorry for coming back to that same point, but Apple says the number (in fact, all numbers Clover Configurator provides) is "not valid", and not "not existing". I am afraid to enter this number and end up blacklisted. Take a look at the picture I attached.

BTW, all is really good here. Managed to update to 10.11.6, Nvidia drivers working, audio, ethernet, all working great. Managed to transfer all mu applications from the old machine via MigrationAssistant. I'm really happy, and would not be able to do this without your guide, thanks again.

There are two steps to checking the serial number. If Apple says it is not an existing serial that is GOOD. It means nobody else is using it. The other check (everymac.com) is to check that the serial number is a valid format for the model you chose. It should show you what model that serial number is for and that should match your chosen model (whatever that is).

Do NOT use a real serial number from an old machine. The model and serial number format must match AND if the serial is in use you will likely have your AppleID blacklisted. (I suggest reading the instructions in my post again. It's all in there).

Attachments

• apple SN.jpg
    apple SN.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 151
Sorry for coming back to that same point, but Apple says the number (in fact, all numbers Clover Configurator provides) is "not valid", and not "not existing". I am afraid to enter this number and end up blacklisted. Take a look at the picture I attached.

Ok. Just to be super clear, there are two things with the serial number:
  1. It must be a valid format that matches your model
  2. It must be unique (i.e. no other machine on earth is using that number)
To check Number 1, you should go here http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/
When you enter your serial number, it will show you what Mac it thinks you have. (i.e. this should report whatever you declared your mac to be. i.e. iMac17,1 or whatever). This means your serial number is a valid format for your declared model.

When you check Apple's coverage, you are checking number 2. i.e. that it is unique. If Apple recognises the serial number then it is NOT unique and someone with a real Mac is using it.

I know it is tempting to use a real Mac serial number, but I'd say don't do it. If someone else is using it, you will be blacklisted and if you take one from an old machine you own, then there are reports that is does work, but also reports that if the serial number does not match the model you say you have, you will also likely be blacklisted...

So... as to what you are seeing in that screenshot. It is good that it isn't recognised. It is NOT good that it says it is invalid. This suggests that it has failed the validation checks. Worth reading this.
(Unfortunately self solve.apple.com URL is no longer working, so we are assuming the error messages you get in checkcoverage.apple.com are the same)

I would generate a few more serial numbers in Clover Configurator and see if you get any other error message without the 'invalid' part.

More reading which shows the error you want: http://www.fitzweekly.com/2016/02/hackintosh-imessage-tutorial.html

[EDIT: I just checked my serial number again on Apple's site and I get the exact same error as you. Mine is all working though (so far!) Sadly it's all a bit of a dark art... this post suggests that as long as you get any error on Apple's site, it's ok.]

Last edited:
Well, I don't use iMessage nor FaceTime, all I care about is iCloud. Is it crucial to log in my iTunes o App Store account?

Ok. Just to be super clear, there are two things with the serial number:
  1. It must be a valid format that matches your model
  2. It must be unique (i.e. no other machine on earth is using that number)
To check Number 1, you should go here http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/
When you enter your serial number, it will show you what Mac it thinks you have. (i.e. this should report whatever you declared your mac to be. i.e. iMac17,1 or whatever). This means your serial number is a valid format for your declared model.

When you check Apple's coverage, you are checking number 2. i.e. that it is unique. If Apple recognises the serial number then it is NOT unique and someone with a real Mac is using it.

I know it is tempting to use a real Mac serial number, but I'd say don't do it. If someone else is using it, you will be blacklisted and if you take one from an old machine you own, then there are reports that is does work, but also reports that if the serial number does not match the model you say you have, you will also likely be blacklisted...

So... as to what you are seeing in that screenshot. It is good that it isn't recognised. It is NOT good that it says it is invalid. This suggests that it has failed the validation checks. Worth reading this.
(Unfortunately self solve.apple.com URL is no longer working, so we are assuming the error messages you get in checkcoverage.apple.com are the same)

I would generate a few more serial numbers in Clover Configurator and see if you get any other error message without the 'invalid' part.

More reading which shows the error you want: http://www.fitzweekly.com/2016/02/hackintosh-imessage-tutorial.html

[EDIT: I just checked my serial number again on Apple's site and I get the exact same error as you. Mine is all working though (so far!) Sadly it's all a bit of a dark art... this post suggests that as long as you get any error on Apple's site, it's ok.]

Well, I don't use iMessage nor FaceTime, all I care about is iCloud. Is it crucial to log in my iTunes o App Store account?

In that case, I wouldn't worry as much. It is iMessage and FaceTime that do the most checks to avoid spammers and scammers using these services. I would still make sure your MLB, ROM and Serial don't change between reboots - but I have not heard of issues if you are not using iMessage or FaceTime.

Thank you very much for the guide. I am trying to build a cusmac with G 170-H3D. This is really helpful.

Thank you very much. Here comes a question: my Gpu is GB 750 Ti. When editing config.list, I mean when adding some parameters in Kernel and Kext Patches, should I type in the exact same munbers as what you have listed in the guide above?(In Find*[HEx] part.) Thank you so much for your help. I am totally green...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back