Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following that thread a bit and it seems like there are multiple problems being reported there. So, some solutions work for some while alternate solutions work for others and some still haven't had their problems resolved.

So far, from what I've gathered, here are some problems/resolutions:
  • SIP. Some have reported that they needed to enable SIP to get the Nvidia web drivers installed properly.
  • A few have found that NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext fixed things for them.
  • ADGPFix worked for some.
  • Blessing /L/E/ and /S/L/E/ seemed to work for some.
  • Enabling "nvda_drv=1" or "nv_disable=1" was the solution for some.

With such a varying number of solutions, we have to assume that people posting there are dealing with different problems. Unfortunately, most of the people posting there don't quite provide enough information to figure out what the common denominators are...

Things to remember:
  • When using MacPro6,1, iMac15,x, iMac17,1, or iMac18,x system definitions, a black screen should be expected until fixes are applied. These fixes include (1) ADGPFix, (2) KextToPatch Clover patch, or (3) installing Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.
  • With the release of Sierra, "NvidiaWeb" superseded "nvda_drv=1" for enabling the Nvidia web drivers. However, in my experience, leaving "nvda_drv=1" enabled helped the Nvidia system preference pane keep the Nvidia web drivers enabled instead of reverting to Apple's built-in drivers.
  • NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext makes macOS recognize the Nvidia web drivers as platform binaries and could potentially resolve many issues for those using the Nvidia web drivers. This a kext that I highly recommend for anyone using the Nvidia web drivers.
Things I can't make any sense of:
  • Why SIP matters when installing the drivers.
  • Why /L/E/ and /S/L/E/ need blessing after installation of the Nvidia web drivers.
  • Why users of system definitions besides those listed above experience black screen.

Last edited:
Things I can't make any sense of:
  • Why SIP matters when installing the drivers.
  • Why /L/E/ and /S/L/E/ need blessing after installation of the Nvidia web drivers.
  • Why users of system definitions besides those listed above experience black screen.
IMO, the 1st two are due to errors with the Nvidia drivers release. In my experience (see my post here), the drivers may have been rushed to release w/o proper kext signatures being obtained/applied. I used the iMac14,2 SysDef and got the black screen, too. PITA. Shame on Nvidia's quality control team.

BTW, our Mac Pro friends at MacRumors are having some of the same problems.

The most puzzling thing is the extreme inconsistency of the problems...

Some people, such as myself, have been able to update to the latest version of the Nvidia web drivers without any issues at all. Plus, when I updated my Elite 8300, I didn't even have NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext installed. Also, I've always left my hackintoshes with the MultiBeast set default of CsrActiveConfig = 0x3.

Perhaps most puzzling of all is why you got black screen on iMac14,2. Even if the Nvidia web drivers did not install properly and/or were not running, you should still get basic VGA video output albeit without any acceleration.

So, I'm not quite ready to assume it's a code signature issue.

Edit: Someone is reporting black screen even with Intel HD530: #382

Edit 2: And here's a report of black screen with AMD video: #446

Edit 3: Based on #394, I recommend that users set CsrActiveConfig to "0x3" in the Rt Variables section of their config.plist.

Last edited:
Important info for updating to High Sierra Supplemental Update!!

I advise anyone using Nvidia web driver to uninstall the Nvidia web drivers prior to updating the Supplemental Update. I was unable to complete the update until they were uninstalled.

Secondly, Nvidia hasn't updated their web driver for this version of High Sierra yet.

Edit: Supplemental Update compatible Nvidia web drivers have been released. They can be found HERE or just update via preference pane. If you encounter the following error, just click continue.
Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 5.03.20 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PBL
I have uninstalled nVidia Web Drivers, but still cannot install it, as it keeps coming back, then, for some reason those Thunderbold Firmware pop back as well..... and I cannot set them to ignore through terminal...

Also, I got another couple of partitions after upgrade to High Sierra, one is the "install" partition and another funny one "Boot fire vault pre booter"

Last edited:
Have you updated to the latest Clover?

yes I did, updated to latest Clover prior to upgrade to High Sierra, but...doing the final bit now. Had to manually remove NVDA* directories from /S/L/E, even though those have been "uninstalled" through nVidia panel. :banghead:

App Store now shows it has been installed and no more updates available. :headbang:

So why are WebDrivers messing us up as that ?

I believe it has to do with the new way in which Apple is deploying these updates.

Cool story...

A friend was having difficulty updating to the High Sierra Supplemental Update on a Dell laptop. So, he stopped by my place and we were both stumped on what the problem was. Eventually, I decided to pull the SSD from his laptop and slid it in to one of my Elite 8300's hot swap bays and used that to update. It completed flawlessly and when we put the SSD back in to his laptop, it booted up and everything was working fine.

I love the extreme compatibility of these 8300s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back