Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a cheap USB 3.1 (type C connector) to SATA adaptor from Ebay to test out the USB 3.1 port on the Gene motherboard. Here's what I've found:

1. The adaptor and drive does not work if you are using the the ssdt-usb.aml method.
  2. The adaptor and drive does work if you are using the 15 port limit patch method.
  3. With an SSD connected to the adaptor, I only saw USB 3 speeds in macOS and Windows 10. (Most likely due to the cheap adaptor I purchased)
  4. USB 3.1 and the adaptor was not shown in System Information (formerly know as System Profiler).
I can confirm 2 & 3. I didn't check 4, and I don't use the 1 method.

I placed an order for a better USB 3.1 to SATA adaptor and will update with more results when I receive it.

I suspect that the one I currently have is in fact just a USB 3 to SATA adaptor with a Type C connector....

So I just built a new machine. I'm having a error and I think it's the ssdt.aml file. I have tried to replace the one you have pastrychef with the one on my pc. Pretty much I have the exact same parts as your pc. What am I suppose to do regarding the ddst?

update - I got redid my drives and realized that the efi was still from pastrychef's files. I format everything again and reinstalled everything. I will try to implement the changes that pastrychef had made however I don't think it will work correctly. Booting off multibeast uefi clover currently. Changed injection for nvidia web so it registered the gtx660ti.

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Which of my files do you have in your EFI folder? Are you saying that You can boot from the Clover boot loader from your UniBeast USB flash drive? I do not have inject Nvidia enabled.

Yes, I tried to use the SSDT-USB-Maximus-VIII-Gene.aml and the SSDT-USB-Maximus-VIII-Gene.dsl files in my EFI. I renamed the .aml to SSDT.aml which gave me that kernel panic. I put the files in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/ unless I was supposed to get the system SSDT from somewhere else to put it into the EFI. Then possibly patch the SSDT?

To get the GTX660ti to work I injected the nvidia web kext and that seem to work with the dual monitors for the time being. I will be getting a new card once osx starts to support the 10series.

No. That's not what those files are for. When you first do your installation, you can skip those two files. Get your SSDT.aml file from ammulder's Guide. Get the one that's for your CPU and put it in to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched/ folder.

The ssdt-usb.aml file that I have on post #1 is used for an alternative USB fix and is optional. You can use the the 15 port limit fix from MultiBeast and avoid having to use ssdt-usb.aml completely.

Playback of DRM videos in iTunes (There is a fix but I haven't tried to apply it yet.)

Have you tried this yet? Also, does streaming from your Hack to an AppleTV of DRM content/movies work? I've searched a lot for an answer to the last question but can't find a clear answer so I thought I'd ask. This is a big factor holding me back from pulling the trigger on building a Hack.

First of all, thank you for such an amazing build and the detailed instructions! I got everything up and running but since my GTX 980 ti won't come for another week I wanted to take a stab at getting the internal graphics working and I have had some issues. It loads fine without installing the HD 530 graphics from Multibeast but it appears to be unaccelerated because I see graphical glitches like crazy such as screen flashes every time that I type a keystroke. Also I am using a 4k monitor and the bottom strip of the monitor appears to be totally black even though it looks fine in windows.

EDIT: thank you PastryChef for directing me to the graphics section of the forum. The post is here. Also if people have issues with their builds where they get a kernel panic and after editing config.plist, the best approach that I've found is to load from the UniBeast installer USB stick and then boot into your Sierra partition. Clover will apparently load from the config.plist on your USB stick instead of your Sierra EFI partition which will allow you to change the config.plist back to whatever it was before you made the change. I still don't know what my problem is but at least I have a methodical way to test it. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Have you tried this yet? Also, does streaming from your Hack to an AppleTV of DRM content/movies work? I've searched a lot for an answer to the last question but can't find a clear answer so I thought I'd ask. This is a big factor holding me back from pulling the trigger on building a Hack.

No, I never did try the fix. The only thing I did try was AirPlay the entire desktop to my Apple TV and it worked.

First of all, thank you for such an amazing build and the detailed instructions! I got everything up and running but since my GTX 980 ti won't come for another week I wanted to take a stab at getting the internal graphics working and I have had some issues. It loads fine without installing the HD 530 graphics from Multibeast but it appears to be unaccelerated because I see graphical glitches like crazy such as screen flashes every time that I type a keystroke. Also I am using a 4k monitor and the bottom strip of the monitor appears to be totally black even though it looks fine in windows:

gF9SBd0.jpg

If I add the 530 graphics using multibeast I get a kernel panic when I boot. It appears to be with ../AppleIntelFramebuffer/AppleIntelController.cpp:25060 (I think that's the line number, its hard to read because my camera has trouble autofocusing on the text)
XlzbLki.jpg

Is there a step by step procedure for how to get this working with our motherboard. Also, when I get a KP like this, how can I revert whatever I just did so that I can restore it to a working configuration? I've had to do a total reinstall from scratch which is pretty annoying. :/

Did you increase the amount of RAM to be used by the HD 530? If there is no acceleration, that means the drivers are not running.

When you get Kernal Panics, you can try to make adjustments to certain parameters using the Clover boot loader to get it to boot correctly. Another option would be to use a working Mac or hackintosh to make adjustments to your config.plist.

Remember to check the Graphics sub-forum for more assistance regarding the HD 530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back