Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I made a build with almost the same specs, but and Kingston AHCI M.2 drive. The board its amazing, and I love the AI suite easiness for Overclock (running on 4.7 GHZ now) . Only issues are that I have - no sleep nor HWmonitor working. I wanted to ask pastrychef if his sleep was solved after changing the broadcom card as he wrote on Stork's thread or if he found another cure.

As xelanaiznac , I have played with XMP, darkwake and some other options. I'm also suspecting on a faulty wifi card, or maybe USB devices... not sure yet. I don't know yet if its a BIOS (I'm using Stork's and Pastrychef's settings) a OS X software issue or hardware related....

Yes, my first BCM94360CS was defective. I got a replacement and sleep was fixed. I have not had any issues with sleep since then.

BTW, welcome to the Gene club. :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll try to,check if unplugging the card makes some changes on my sleep. The gene it's great. Coming from gigabyte I appreciate the easier Bios and friendly features, specially overclock and fan control. By the way do you use hw monitor? Does it work ? I cannot get my fan speeds nor accurate temps , I'm stock with Intel power gadget as my only way to check on my overclocked cpu...

I used HW monitor at first but I've switched to iStat Menus. It gives more stats and, in my opinion, looks better.

As far as I can tell, the temps readings are correct. But it doesn't give fan RPM readings.

I used HW monitor at first but I've switched to iStat Menus. It gives more stats and, in my opinion, looks better.

As far as I can tell, the temps readings are correct. But it doesn't give fan RPM readings.
Another useful monitoring app is Monity, you have to pay for it but it is not expensive.

@pastrychef thanks so much for the detailed post. I'm going to be replicating your build to build my first hackintosh - my first desktop, actually. I had a couple of quick questions for those of you familiar with this build.

1) given that CES 2017 is so close, would you guys recommend waiting for the existing parts in your build to get discounted? I'm not going to wait around for new parts to see if they do or don't work with hackintosh - I'm solely considering that new products will likely lead to reduced prices for old stock.

2) What is the use of the hot-swap racks, if you are only using one boot drive? Separately, I see a lot of other builds use 1 boot drive and then a second drive - i'm guessing this is primarily for having a separate windows/linux partition?

3) What's the use of the Solarflare 10GB card? I will most likely be running Ethernet and am curious what advantages of this over the MB's built-in Ethernet connectors are.

PS - your link for these two items are the same:

G.Skill TridentZ Series DDR4 RAM 64GB Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232260

SeaSonic X Series X-850 (SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) 850W Power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232260

1. It's a possibility that prices may drop... Prior to building this, I never really paid any attention to the pricing of components so I can't say for sure.

2. I use the hot swap racks for (1) my Time Machine drive, (2) my iTunes/Photos drive, (3) Temp Storage drive. Having gone through many hard drive failures over the years, it's just easier to have them in hot swap bays for easy replacement. Plus, it neatly allows me to use the two 5.25" bays for three hard drives.

3. The 10GbE card allows me to access my NAS at up to 10x the speed of 1GbE. I currently have very slow drives in my NAS but still achieve ~800MB/s reads and ~300MB/s writes. Using regular 1GbE, I'm capped at ~115MB/s reads and writes.

Thanks! I'll fix that mistake right now. ;)

3. The 10GbE card allows me to access my NAS at up to 10x the speed of 1GbE. I currently have very slow drives in my NAS but still achieve ~800MB/s reads and ~300MB/s writes. Using regular 1GbE, I'm capped at ~115MB/s reads and writes.

What NAS are you running ?

I built an 8 bay NAS that runs the Synology DSM.

I picked up a cheap USB 3.1 (type C connector) to SATA adaptor from Ebay to test out the USB 3.1 port on the Gene motherboard. Here's what I've found:

1. The adaptor and drive does not work if you are using the the ssdt-usb.aml method.
  2. The adaptor and drive does work if you are using the 15 port limit patch method.
  3. With an SSD connected to the adaptor, I only saw USB 3 speeds in macOS and Windows 10. (Most likely due to the cheap adaptor I purchased)
  4. USB 3.1 and the adaptor was not shown in System Information (formerly know as System Profiler).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back