Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia web drivers were released for High Sierra few days back. Upgrade to apfs only if you have a SSD, but there are ways to disable it entirely when installation happens. If you have a ssd the installer automatically converts it but you can use THIS GUIDE to avoid the auto conversion.
So what is recommended? Should I convert it to apfs or stick with HFS+ ? Mac os is installed on SSD.

@pastrychef , i have followed your guide and got my system running absolutely fine on 10.12.6 including all your workarounds with Little modification according to my components. But I am really worried in upgrading to High Sierra as No Nvidia web drivers are available and also some are facing issues with apfs and so on . What do you suggest about upgrading as I am app developer and need to use xcode ?

As others have noted, the Nvidia web drivers have been released. I would not have upgraded to High Sierra if they had not been made available.

Prior to updating, check in Clover Configurator, Rt Variables section, that CsrActiveConfig is set to "0x3". I believe this is the one of the keys to getting the Nvidia web drivers installed without issue.

From all that I've read about APFS, the only real issue is slow performance with certain SSDs when Trim is enabled. On my hackintoshes, I have 2 Crucial SSDs and 1 Samsung SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD as system drives and all work fine with Trim enbaled. If you want to be safe, disable Trim prior to launching the High Sierra updater. After the update is complete, you can experiement with Trim enabled and disabled to see if there is any noticeable performance difference.

Some people have elected to stick with HFS+. However, I personally feel this is simply delaying the inevitable and that it's better to embrace APFS and get it working now. Just my two cents...

So what is recommended? Should I convert it to apfs or stick with HFS+ ? Mac os is installed on SSD.
It’s depends on your work habit. Recently people who use unity game engine were having trouble with the apfs system. Some had issues with certain video and sound editing too. Usually with plugins which aren’t always updated. If you do some sort work I would say wait for it to become more mature, as fusion drives and HDD are still not using APFS, so you still have some time before apple makes it mandatory. Till then I would recommend sticking to HFS. But if you use your computer for just day to day basic tasks, it should be ok to convert.

Hi pastrychef, I was hoping to get your help. You have similar components as my build but I am not as experienced as you. I have the same WiFi card as you have listed in your build (Broadcom BCM94360CD ) After installing the card the Bluetooth and WiFi work... however, it does not want to connect to any networks. It sees my network, but each time it tries to connect it say the network could not be joined move closer. I know the distance is not an issue. My other devices work fine. Can you point me in the right direction? I have been stuck on this for sometime now. I have attach a link to a screen recording.
System specs are in my profile.

Also I could use some help with the overclocking. Do you have instruction I could follow?
Thanks so much,
-Chad
https://www.dropbox.com/s/la135zflzbvc0g2/WIFIBT Help.mov?dl=0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012LOT512/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi pastrychef, I was hoping to get your help. You have similar components as my build but I am not as experienced as you. I have the same WiFi card as you have listed in your build (Broadcom BCM94360CD ) After installing the card the Bluetooth and WiFi work... however, it does not want to connect to any networks. It sees my network, but each time it tries to connect it say the network could not be joined move closer. I know the distance is not an issue. My other devices work fine. Can you point me in the right direction? I have been stuck on this for sometime now. I have attach a link to a screen recording.
System specs are in my profile.

Also I could use some help with the overclocking. Do you have instruction I could follow?
Thanks so much,
-Chad
https://www.dropbox.com/s/la135zflzbvc0g2/WIFIBT Help.mov?dl=0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012LOT512/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

A few things you can try to get Wifi to connect:
  • Disable Bluetooth. Sometimes the Bluetooth signal can interfere with Wifi.
  • Try 5GHz.
  • Try limiting use of USB 3 during your testing. Some USB devices can interfere with Wifi.
  • Double check that the antennas are attached correctly on your Wifi/Bluetooth card.

For overclocking, I just used the Asus A.I. Suite that's included with the motherboard in Windows. It did all the overclocking automatically.

A few things you can try to get Wifi to connect:
  • Disable Bluetooth. Sometimes the Bluetooth signal can interfere with Wifi.
  • Try 5GHz.
  • Try limiting use of USB 3 during your testing. Some USB devices can interfere with Wifi.
  • Double check that the antennas are attached correctly on your Wifi/Bluetooth card.

For overclocking, I just used the Asus A.I. Suite that's included with the motherboard in Windows. It did all the overclocking automatically.

Thanks for the reply!
I just tried your suggestions and even tried to connect to my cellular hot spot sitting next to my computer. It all has the same result... "Wi-Fi network could not be joined try moving closer" I don't understand it :banghead:. I need WiFi to work and work well... its so critical. I have tried one other card before this one. The "Fenvi FV9801" It had the same result as this card which was twice the price.

I am going to return this card. Any suggestions on a new one? I have no idea at this point. I would like a card with both Bluetooth and WiFi but Ill settle with just WiFi if it works.

Thanks,
-Chad

I use a BCM94360CS based card/adaptor that used to be sold by Fenvi, but I believe they no longer have any. If you have tried two different Wifi/Bluetooth cards with the same results, maybe it will be easier to upgrade your router.

Most of the BCM94360CD/CS based cards/adaptors are the same cards used in iMacs or MacBook Pro and are therefore compatible with macOS. Using other cards (i.e. Dell DW1560 or DW1830) should be possible but may require additional kexts and/or patches in config.plist.

I use a BCM94360CS based card/adaptor that used to be sold by Fenvi, but I believe they no longer have any. If you have tried two different Wifi/Bluetooth cards with the same results, maybe it will be easier to upgrade your router.

Most of the BCM94360CD/CS based cards/adapters are the same cards used in iMacs or MacBook Pro and are therefore compatible with macOS. Using other cards (i.e. Dell DW1560 or DW1830) should be possible but may require additional kexts and/or patches in config.plist.

with my originally router. Then switched to the Arris Surfboard modem router combo (model SBG6400). I then played with a bunch of settings on both configurations. Also, like I mentioned tried the phone hot spot. I never had a WiFi Card be so picky. I'll try to mess with the airport again since that has the 5G signal. I shouldn't have to do all this... just to get this card to connect, but I have no other course to follow besides a third card to try.

what do you think of this card?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADRW5R89205

Thanks again.
-Chad

Thanks @pastrychef and @umran23. let me upgrade tonight . I will acknowledge you .
Hello , last night I have upgraded successfully without any problems but I have lost audio after installation. Then I have tried running script 130. With id 1 but after reboot , in system preferences I can see audio output devices but no sound from them . I have tried almost each port . Then I thought of trying second method in which we use appleALC and lilu with id 11 and now audio works fine . Now I want to know if it will cause any issues bcoz I have applied both methods instead of using any one? Right now appleALC AND realtekALC both are there in kext/other folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back