Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @pastrychef
ready for high Sierra?
I would like to know from you which is you darkwake setting. my issue (bot with 980 ti and Vega 64) is that I have black screen after waking up.
I tried both darkwake=no, darkweke=0 and darkwake=8, same results

Hi. I will be attempting to upgrade to High Sierra once Nvidia releases web drivers for it.

For Darkwake, I simply have "Darkwake".
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 4.14.04 PM.png

I just updated from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra (APFS) via App Store. All went as smoothly as one could hope.

Detailed instructions on how to upgrade in place can be found at: Update Directly to macOS High Sierra | tonymacx86.com

To summarize:
  • Upgrade to latest version of the Clover boot loader.
  • Copy the apfs.efi file to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI.
  • (Recommended) Update your hackintosh kexts such as FakeSMC, FakePCIID, Lilu, etc.
  • Launch App Store to download and install High Sierra.
  • Sit back and let the installer do its thing. It's a big update and will take a good amount of time. On my system the update took about 45 minutes.
  • When the update finishes, the Nvidia web driver control panel will prompt you that an update is needed. Follow the on screen menus to update.
  • Done.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 3.39.27 PM.png

Edit: The update will break audio. To reenable it, download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 4.17.13 PM.png

Edit 2: Change darkwake to "darkwake=0" to restore functional sleep/wake.

Edit 3: To fix the excruciatingly long boot times, enable "-disablegfxfirmware" in the Boot section of Clover Configurator.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 11.02.36 PM.png

Edit 4: For those who have not done the "proper" USB 15 port limit fix and are still relying on the "temporary fix" using KextToPatch, you will need to apply a new patch and disable the one for Sierra. Details are here: New USB Raise Port Limit Patch for High Sierra | tonymacx86.com

Edit 5: If you update the Clover boot loader to r4233, set darkwake back to "darkwake".

Edit 6: Some users are reporting slow SSD performance with APFS when Trim is enabled. I have not experienced any issues on my hackintoshes with 2 Crucial SSDs and a Samsung SM951 M.2 ACHI SSD. Prior to performing the update, I would advise that you disable Trim. You can experiment with Trim enabled and disabled after the update to see if your SSD is affected.

Some users are also reporting issues with getting the Nvidia web drivers installed and running correctly. Based on this post, I suggest making sure that your CsrActiveConfig is set to "0x3" in your config.plist.

Last edited:
Some early observations on High Sierra:

• Booting from APFS is MUCH slower than HFS+. (Fix is posted in above post)
  • Sleep got broken with this update. I changed darkwake to "darkwake=0" and it seems to have restored sleep. I will continue to monitor this.
  • I lost my buddy list in Messages and have no idea on how to restore it.
  • Memory handling seems much improved. I have not noticed my laptop use swap memory where it was a regular occurrence with El Capitan and Sierra.
  • HEVC seems to be working well. I was able to play the Camp test videos from the following site in QuickTime with minimal CPU load. Testvideos mit 4K, Ultra HD, HDR, 10-bit uvm. - 4K TV - Ultra HD Videos und Filme zum Downloaden In Sierra, these videos would really stress the system.

Update 1: "darkwake=0" seems to be working perfectly to restore sleep/wake.

It's still a fairly small sample size, but sleep/wake and Power Nap has been working great.
Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 3.29.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Some early observations on High Sierra:

• Booting from APFS is MUCH slower than HFS+. (Fix is posted in above post)
  • Sleep got broken with this update. I changed darkwake to "darkwake=0" and it seems to have restored sleep. I will continue to monitor this.
  • I lost my buddy list in Messages and have no idea on how to restore it.
  • HEVC seems to be working well. I was able to play the Camp test videos from the following site in QuickTime with minimal CPU load. Testvideos mit 4K, Ultra HD, HDR, 10-bit uvm. - 4K TV - Ultra HD Videos und Filme zum Downloaden In Sierra, these videos would really stress the system.

Update 1: "darkwake=0" seems to be working perfectly to restore sleep/wake.
Hi pastrychef — congratulations, that's great! Thanks for the detail. It's my decision to make, but given I don't have my iMac any more (gave it to my grandson) and I rely on this build for my day-to-day computing, would you say the HS build is stable enough?

It's only been about half a day, but everything seems fine on my end. The two issues I had, (1) broken sleep/wake and (2) extremely slow boot times have been addressed and things are working as well as they were on Sierra.

The only thing that you may want to wait for is Nvidia to release an updated version of the Cuda driver if you have apps that rely on it.

• (Recommended) Update your hackintosh kexts such as FakeSMC, FakePCIID, Lilu, etc....
I tried several times to upgrade without any succes (having the same exact problem then here). I duplicate as well my kext to clover with no go. (lilu, intelgraphicsfixup, fakesmc, Intelmausi up to date)

Attachments

• my kexts.jpeg
    my kexts.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 132
I tried several times to upgrade without any succes (having the same exact problem then here). I duplicate as well my kext to clover with no go. (lilu, intelgraphicsfixup, fakesmc, Intelmausi up to date)

I recommend booting back in to Sierra to relaunch the High Sierra installer and turn on verbose mode. When the installer starts running, watch where it gets stuck at.

A few things to try that may help:
  • If you are using NVMe SSD, remove whatever kexts you have that enabled it for Sierra.
  • Enable "-disablegfxfirmware" in Clover Configurator.
  • Make sure you have installed the correct version of apfs.efi in to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI. (versions extracted from previous High Sierra beta are incompatible.)

I just updated from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra (APFS) via App Store. All went as smoothly as one could hope.

Edit: The update will break audio. To reenable it, download and run toleda's audio_cloverALC-130.sh script from: GitHub - toleda/audio_CloverALC: OS X Realtek ALC onboard audio with Clover
The instal went quite smoothly, though post-installation I've had "Optimising your Mac Performance may be affected until completed" every time I've restarted, I think.

But the sound fix didn't work for me. I got this output from the CloverALC command:
File: audio_cloverALC-130.command_v0.3
Release Mode
Password:
EFI partition is mounted
System Integrity Protection status: disabled.

OK to patch
Confirm Realtek ALC1150 (y/n): y
Clover Audio ID Injection (y/n): y
Use Audio ID: 1 (y/n): 1
Try again...
Use Audio ID: 1 (y/n): y

Download ALC1150 files ...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0curl: (7) Couldn't connect to server
unzip: cannot find or open /tmp/ALC1150.zip, /tmp/ALC1150.zip.zip or /tmp/ALC1150.zip.ZIP.
Error: No Realtek ALC1150 Beta files
No system files were changed
To save a Copy of this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
[Process completed]

I've just realised it was probably my VPN that caused the download to fail, so I'll try that again.

But I have also had several instance of the system freezing for 10-15 seconds, and then restarting. In each case I've just been
doing something quite ordinary, like typing or checking settings. So Ill probably go back to my backup 10.12.6 build for a while and try again later.

Hmm... I don't know why the script didn't work for you... Did you use audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command or audio_cloverALC-130.sh? I used audio_cloverALC-130.sh. Did you move

I have not experienced any freezing or random restarts. The only restarts I've had were all initiated by me.

Hmm... I don't know why the script didn't work for you... Did you use audio_cloverALC-130_v0.3.command or audio_cloverALC-130.sh? I used audio_cloverALC-130.sh. Did you move

I have not experienced any freezing or random restarts. The only restarts I've had were all initiated by me.
I think the CloverALC fail was probably my VPN — it has made some other DLs fail. I'll try it tomorrow. I'll probably redo the HS install first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back