Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never tested anything other than 512MB for DVMT realloc. I know that laptop guides suggest 64 or 128MB. Please let me know what you find if you test either of these values.

Yes, I use iStat Menus.

I have not tested the GPUSensors with my GTX 1080 at all.

I am trying to keep my system up 24/7 for a month to screenshot uptime... So it will be a few more weeks before I can test any of this stuff.

Very nice! you are awesome.
I am a beginer in all this and really I don't know anything about... I just read read read and try hehe...
I have a similiar hardware config than you a maximus Gene and i7 6700k with a Samsung 960 EVO and I don't have video card yet.
I have a question for you... Which m.2 sdd are you using?
Why you don't connect the m.2 directly to the mobo, why to use the adpter? Whit this adapter is no needed the rehabsman IONvme patch?

Thanks so much in advance!

When I started this, I used an Apple SSUBX SSD. These were used in some MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs but they had proprietary connectors. That's why an adaptor was necessary.

Shortly after I got my build up and running, I sold the SSUBX and bought a Samsung SM951 AHCI M.2. Now, an adaptor is no longer necessary. Since it is an AHCI SSD, I also do not need to use the NVMe hacks to get it to work.

You will need the patches because your Samsung 960 EVO is an NVMe SSD.

A busy few hours - learning! I did the iBooks fix, applied RehabMan's config.plist patches related to the latest USBInject All, and used Clover configurator to change to system definition 18,2. Configurator does't have i5-7600K, so I had the choice of iMac18,2 (i5-7500) or 18,3 (i7-7700K). I don't know what a mismatch would do, so I chose 18,2. But this leads to About this Mac saying it's iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, 2017). The rest of the information is OK. I guess with a bit of research I could edit config.plist to be more accurate.

And so far, everything seems fine. No black screens (haven't added the kexts you mentioned), sleep on command and wake OK, etc. Time will tell.

Many thanks.
OK, spoke too soon. Woke late at night to find the system constantly restarting, only getting as far as choosing the default boot disk. Strangely a backup volume with the same system definition booted OK. Will investigate later this morning. Would 18,3 be better? Not sure what else could have caused the problem.

Can you upload your config.plist and list the kexts you have installed? Are you overclocking?

Please remember to delete your serial number and UUID on the config.plist.

Can you upload your config.plist and list the kexts you have installed? Are you overclocking?

Please remember to delete your serial number and UUID on the config.plist.

OK, the config.plist and a screenshot of the Extensions folder are attached. I am not overclocking.

The backup version of my boot drive is running OK (it's an HDD), but it took a minute or two and many key presses to wake after I put it to sleep on the Apple menu.

I was going to compare the config.plist of the backup drive with the main one, but I see that the backup volume EFI folder does not have a Clover folder. I hadn't changed the boot priority in BIOS, so I guess the Clover on the SSD is being used.

Attachments

• 17_0821-config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 238
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.58.25 am.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.58.25 am.png
    49 KB · Views: 93
I looked up Everymac and they have this:

Apple iMac "Core i5" 3.8 27-Inch (5K, Mid-2017) Specs
Identifiers: Retina 5K, Mid-2017 - MNED2LL/A - iMac18,3 - A1419 - Pending

So I changed the system definition to 18,3 and it now reports as exactly that. Also, wake from directed sleep is OK. So fingers crossed!

I compared your config.plist to mine and here are the differences:

Acpi section:
I don't have the _OSI. ECH1, or ECH2 renames.
I do have XHCI to XHC_.​
Boot section:
I have XMPDetection=Yes​
SMBIOS section:
Trust is checked​

But I don't think any of these would cause random restarting...

As far as I can tell, your kexts look fine.

The only other major difference is that I am using the "proper" USB 15 port limit fix while you are using the KextToPatch fix.

I compared your config.plist to mine and here are the differences:

Acpi section:
I don't have the _OSI. ECH1, or ECH2 renames.
I do have XHCI to XHC_.​
Boot section:
I have XMPDetection=Yes​
SMBIOS section:
Trust is checked​
But I don't think any of these would cause random restarting...
As far as I can tell, your kexts look fine.
The only other major difference is that I am using the "proper" USB 15 port limit fix while you are using the KextToPatch fix.

Thank you very much for your help. The ACPI renames were part of the latest RehabMan USBInjectAll config.plist patches.
I'm hoping that now that I have the 18,3 system definition, which is such a close match to my system, things will settle down. It seems very stable at the moment.
I'll match the other aspects of your config.plist.

I need to correct myself...

I have the XHCI to XHC_ rename, but it's disabled. So you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back