Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Completely off-topic.....

But, you are getting close to that magic four digit number (now only 71 away) for the total number of posts for this thread....! So, are you going to celebrate???

Completely off-topic.....

But, you are getting close to that magic four digit number (now only 71 away) for the total number of posts for this thread....! So, are you going to celebrate???

Lol. I've just been working on making my Z390 build thread as good and clean as I possibly can... Trying to learn from what has transpired here...

Well, congrats on a very successful thread. For your next thread, perhaps X299x or something else? Now that would be fun......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @pastrychef

I have a system that everything is working perfectly.
I tried to do some benchmark tests and it seems instead that something is not working.
I tried with Cinebench, Geekbench and the results are not good, it seems that my Vega 56 is not detected.
In VideoProc it does not detect Vega 56 but I have hardware acceleration.
Only in Heaven Benchmark (the only one I had tried) I have good results.
:think::think::think:
cinebench.pnggeekbench.pngungine.pngVideoProc.png

Hi @pastrychef

I have a system that everything is working perfectly.
I tried to do some benchmark tests and it seems instead that something is not working.
I tried with Cinebench, Geekbench and the results are not good, it seems that my Vega 56 is not detected.
In VideoProc it does not detect Vega 56 but I have hardware acceleration.
Only in Heaven Benchmark (the only one I had tried) I have good results.
:think::think::think:
View attachment 450921View attachment 450922View attachment 450923View attachment 450924

I see absolutely nothing wrong with your benchmarks.
Do not compare Cinebench R15 results with Cinebench R20 results!!!
Here are results from my overclocked i9-9900K with RAM running at 3500MHz:
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.18.33 PM.png

Here are the results from my i5-9400F with RAM running at 3400MHz:
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.36.45 PM.png
Do not compare Geekbench 4.x.x results with Geekbench 5.x.x results!!!
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.17.04 PM.png

Here is my i5-9400F with RAM running at 3400MHz:
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.39.55 PM.png

VideoPro shows Hardware Acceleration is Enabled. Everything is working. If you want it to identify your video card, follow the guide to populate System Information > PCI. But that's entirely cosmetic and will not affect performance as proven by your Unigine Heaven benchmark results.
VideoProc.png

Last edited:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with your benchmarks.
Do not compare Cinebench R15 results with Cinebench R20 results!!!
View attachment 450926

Here are the results from my i5-9400F with RAM running at 3400MHz:
View attachment 450933
Do not compare Geekbench 4.x.x results with Geekbench 5.x.x results!!!
View attachment 450928

Here is my i5-9400F with RAM running at 3400MHz:
View attachment 450934

VideoPro shows Hardware Acceleration is Enabled. Everything is working. If you want it to identify your video card, follow the guide to populate System Information > PCI. But that's entirely cosmetic and will not affect performance as proven by your Unigine Heaven benchmark results.

Thank you very much, I was a little worried.
Have a nice day :)

Well, congrats on a very successful thread. For your next thread, perhaps X299x or something else? Now that would be fun......

Thank you!! I'm humbled.

I resisted doing any write up for Z390 for a long time because I couldn't recommend it based on all the instability I experienced. Since the release of BIOS F9g and since the awesome fellas from acidanthera figured out how to get NVRAM working for Z390, I started my Z390 thread. Right now, I'm on an uptime marathon. Trying to capture a screenshot of 30+ days of uptime (at day 13 right now). But everything has been rock solid.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I also rewrote my laptop guide (please see V2 in my signature below). All the new tools has made hacking my laptop ridiculous easy.

I don't think I would go for an X299 system. For my current needs, the i9-9900K is plenty. If/when the site starts supporting AMD hacks, I may consider a Ryzen based hack...

I can exchange my Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro + with a Asus ROG Strix RXVega64. Will this solve the issue that MacOS can't fully control the fan's etc from the card or do I really need a referenced model card?

I can exchange my Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro + with a Asus ROG Strix RXVega64. Will this solve the issue that MacOS can't fully control the fan's etc from the card or do I really need a referenced model card?

Did you try VGTab? I have a PowerColor Vega 56 Red Dragon that was flashed with Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + firmware and VGTab keeps the card cool.

I also re-did the thermal paste on the card.

Back