Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

@pastrychef

Do you ever encounter your USB connections acting up? When I plug in a mouse, HD, Wacom tablet or similar, all USB devices attached stalls a 8-10 seconds, before reacting again. I use you EFI folder. Would Opencore be better than Clover? :problem:

Thanks!

No, I haven't noticed this... OpenCore might be worth a try. I've been on OpenCore for quite a few months now...

Ok. Does all your USB ports on the I/O plate work?

Ok. Does all your USB ports on the I/O plate work?

Yes, the OpenCore EFI on post #1 is configured so that:
All USB ports on the rear are active.
The USB3 motherboard header is active.
The USB2 associated with the M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth slot is active.

OK, thanks. Do you recommend to make a clean install when trying OC?

OK, thanks. Do you recommend to make a clean install when trying OC?

No. There's absolutely no need to do that at all. It's just a massive waste of time.

1. Download the OpenCore EFI.
  2. Plug in your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the OpenCore config.plist.
  3. Replace the EFI on the EFI partition of your main system drive (or put it on the EFI partition of a USB flash drive if you want to test first).
  4. Reboot.

I just upgraded from an AMD 570 to an AMD 5700 in the Clover/Asus Z370-G/i7-8700k setup. With 2 2560x1440 monitors attached, in Starcraft II (2560x1440, ultimate/extreme everything, Metal), I notice a small performance uptick, but not quite the night-and-day difference I was hoping for. This is a good choice if you do a lot of Windows gaming; for MacOS I don't see a huge benefit.

For Windows I see 100-140 fps (on a 144hz monitor) and for MacOS, I see 60-80 fps, both in SC2, in a very quick check/test; I'll evaluate more as time goes by. Superposition will be the next benchmark; I expect it to be similar in performance to a standard 1080; maybe a touch less. At a higher price compared to the 1080, two years later, I admit this is a difficult pill to swallow. :(

I've done no BIOS flashing or made any other changes, instead testing for stability first.

I've had no driver issues, crash issues, blue/black screens, etc., as some have noted / complained of in Windows (Or MacOS for that matter).

As I have the iMac Pro "setup", I did need to change Clover bootargs to add the pikera bits. No other changes were required.

I had a few minutes left today and tried to play a heavy demanding GPU game (Company of Heroes 2) on my Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+. I noticed that the GPU has still difficulties and can suffer from heat I think. Also Heaven benchmarks will eventually take the GPU down by resetting the GPU with full blowing fans. So I put back the powerplaytable values witch improved somewhat. Any ideas? I'm a little done with this card and I like to upgrade maybe to a Radeon 7 or 5700. What will be best worry free purchase?

I had a few minutes left today and tried to play a heavy demanding GPU game (Company of Heroes 2) on my Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+. I noticed that the GPU has still difficulties and can suffer from heat I think. Also Heaven benchmarks will eventually take the GPU down by resetting the GPU with full blowing fans. So I put back the powerplaytable values witch improved somewhat. Any ideas? I'm a little done with this card and I like to upgrade maybe to a Radeon 7 or 5700. What will be best worry free purchase?

Apple typically allows the hardware to really heat up even to the point of throttling for the sake of trying to keep systems quiet...

Try using VGTab to see if you can keep the card cooler.

If you really want to upgrade, in my opinion, Radeon VII is a more trouble-free than 5700 XT as of today. If you are in the US, check Newegg. I recently saw a Radeon VII for about $550.

Hi,

I have an odd problem regarding the monitor output. I have two graphic cards as described in the signature. The AMD card is in slot #1 and connected to the monitor via HDMI, and the nVidia card is in slot #2 and connected to the monitor via DP. I have disabled the nVidia card from config.plist using devices properties. Things work well for both macOS and Windows.

But whenever the monitor go to sleep or being turned off in macOS (just the monitor, not the whole system), I can't get it to turn back on. HDMI has no output. I have to shuffle the monitor cable (switch DP cable from the nVidia card to AMD card) to get some sort of monitor output.

Any idea what I have done wrong here? It seems like a trivial problem.

Back