Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Good evening.

Just dropping back in here. After mine was running perfectly I think I must have forgotten to turn off auto-update and I turned the machine on to find it in the middle of updating to Catalina. It was already applying the update but after rebooting it got stuck on the apple progress screen at about 10%-ish and stopped there. I now have a machine that no longer boots and after a while puts up a no-entry type sign.

So I need to sort it out. I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that because I've not updated clover or anything its caused this. I'd actually ordered an MSI Vega 52 and a new NVME to put in it so I'm not sure what the best way forwards is now, I'm thinking a fresh install from scratch.

My question is, am I best off using clover, or is Opencore the thing to use now?

Good evening.

Just dropping back in here. After mine was running perfectly I think I must have forgotten to turn off auto-update and I turned the machine on to find it in the middle of updating to Catalina. It was already applying the update but after rebooting it got stuck on the apple progress screen at about 10%-ish and stopped there. I now have a machine that no longer boots and after a while puts up a no-entry type sign.

So I need to sort it out. I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that because I've not updated clover or anything its caused this. I'd actually ordered an MSI Vega 52 and a new NVME to put in it so I'm not sure what the best way forwards is now, I'm thinking a fresh install from scratch.

My question is, am I best off using clover, or is Opencore the thing to use now?

If you boot in verbose mode, we can probably figure out the cause for the prohibit sign.

Currently, I don't know that there's any real advantage to either Clover or OpenCore. If you are comfortable with Clover, there's currently no reason not to use it. If you's like to try OpenCore, it's also been working extremely well. One thing to note is that OpenCore is still technically considered "beta".

I will try booting in verbose tomorrow and see what it says. As I have a new NVME to put in anyway I'm thinking of doing a fresh install on that, and then I can put the current one in the second NVME slot just in case I need to recover any data, although tbh I don't think there is anything.

I might try open core just for the sake of giving it a go to be honest :)

I will try booting in verbose tomorrow and see what it says. As I have a new NVME to put in anyway I'm thinking of doing a fresh install on that, and then I can put the current one in the second NVME slot just in case I need to recover any data, although tbh I don't think there is anything.

I might try open core just for the sake of giving it a go to be honest :)

There's no problem with using OpenCore. If you don't like it, there's no problem switching back to Clover without having to make any changes to your installation.

Hey @pastrychef ! You are my last and only hope to help with this issue. WakeOnLan is needed to be able to turn on my computer via Google assistant.

Hey @pastrychef ! I have the same motherboard and CPU as you. My Radeon is a bit old-school compared to yours. I experience problems with wake on LAN. Could You managed to get it work? BIOS set up correctly, after using a bunch of guides, had to disable fast boot, and the ERP, and enabling power on by PCI-e ( for WOL ). The result is: if I shut down the computer before booting in macOS, I can wake on LAN it. But, if it booted to macOS, and pressed shutdown from macOS menu, it wont wake. With macOS shutdown, the network lights will not blink. (With button shutdown before macOS boots the network lights are blinking.) Turned off energy efficient networking, from network card properties, and set pmset -a networkoversleep 1 also. Same results. Saw a lot of settings for Windows, but on macOS cant find them. Any ideas on how can I get it to work?
Thanks.
PS. Sorry for my bad English.

Hey @pastrychef ! You are my last and only hope to help with this issue. WakeOnLan is needed to be able to turn on my computer via Google assistant.

Are you talking about powering on your system via magic packet?

Or are you talking about waking up a sleeping computer via magic packet?

Back