Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD Vega 56

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef Just to be clear : did the Intel X540-T2 10GBase-T card needs a Kext to work with Sierra 10.12.6?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if you want to use the Intel X540-T2 cards, you will need to hack the product-id and device-id in Linux. The idea is to change them to be the same as the SmallTree product-id and device-id so that you can use the SmallTree drivers.

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
As I previously stated, I filed a bug report with Asus regarding loss of ability to choose "Primary Display" in BIOS with BIOS 1601. I've been transferred to several reps along the way. I'm assuming I was progressing up the priority lists. The latest email I received from them was yesterday and the rep just wanted to assure me that their engineers are still working on it.
@pastrychef It looks like BIOS 1901 is available and has the PEG option selectable again.
ups, edit: For your board it´s the BIOS 2001, but I assume it will have it back also.

corint1

Suspended
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO WI-FI AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pastrychef It looks like BIOS 1901 is available and has the PEG option selectable again.
ups, edit: For your board it´s the BIOS 2001, but I assume it will have it back also.
Where found you peg/igpu selectable? hmmmm.

Version 1901-----2019/04/11-----10.36 MBytes

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) BIOS 1901
Updated uCode for the latest Intel processor.

Last edited:

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes. We have had it back since 1802. I filed a bug report and was in contact with Asus. I even helped test 1802 before it was officially released.

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Where found you peg/igpu selectable? hmmmm.

Version 1901-----2019/04/11-----10.36 MBytes

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) BIOS 1901
Updated uCode for the latest Intel processor.
Yes, the version history does not mention interface changes in the bios tool.
You should find it under Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG.
That is of course only for the non-WIFI version of the Hero X, but I assume both are more or less similar. And as pastrychef mentioned, it also returned to the Strix Z370-G Gaming bios interface.

corint1

Suspended
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO WI-FI AC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, the version history does not mention interface changes in the bios tool.
You should find it under Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG.
That is of course only for the non-WIFI version of the Hero X, but I assume both are more or less similar. And as pastrychef mentioned, it also returned to the Strix Z370-G Gaming bios interface.
is same mainboard, same bios ... not reject is want write from non wifi ... dont say invalid bios image ... and I dont have any option to select peg/igpu ... whatever ...

Motherboard
Asus Strix Z370-E
CPU
i9-9900K OC @ 5.0Ghz
Graphics
VEGA 64
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
What you are seeing in iStat Menus is normal and shows that power management is working correctly with your Vega. It is desirable for the GPU to clock down when idle. Same goes for CPU.

Here's my Vega:
View attachment 408078

Please try this config.plist and check in Photoshop.
Thanks or the the feedback and file! Question, when you click on the iStats Vega 64 Memory or Processor, does it show you the usage stats for the last hours, day, etc.? Mine is just blank? Is it the same for you? (Bottom right of the attached image.)

Do you run VegaTab now?

I swapped for your new file! I'll see the issues is solved in the next week as I use PS more.

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thanks or the the feedback and file! Question, when you click on the iStats Vega 64 Memory or Processor, does it show you the usage stats for the last hours, day, etc.? Mine is just blank? Is it the same for you? (Bottom right of the attached image.)

Do you run VegaTab now?

I swapped for your new file! I'll see the issues is solved in the next week as I use PS more.
Yes, I can see the usage history of my Vega in iStat Menus. If the history is not showing for you, please try this fix.

Yes, I still use VGTab. I use it because I like my customized power table.

Last edited:
Motherboard
z390
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
msi vega56
What you are seeing in iStat Menus is normal and shows that power management is working correctly with your Vega. It is desirable for the GPU to clock down when idle. Same goes for CPU.

Here's my Vega:
View attachment 408078

Please try this config.plist and check in Photoshop.
GPU temperature : 113° ? Is this normal?