Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Not only that, but this board is also missing the TB header. It's essentially a dongle I think

Like I said, some guys with MacPro5,1 have Thunderbolt working and those old Mac Pros don't have any Thunderbolt header either.

Last edited:
Not only that, but this board is also missing the TB header. It's essentially a dongle I think.

If the card is in the PCI-E slot and you have your devices plugged in at start up, there is a good chance you will be able to use the device. You likely will not be able to get Hot plug to work unless you have a header and even then it is difficult.

Like I said, some guys with MacPro5,1 have Thunderbolt working and those old Mac Pros don't have any Thunderbolt header either.

I've been following the threads over at MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section as I still have a Mac Pro 5,1. It requires you to install Windows 10. This messes up the NVRAM and affects the bootROM startup process. So, even though I *really* want to install a Titan Ridge card to get Thunderbolt 3 on my MP5,1, I *will not* install Windows to get Thunderbolt 3 capability...never...

I believe the next generation motherboards will use the Intel processors which have Thunderbolt built into them. Then we will not need Windoze to activate Thunderbolt.

I've been following the threads over at MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section as I still have a Mac Pro 5,1. It requires you to install Windows 10. This messes up the NVRAM and affects the bootROM startup process. So, even though I *really* want to install a Titan Ridge card to get Thunderbolt 3 on my MP5,1, I *will not* install Windows to get Thunderbolt 3 capability...never...

I believe the next generation motherboards will use the Intel processors which have Thunderbolt built into them. Then we will not need Windoze to activate Thunderbolt.

I no longer have my MacPro5,1, but when I did, installing Windows didn't have any adverse affects to my NVRAM or bootROM. The Bootcamp software just allows for the selection of startup drive from within Windows. That's the only thing that would change in NVRAM.

In fact, I still have that Windows install and I'm running it on this build. I just pulled the Windows drive out of my MacPro5,1 and plugged it in to this build and it worked (advantage of full retail Windows license).

I no longer have my MacPro5,1, but when I did, installing Windows didn't have any adverse affects to my NVRAM or bootROM. The Bootcamp software just allows for the selection of startup drive from within Windows. That's the only thing that would change in NVRAM.

In fact, I still have that Windows install and I'm running it on this build. I just pulled the Windows drive out of my MacPro5,1 and plugged it in to this build and it worked (advantage of full retail Windows license).
I've been following @tsialex's Mac Pro BootROM threads in the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section. It's full of war stories on what Windoze does even with BootCamp. Consequently, I'll await the next generation motherboards and processors to save my MP5,1 from becoming a brick, which I've upgraded over the years with faster processors and memory, USB 3 and USB 3 Type-C PCIe cards and NVMe M.2 PCIe card. But, I'm OT here. :lol:

You know, both the Z370-A and Z370-A II (and the Z390-A) have Thunderbolt chips on the motherboard, and TB does work in them. I should know as I have one with a TB 3 card in it, and yes, it works. I can't say for sure about a TB Monitor, but most TB devices I've plugged in have worked.

You know, both the Z370-A and Z370-A II (and the Z390-A) have Thunderbolt chips on the motherboard, and TB does work in them.

Wrong. None of them - Asus Z370-A, Z370-A II, and Z390-A - have thunderbolt on board . They only have TB header, but all of them need a separate cards on PCIEx to have TB connectivity's functionality.

About to update from
-EFI for Intel
-10.14.3 ---> 10.3.5

is there anything i should look out for? is there an exact process to update?

1. Make a backup of your existing EFI folder.
  2. Open your existing config.plist and copy the Serial, Board Serial, and UUID.
  3. Download the latest EFI folder from post #1.
  4. Paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID to the config.plist of the newly download EFI folder.
  5. Replace the EFI folder on the EFI partition of your main system drive.
  6. Update macOS.

Back