Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Another weirdness....Now I get this:
I already did a recovery re-install. This happened after I started running AVG antivirus, but I have no way of knowing if it's related or even important.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 8.05.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 8.05.01 PM.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 44
I could use some help upgrading to Monterey. My hack is based on @pastrychef's build, but with a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 mobo and a 9900KF cpu (no internal graphics, recently swapped from an 8700K). I'm on Big Sur 11.6.1 using Clover 5144 with a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, booting off of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB nvme drive.

All works pretty well, but any way I try to install Monterey 12.2 onto a freshly erased hard drive fails (I want to test on a different drive before migrating my users and data and cloning onto the Samsung). I have tried over a dozen times! I've used the installer directly from the App store and get stuck with errors from the installer. I have tried a USB stick installer. And I also tried booting an external drive with a vanilla install of monterey created by my MacBook Pro. This last external drive (a Samsung 960EVO nvme in a case) will start up from the Clover EFI but will not boot into Monterey when I select it as the boot drive--just a black screen, but it boots fine on my MBP. And to be honest, not even a clone of my current system has been able to boot my hackintosh after I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur. I've used the latest CCC to make the clones. I've tried clearing NVRAM a few times before each attempt. I know that supposedly the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives aren't very compatible with Monterey, though seem okay with Big Sur. But I'm stumped as to why I can't install on a different brand of SSD.

One other strange thing is that when Clover boots up, I have two sets of my boot drive listed (4 sets of drives--2 pairs for preboot and recovery). I can only boot if I choose the second preboot drive of my Big Sur boot drive. I wonder if this other pair is from a failed installation attempt or is actually one of the CCC clones which is cloned weekly from my original boot drive but has a different name. (I believe CCC has a note in the Legacy bootable disk creator about temporarily using the same name as the source drive while it is making the clone, but it gets changed upon completion, which is indeed the way it appears in the finder.) Anyway, perhaps this has nothing to do with my Monterey installation woes, but I thought I'd add it for background.

So would I be better off trying to migrate to OC first? Or are there some settings in my config file that are not compatible with booting or installing Monterey? Or perhaps the very presence of my 970 EVO Plus boot drive makes Monterey not want to install on even a different clean drive (Sandisk SSD) and I need to switch to a different nvme drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching a zip of my EFI folder. Thx for your help.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35.4 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Another weirdness....Now I get this:
I already did a recovery re-install. This happened after I started running AVG antivirus, but I have no way of knowing if it's related or even important.
Thanks

Sorry. I have no idea. I've never used any anti-virus software on macOS.

I could use some help upgrading to Monterey. My hack is based on @pastrychef's build, but with a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 mobo and a 9900KF cpu (no internal graphics, recently swapped from an 8700K). I'm on Big Sur 11.6.1 using Clover 5144 with a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, booting off of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB nvme drive.

All works pretty well, but any way I try to install Monterey 12.2 onto a freshly erased hard drive fails (I want to test on a different drive before migrating my users and data and cloning onto the Samsung). I have tried over a dozen times! I've used the installer directly from the App store and get stuck with errors from the installer. I have tried a USB stick installer. And I also tried booting an external drive with a vanilla install of monterey created by my MacBook Pro. This last external drive (a Samsung 960EVO nvme in a case) will start up from the Clover EFI but will not boot into Monterey when I select it as the boot drive--just a black screen, but it boots fine on my MBP. And to be honest, not even a clone of my current system has been able to boot my hackintosh after I upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur. I've used the latest CCC to make the clones. I've tried clearing NVRAM a few times before each attempt. I know that supposedly the Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives aren't very compatible with Monterey, though seem okay with Big Sur. But I'm stumped as to why I can't install on a different brand of SSD.

One other strange thing is that when Clover boots up, I have two sets of my boot drive listed (4 sets of drives--2 pairs for preboot and recovery). I can only boot if I choose the second preboot drive of my Big Sur boot drive. I wonder if this other pair is from a failed installation attempt or is actually one of the CCC clones which is cloned weekly from my original boot drive but has a different name. (I believe CCC has a note in the Legacy bootable disk creator about temporarily using the same name as the source drive while it is making the clone, but it gets changed upon completion, which is indeed the way it appears in the finder.) Anyway, perhaps this has nothing to do with my Monterey installation woes, but I thought I'd add it for background.

So would I be better off trying to migrate to OC first? Or are there some settings in my config file that are not compatible with booting or installing Monterey? Or perhaps the very presence of my 970 EVO Plus boot drive makes Monterey not want to install on even a different clean drive (Sandisk SSD) and I need to switch to a different nvme drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching a zip of my EFI folder. Thx for your help.

Samsung SSDs work with Monterey. It's just that boot times may be very slow due to Trim related issues.

With last two versions of macOS, we must boot from the "Preboot" partition.

Your EFI seems to be lacking any USB fixes. Try fixing USB first.

Also, boot in verbose mode and post photo of where it gets stuck.

Hi! I have a really odd display issue that I would like to pick the hive mind's brains on.

My ROG Strix Z370-G is using a MSI Radeon RX 570 running macOS 12.1 I am booting with the OpenCore 0.7.7 EFI attached in the OP. I haven't modified anything in it except the serial/uuid/mac address etc.

I purchased a new HP Z27k G3. This is a 4K display that has HDMI, DisplayPort and USB type C inputs.
  • When using the DisplayPort input, on start up everything is great until after the Apple logo and progress bar. Once the progress bar finishes or is nearly done I get a black screen and the display reports no signal.
    • However, if i remote desktop into macOS and look at the Displays preferences or the System Profiler app, it reports that the computer is connected to a Z27K and is reporting the correct resolution
    • If i put the computer to sleep and wake it back up, the display will turn on as if a signal is detected but it won't show anything but a black screen. It will then report "no signal" about 5 seconds in and shut off.
  • When using the HDMI inputs, start up and log in is normal. Even if I sleep and wake it up the display will have signal from the HDMI port
    • However, if I switch the input on the display from HDMI to anything else and then switch back to HDMI it will no longer detect any signal
    • Again if I remote desktop in, the Mac reports that it can see a Z27K monitor
    • Like before, if I put the Mac to sleep when there is no signal and wake it up, the display will wake up for a moment and then report "No signal"
  • I have an older (non 4k) Dell display. In the instances above where my HP cannot detect a signal, if I switch the DP or HDMI cable from the HP to the Dell, the signal will show up on the Dell and I will see the Mac desktop on there.
This makes me believe that there is something wrong with my HP display. However when I am running Windows or Linux on the same computer I cannot duplicate the issue on either inputs. I know that people have had Displayport issues before with this video card but all of the posts about it were running on Clover. Plus I get weirdness from HDMI as well. My issue seems to stem from this particular display but again I do not have this problem running on other operating systems.

I'm open to any suggestions on where else to investigate.

hi i have a really odd display issue that i would like to pick the hive mind's brains on.

My ROG Strix Z370-G is using a MSI Radeon RX 570 running MacOS 12.1 I am booting with the opencore 0.7.7 EFI attached in the OP. I haven't modified anything in it except the serial/uuid/mac address etc.

I purchased a new HP Z27k G3. This is a 4K display that has HDMI, Displayport and USB type C inputs.
  • When using the DisplayPort input, on start up everything is great until after the Apple logo and progress bar. Once the progress bar finishes or is nearly done I get a black screen and the display reports no signal.
    • However, if i remote desktop into MacOS and look at the Displays preferences or the System Profiler app, it reports that the computer is connected to a Z27K and is reporting the correct resolution
    • If i put the computer to sleep and wake it back up, the display will turn on as if a signal is detected but it won't show anything but a black screen. It will then report "no signal" about 5 seconds in and shut off.
  • When using the HDMI inputs, start up and log in is normal. Even if I sleep and wake it up the display will have signal from the HDMI port
    • However, if I switch the input on the display from HDMI to anything else and then switch back to HDMI it will no longer detect any signal
    • Again if I remote desktop in, the Mac reports that it can see a Z27K monitor
    • Like before, if I put the Mac to sleep when there is no signal and wake it up, the display will wake up for a moment and then report "No signal"
  • I have an older (non 4k) Dell display. In the instances above where my HP cannot detect a signal, if I switch the DP or HDMI cable from the HP to the Dell, the signalwill show up on the Dell and I will see the Mac desktop on there.
This makes me believe that there is something wrong with my HP display. However when I am running Windows or Linux on the same computer I cannot duplicate the issue on either inputs. I know that people have had Displayport issues before with this video card but all of the posts about it were running on Clover. Plus I get weirdness from HDMI as well. My issue seems to stem from this particular display but again I do not have this problem running on other operating systems.

I'm open to any suggestions on where else to investigate.

Hmm... Can you try disabling WhateverGreen and see if it helps?

Samsung SSDs work with Monterey. It's just that boot times may be very slow due to Trim related issues.

With last two versions of macOS, we must boot from the "Preboot" partition.

Your EFI seems to be lacking any USB fixes. Try fixing USB first.

Also, boot in verbose mode and post photo of where it gets stuck.
Thanks for your suggestions. You are right about the USB fix, I forgot to include my USB ports kext that I created with the guide on this site. All my ports seem to work pretty well, though the rear USB 3.1 Gen2 USBC and A ports do not show in Hackintool, but work fine at high speed. I'm uploading that kext here, along with my install error log, and a photo of the installer failure.

Here's what happened when I tried to install Monterey the two different ways:
1) External drive with vanilla Monterey installation created by my MBP. It has a Clover 5144 boot loader which works on my Big Sur 11.6.1 boot drive. Black screen after clover menu and choosing to boot from this drive. Waited over 5 minutes before giving up. Just like before.

2) USB Monterey 12.2 installer stick drive. I booted from the stick on a USB3 port and began the installation process. The first time I tried to install on my CCC cloned boot drive (which I cannot boot from BTW). It got to the 18 minutes left mark and had this error: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." So I rebooted and wiped the Sandisk drive which had a clone of my 11.6.1 boot on it and tried to install again on a vanilla APFS formatted drive. This time I made to the 12 minutes remaining mark with the same error (see attached). The error log has many "Failed to get bridge device" errors, among others.

Let me know if the log helps diagnose what is blocking installation. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Installer Log 6-Feb-2022-final failure at 12minutes.txt
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 37
  • tempImagemxKES2.png
    tempImagemxKES2.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 40
Thanks for your suggestions. You are right about the USB fix, I forgot to include my USB ports kext that I created with the guide on this site. All my ports seem to work pretty well, though the rear USB 3.1 Gen2 USBC and A ports do not show in Hackintool, but work fine at high speed. I'm uploading that kext here, along with my install error log, and a photo of the installer failure.

Here's what happened when I tried to install Monterey the two different ways:
1) External drive with vanilla Monterey installation created by my MBP. It has a Clover 5144 boot loader which works on my Big Sur 11.6.1 boot drive. Black screen after clover menu and choosing to boot from this drive. Waited over 5 minutes before giving up. Just like before.

2) USB Monterey 12.2 installer stick drive. I booted from the stick on a USB3 port and began the installation process. The first time I tried to install on my CCC cloned boot drive (which I cannot boot from BTW). It got to the 18 minutes left mark and had this error: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." So I rebooted and wiped the Sandisk drive which had a clone of my 11.6.1 boot on it and tried to install again on a vanilla APFS formatted drive. This time I made to the 12 minutes remaining mark with the same error (see attached). The error log has many "Failed to get bridge device" errors, among others.

Let me know if the log helps diagnose what is blocking installation. Thanks for your help.

Try deleting everything in config.plist > Devices > Properties and "updating firmware" in config.plist > SMBIOS or try NOT using MacPro6,1 system definition.

Also, the error log is showing Bluetooth errors. What kind of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using?

Try deleting everything in config.plist > Devices > Properties and "updating firmware" in config.plist > SMBIOS or try NOT using MacPro6,1 system definition.

Also, the error log is showing Bluetooth errors. What kind of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card are you using?
The gaming 5 has onboard wifi (Intel® 1x1 802.11ac Wireless – AC 3165) which I don't use in my Big Sur build--just ethernet. No bluetooth extra card or included on motherboard.

Want to make sure about the Clover config.plist changes, so have attached screenshots to verify which settings I'm killing and checking. As for which Mac to emulate, when I had the 8700k, I was successfully using the imac19 choice, but when I switched to the 9900kf, I read that hackintoshers were recommending I switch to a MacPro because of no onboard gpu only external (my vega56). One thing I don't understand about changing system definitions, is do I have to generate new serial numbers and board numbers, etc--or can I use what I already have. I have already lost all of my Apple Music playlists and don't know if that was related to a number changing. It is not the end of the world, if necessary.

I think I'd try your config.plist device and firmware settings first before switching the system definition.

Thx.

Attachments

• Clover Devices-Properties.png
    Clover Devices-Properties.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 38
  • SMBIOS.png
    SMBIOS.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 40
The gaming 5 has onboard wifi (Intel® 1x1 802.11ac Wireless – AC 3165) which I don't use in my Big Sur build--just ethernet. No bluetooth extra card or included on motherboard.

Want to make sure about the Clover config.plist changes, so have attached screenshots to verify which settings I'm killing and checking. As for which Mac to emulate, when I had the 8700k, I was successfully using the imac19 choice, but when I switched to the 9900kf, I read that hackintoshers were recommending I switch to a MacPro because of no onboard gpu only external (my vega56). One thing I don't understand about changing system definitions, is do I have to generate new serial numbers and board numbers, etc--or can I use what I already have. I have already lost all of my Apple Music playlists and don't know if that was related to a number changing. It is not the end of the world, if necessary.

I think I'd try your config.plist device and firmware settings first before switching the system definition.

Thx.

Yes. Delete all of those.

If you don't have iGPU, use iMacPro1,1.

If you are using Clover Configurator, it will generate new Serial, Board Serial, and UUID for you. When changing system definitions, you should generate new.

Back