Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard
Asus Z690-Creator WIFI
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, regarding te SAFE mode posting: this also started to happen to mi rig once I switched to OC, it never happened with Clover.
I am yet on EFi OC 0.7.6
BS 11.6.1
Bios 3004

I though it might be something related to my rig because I changed to OC when I upgraded to i9+BigSur+AMD gpus and a new 1200w PSU.

Thanks!
I also have BIOS 3004. And since OC 0.7.6. there is this error message. This error did not appear in the previous OC versions (e.g. 0.6.7 etc.). I left Clover behind a long time ago, too much unnecessary code.

I enabled the following option/Quirk in Opencore Configurator:
UEFI -> Protocol Overrides -> AppleRtcRam
Kernel -> Quirks -> DisableRtcChecksum
I also installed the RTCMemoryFixup.kext.
So far it seems to be working.

Maybe you can try it too and confirm success?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have two questions:
Recently I got the following error message when I started the system:
"The system has POSTed in safe mode. This may be due to the previous POST attempt failing because of system instability or if the power button was held to force the system off. If the system failed to POST after you made changes to UEFI settings, you may wish to revert to stable settings to prevent POST failure. Press F1 to Run SETUP."

I haven't changed anything in the system configuration. Currently running MacOS BigSur 11.6.1 and Opencore 0.7.7.
To be on the safe side, I have already changed the bios battery and loaded the optimized system defaults and reconfigured the BIOS.
I suspect that this error is related to the RTC function. If a solution has already been published in the forum, I would be grateful for a hint. Otherwise, of course, I have the option of deactivating the F1 error report in the BIOS.

My second question concerns my dual boot system:
As soon as I deactivate VT-d in the BIOS, my separate Windows 11 installation no longer starts correctly but stops. Only when I reactivate VT-d in the BIOS does it run correctly again. Was or is there also a reference to this?

Thanx for all answers.

Hi, regarding te SAFE mode posting: this also started to happen to mi rig once I switched to OC, it never happened with Clover.
I am yet on EFi OC 0.7.6
BS 11.6.1
Bios 3004

I though it might be something related to my rig because I changed to OC when I upgraded to i9+BigSur+AMD gpus and a new 1200w PSU.

Thanks!

I also have BIOS 3004. And since OC 0.7.6. there is this error message. This error did not appear in the previous OC versions (e.g. 0.6.7 etc.). I left Clover behind a long time ago, too much unnecessary code.

I enabled the following option/Quirk in Opencore Configurator:
UEFI -> Protocol Overrides -> AppleRtcRam
Kernel -> Quirks -> DisableRtcChecksum
I also installed the RTCMemoryFixup.kext.
So far it seems to be working.

Maybe you can try it too and confirm success?

Make sure config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > DisableRtcChecksum is enabled.

Motherboard
Asus Z690-Creator WIFI
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Make sure config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > DisableRtcChecksum is enabled.
Yes of course, I forgot about that because it (DisableRtcChecksum) was already enabled in my config.plist.
See my last Post #12041

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used OCAT (OpenCore Aux Tools) to upgrade from .76 to .77 without issue or incident. I didn't test audio 3.5MM output, only HDMI (which seems fine).

In other news, my Asus "red" USB ports both died. :(. I was screwing in an antenna to the new Broadcom wifi 9304CS2 card's antenna ports (while the machine was on, because hey, what could happen!?) and my mouse and keyboard, both attached to those ports, located right next to the antenna and the wifi card I was touching, stopped working. A disable/enable later and those ports still don't work. I've a feeling they're lost forever. :(

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used OCAT (OpenCore Aux Tools) to upgrade from .76 to .77 without issue or incident. I didn't test audio 3.5MM output, only HDMI (which seems fine).

In other news, my Asus "red" USB ports both died. :(. I was screwing in an antenna to the new Broadcom wifi 9304CS2 card's antenna ports (while the machine was on, because hey, what could happen!?) and my mouse and keyboard, both attached to those ports, located right next to the antenna and the wifi card I was touching, stopped working. A disable/enable later and those ports still don't work. I've a feeling they're lost forever. :(

AppleALC does not handle HDMI audio.

If you just touched the outside of the USB ports, I think they should still work. That's just ground. Test with Windows or Linux.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Audio: Yep, just commenting HDMI audio isn’t impacted.

USB: They’re really dead. Gone. In Hackintool the Asmedia SomethingSomething doesn’t show up anymore in the USB tab. No power to a mouse when I plug it in. No control or feedback at the EFI boot up (or reaction to DEL at attempt to get into BIOS). I am pretty sure I killed it. :(

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
AppleALC: 1.69 (compiled via Hacktool) fixes 1.68's 3.5MM audio issue; no other change whatsoever is required.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is SSDT-DMAR required if we disable VT-d in BIOS already, or use DisableIOMapper quirk?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is SSDT-DMAR required if we disable VT-d in BIOS already, or use DisableIOMapper quirk?

No, but it's part of what's required to enable "AppleVTD".

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook