Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Clover EFI updated to r5144. All kexts updated to latest release versions.

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.7.8. All kexts updated to latest release versions.
Hi @pastrychef ....don't hate me, it's still me.
OC 0.7.8 goes into critical error because it does not find HfsPlus.efi in the 'Drivers' folder ... in fact it does not exist, I think it was forgotten to insert it.
In the 'Drivers' folder there are 15 *.efi files, while in the config.plist there are 18 files.

2022-02-13 11.48.12.jpg
OC078.png

it does not find HfsPlus.efi in the 'Drivers' folder
Put HfsPlus.efi in the 'Drivers' folder or change the config.plist entry from HfsPlus.efi to OpenHfsPlus.efi.

Hello @pastrychef, always great work on the open core. I did everything according to your guide since last year. This time I got these strings on booting. The hack then boot regurlarly into big sur (I wanted to update to Monterey). Any tips? Thanks!
IMG_7210.JPG

Hello @pastrychef, always great work on the open core. I did everything according to your guide since last year. This time I got these strings on booting. The hack then boot regurlarly into big sur (I wanted to update to Monterey). Any tips? Thanks!
View attachment 542825

Hmm.... Try clearing NVRAM. Also, make sure you have VT-d and VT-x enabled in BIOS.

I really didn't want to put any more money in to my hackintosh because I intend to buy a real Mac soon, but my Vega 56 was acting up a bit and I saw an AsRock 6600 XT on Newegg for $500 and took the dive.

Why not a 6800 or 68800 XT? (1) I just didn't want to spend that kind of money and (2) it's almost impossible to find these that only use two PCI-e slots.

From a gaming perspective, everything I'd seen/read about the 6600 XT indicated that performance is almost identical to the 5700 XT which performed extremely similarly to the Radeon VII (my previous card). I'm very comfortable with this level of performance.

The 6600 XT was pretty much plug-n-play. The only thing I needed to do was add the "agdpmod=pikera" boot arg. I also enabled the resize bar thing but that's optional and not absolutely necessary.

So far, I'm very impressed with performance and how efficient it is. Temps and power consumption are very good. Also, the 6600 XT plays the 3DMark Port Royal 8K 60fps video much better than any video card I've ever owned. While still imperfect, it's very close. You can download and try the videos here.

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 10.45.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 10.55.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Might be worth noting that 12.1 is required to use the 6600XT...

Personally, I always want to be on the latest version of macOS and have never had a reason to go backwards.

Hi @pastrychef, I've never been able to find an answer to this specific question, so thought I'd ask you to see if you know off the top of your head: Is the Gigabyte 370 Aorus Gaming 7 limited to OpenCore 060 because of the chipset? Or is it only limited by me running Mojave* ?

*Mojave is necessary because I'm running a Firewire audio interface.

Attachments

• OC060_Z370 System.png
    OC060_Z370 System.png
    196.8 KB · Views: 34
  • OC060_Z370 USB.png
    OC060_Z370 USB.png
    207 KB · Views: 36
  • OC060_Z370 Patch.png
    OC060_Z370 Patch.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 34
  • OC060_Z370 NVRAM .png
    OC060_Z370 NVRAM .png
    127.5 KB · Views: 39
  • OC 060config.plist
    16 KB · Views: 30
Hi @pastrychef, I've never been able to find an answer to this specific question, so thought I'd ask you to see if you know off the top of your head: Is the Gigabyte 370 Aorus Gaming 7 limited to OpenCore 060 because of the chipset? Or is it only limited by me running Mojave* ?

*Mojave is necessary because I'm running a Firewire audio interface.

There's no reason why you should be limited OpenCore 0.6.0. On later versions of OpenCore, just set both of the following to "-1":

config.plist > UEFI > MinDate
config.plist > UEFI > MinVersion

Btw, you have 16 USB ports active. You should disable one more.

Back