Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I don't know much about OCValidate. I've only used it once.

I don't use Little Snitch... I find it too much of a PITA. I use the tools from objective-see.com
Apparently my Bluetooth is screwed up because my ports got messed up by Monterey. Some of the needed ports do not appear.
Currently I have USBPorts.kext in Kexts and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml and SSDT-UIAC.aml in ACPI. I'm pretty sure that I need to add USBinjectall to Kexts to show all possible ports, but when I add it to kexts, nothing changes. Do I need to remove USBPorts or either of the items in ACPI?
Thanks

Apparently my Bluetooth is screwed up because my ports got messed up by Monterey. Some of the needed ports do not appear.
Currently I have USBPorts.kext in Kexts and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml and SSDT-UIAC.aml in ACPI. I'm pretty sure that I need to add USBinjectall to Kexts to show all possible ports, but when I add it to kexts, nothing changes. Do I need to remove USBPorts or either of the items in ACPI?
Thanks

You should not use USBPorts.kext and SSDT-UIAC.aml. Pick one and use it, not both. My preference is for USBPorts.kext.

SSDT-UIAC.aml is dependent on USBInjectAll.

If you need to re-do your USB ports, get rid of USBPorts.kext and SSDT-UIAC.aml and enable all ports with USBInjectAll. Then re-do your mapping.

You should not use USBPorts.kext and SSDT-UIAC.aml. Pick one and use it, not both. My preference is for USBPorts.kext.

SSDT-UIAC.aml is dependent on USBInjectAll.

If you need to re-do your USB ports, get rid of USBPorts.kext and SSDT-UIAC.aml and enable all ports with USBInjectAll. Then re-do your mapping.
I now have SSDT-EC-USBX.aml in ACPI and USBInjectall in Kexts. But I only show HS1 through HS12 and SS01 through SS03. I'm doing something wrong I think.

I now have SSDT-EC-USBX.aml in ACPI and USBInjectall in Kexts. But I only show HS1 through HS12 and SS01 through SS03. I'm doing something wrong I think.

Try enabling config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit.

Hello @pastrychef,

I've been running this Golden Build of yours since 2018 with a Radeon RX580. For a couple years now it's been happily on 10.15.7 but I thought I'd try to upgrade it to Big Sur or Monterey now.

It seems that Catalina was the last MacOS where TonyMac made a UniBeast, and is now recommending OpenCore, which at first glance I do not understand. I thought the smartest thing to do would be to first upgrade to your newest OpenCore EFI folder and see if the machine boots at all, and if it does then work my way through upgrading the OS.

I made a CCC backup and a backup of my current EFI folder, then put in your latest OpenCore EFI folder, put in my MAC address, MLB, Serial, and UUID, and booted. I get a black screen with three icons, a Windows disk icon (I have a hard drive with Windows 10 also in the computer), an EFI external disk icon (my CCC backup), and "Reset NVRAM." But my Catalina partitions, which are APFS as you'd expect, and on an M.2 drive, and not FileVault encrypted, are nowhere to be found. Strangely, the Windows 10 drive doesn't even boot correctly anymore, and selecting the "EFI" disk icon takes me to the Clover EFI on the CCC backup, which no longer responds to key presses and also doesn't show my Catalina partitions - I'm sure OpenCore is injecting a lot more stuff into memory than Clover ever did and Windows 10 and Clover don't like running after it is loaded.

I tried searching for an answer and there seems to be a secure boot option in config.plist that breaks Catalina if it's not disabled. I disabled it and nothing changed. I also changed the Mac model from iMacPro1,1 in your config.plist to iMac18,1 which is what I've been running as the last few years, and that also changed nothing.

What have I done wrong here? It would be inconvenient but not the end of the world to do a clean install. If I've missed something simple I'd like to try that first, though. But since the machine is one of my daily drivers perhaps I should be thinking about just going to the last version of Big Sur instead of Monterey as I'm sure there are many bugs for Apple to fix. OpenCore is supposed to let you install OS updates with less fuss, right?

Hello @pastrychef,

I've been running this Golden Build of yours since 2018 with a Radeon RX580. For a couple years now it's been happily on 10.15.7 but I thought I'd try to upgrade it to Big Sur or Monterey now.

It seems that Catalina was the last MacOS where TonyMac made a Unibeast, and is now recommending OpenCore, which at first glance I do not understand. I thought the smartest thing to do would be to first upgrade to your newest OpenCore EFI folder and see if the machine boots at all, and if it does then work my way through upgrading the OS.

I made a CCC backup and a backup of my current EFI folder, then put in your latest OpenCore EFI folder, put in my MAC address, MLB, Serial, and UUID, and booted. I get a black screen with three icons, a Windows disk icon (I have a hard drive with Windows 10 also in the computer), an EFI external disk icon (my CCC backup), and "Reset NVRAM." But my Catalina partitions, which are APFS as you'd expect, and on an M.2 drive, and not FileVault encrypted, are nowhere to be found. Strangely, the Windows 10 drive doesn't even boot correctly anymore, and selecting the "EFI" disk icon takes me to the Clover EFI on the CCC backup, which no longer responds to keypresses and also doesn't show my Catalina partitions - I'm sure OpenCore is injecting a lot more stuff into memory than Clover ever did and Windows 10 and Clover don't like running after it is loaded.

I tried searching for an answer and there seems to be a secure boot option in config.plist that breaks Catalina if it's not disabled. I disabled it and nothing changed. I also changed the Mac model from iMacPro1,1 in your config.plist to iMac18,1 which is what I've been running as the last few years, and that also changed nothing.

What have I done wrong here? It would be inconvenient but not the end of the world to do a clean install. If I've missed something simple I'd like to try that first, though. But since the machine is one of my daily drivers perhaps I should be thinking about just going to the last version of Big Sur instead of Monterey as I'm sure there are many bugs for Apple to fix. OpenCore is supposed to let you install OS updates with less fuss, right?

When trying to boot older versions of macOS with newer versions of OpenCore, we need to make the following changes...

Open your config.plist with OpenCore Configurator and add "-1" to the two following fields:
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 9.48.08 PM.png

I knew it was something simple! Thank you. It found my partitions and booted right up.

I must have entered something incorrectly into config.plist because it did make me sign into iCloud again and my other devices popped up a notification that I had just "signed in to a new Mac," and iMessage asks me to sign in but won't take my password.

I will look at it again in the morning but this is a good first step. Thanks again!

@pastrychef I downloaded OpenCore Configurator and GenSMBIOS, got myself a new serial/MLB/UUID/ROM, plugged them in, and booted back into Catalina to make sure it worked; it did and I made sure I could sign into iCloud and get into iMessage and all that.

The only weird thing I ran into was that I went into System Preferences -> Software Update, which has been bugging me every day for two years to upgrade MacOS, and suddenly it shows me a message that "updates for this Mac are managed externally," which I've never seen. (I have bought surplus Macs from school districts that they didn't take out of their management system and it didn't behave like that, just this message.) Wonder if that's a quirk related to running the latest OC on such an old macOS.

Anyway, I went to the App Store and searched for "Monterey," it showed me macOS Monterey, I downloaded it and it installed just fine! I'm running it now. It seems to be running fine but I'll have to test it for a few days and make sure.

I appreciate your hard work keeping this build running and updated, and being here when we need help!

Try enabling config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit.
So I think I've messed something up as I can no longer boot when I have USB ports turned off and USB Injectall turned on.
Is it normal to have different things in OC/ACPI and ACPI in Opencore Configurator? OC/ACPI has SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, and Opencore Configurator has SSDT-PLU, SSDT-EC, AND SSDT-DMAR (amls) in ACPI.
Thanks

So I think I've messed something up as I can no longer boot when I have USB ports turned off and USB Injectall turned on.
Is it normal to have different things in OC/ACPI and ACPI in Opencore Configurator? OC/ACPI has SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, and Opencore Configurator has SSDT-PLU, SSDT-EC, AND SSDT-DMAR (amls) in ACPI.
Thanks

SSDT-EC-USBX just injects the EC device and USB power. It doesn't not configure your USB ports.

The aml files listed in config.plist > ACPI need to be in /EFI/OC/ACPI/.

If you already configured USB in the past, there's no need to do it again just because you update to a new version of macOS. Your USB ports won't change from one version of macOS to another.

Back