Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi, I am still running Catalina on this golden built (ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi AC) - with the Colver that was available back in September 2020 - when i installed Catalina from scratch.

All is still running well, all Catalina updates are also imstalled. Both Big-Sur and Monterey has considerably larger install .app (as I understand due to the dual CPU relevance to support both intel and m1).

Not sure if performance-wise it is suggested to upgrade from Catlania (and I don't see any major features that would worth to move from Catalina) >>> if you have any specific reasons to upgrade to Monterey (from Catalina) - please share it here!

As I understand - the best way (would be) to make a clean Monterey install is to:
  • download Monterey from the app store, create a bootable usb (createinstallermedia in terminal),
  • use the latest EFI mounter, and mount the EFI partition of the USB pendrive,
  • take the latest OpenCore (NOT Clover!) EFI content from this post (thanks to PastryChef) and update the HW specific numbers (as described in the readme) - and then copy the updated config on the `EFI partition of the pendrive,
  • boot/install Monterey from the USB pendrive and at the end of the process copy the EFI content from the pendrive to the EFI partition of the system...
Many thanks!

I just like to stay up to date with the latest versions of macOS and know that the latest versions of software will work. Also, IMO, keeping everything up to date makes updates easier.

Yes, that's would be the best way to do a new clean install.

I have just tried to upgrade my hackintosh from latest Big Sur to Monterey and it doesn't seem to work - the first reboot after OSX Install is done looks like a crash (enters BIOS setup forcefully), then it tries to simply boot the OSX system disk instead of that temporary installation one. If I choose the temp disk instead, the progress bar reaches about 20% and reboots to the same situation, again trying to boot from OSX system disk. I have tried resetting nvram, tried updating OC to 0.7.4, nothing seems to be helping.

Any clues what's wrong?

I have just tried to upgrade my hackintosh from latest Big Sur to Monterey and it doesn't seem to work - the first reboot after OSX Install is done looks like a crash (enters BIOS setup forcefully), then it tries to simply boot the OSX system disk instead of that temporary installation one. If I choose the temp disk instead, the progress bar reaches about 20% and reboots to the same situation, again trying to boot from OSX system disk. I have tried resetting nvram, tried updating OC to 0.7.4, nothing seems to be helping.

Any clues what's wrong?

I need to see some verbose screens to have an idea...

Add "-v" boot argument and post a photo where it crashes. Please see here.
1635609965044.jpeg

This is what I see after adding '-v' to the boot args and running the upgrade process again. It seems to be stuck at it this time.

That looks weird. Maybe your config.plist is corrupt.
What do I do about it? I can't seem to be able to go back to the OSX boot disk anymore, I'm not getting that disk selection screen at all.

What do I do about it? I can't seem to be able to go back to the OSX boot disk anymore, I'm not getting that disk selection screen at all.

Boot from a USB flash drive.

Back