Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Weird... When you first reported this, I really thought it was an overclock or RAM issue.

Can you try with a clean install of macOS and Photoshop with no plug-ins or any extra macOS apps installed?

Also, please set XMP to No in your config.plist:
View attachment 438851

thanks @pastrychef good eye! I will see if the issue occurs again now that this XMP =no option is set.

If that don't fix it, then I'll get a new SSD hardrive and install Mac OS on it.

SIDE QUESTION, do you think if I clone my Mac OS to a HHD spinning disk, it might have more issues then I clone my mac os to a SSD (i remember something about APFS drive format being better for SSDs), but not sure if it's bad for HHDs)

thanks again for the insights!

thanks @pastrychef good eye! I will see if the issue occurs again now that this XMP =no option is set.

If that don't fix it, then I'll get a new SSD hardrive and install Mac OS on it.

SIDE QUESTION, do you think if I clone my Mac OS to a HHD spinning disk, it might have more issues then I clone my mac os to a SSD (i remember something about APFS drive format being better for SSDs), but not sure if it's bad for HHDs)

thanks again for the insights!

If macOS is is clean and problem free to start with, cloning is not a problem. I've done it dozens of times. I went about 13 years without doing a clean install so there was a lot of cloning going on during that run.

If macOS is is clean and problem free to start with, cloning is not a problem. I've done it dozens of times. I went about 13 years without doing a clean install so there was a lot of cloning going on during that run.

ah sweet great to know!!

Is that an issues that you know of cloning an SSD install to an HHD and then cloning that HHD clone to another SSD?
curious about your experience

ah sweet great to know!!

Is that an issues that you know of cloning an SSD install to an HHD and then cloning that HHD clone to another SSD?
curious about your experience

SSD to HD is not a problem.
HD to SSD is not a problem.
SSD to SSD is not a problem.
HD to HD is not a problem.

Even USB drives are not a problem.

I don't know. It sounds like you've done it correctly... I don't know why those ports are not working.

I forgot all about this post, but I figured I'd follow up here to share that for me, I was unable to disable any portion of a USB3 port while leaving the other portion functional.. Once I only disabled either the whole port or none of it, I was able to settle in on a mapping that gave me access to enough of the ports that I really wanted.

I forgot all about this post, but I figured I'd follow up here to share that for me, I was unable to disable any portion of a USB3 port while leaving the other portion functional.. Once I only disabled either the whole port or none of it, I was able to settle in on a mapping that gave me access to enough of the ports that I really wanted.

Try using Hackintool to create your own SSDT or kext to fix your USB ports.

You can use directions here.

Hi Pastrychef,

It happens that my hackintosh lockups from time to time (like all 3-4 days or so), i.e. there is no input possible anymore and also the image on all displays freezes. I am using the Apple Magic keyboard and mouse and the Apple Blutooth card. This happens sometime when scrolling on the touchpad, typing or just when the screensaver runs... so on different occasions and for no obvious reasons.

After that freeze, even connecting the keyboard via USB no input is possible any longer.
The computer itself is running and I can connect remotely via ssh, shutdown, etc. but I can't do anything on it on the kbd/screen.

Do you have any idea as to what I might check to troubleshoot that behaviour?
Thanks for your thoughts, highly appreciated!

Edit:
At the moment, it hangs, and I am connected via ssh. So, if needed, I can execute any commands.

Don't know if you have encountered this, but I sure did. This was specific to my Z370 system. (It did not affect the X299 system that way.)

Kernel Panic from latest WEG. I know it was WEG because, when I replaced the latest new WEG with a WEG from October 30th, system booted just fine.

Now, it could be because I am using a different Graphics card - the Vega 56 on the Z370. But a simple change of WEG versions, with all of other very new Kexts and Drivers, and it came up and booted perfectly.

Thought you'd like to know.....

Same here. 1.34 works and 1.35 causes reboots at 5 percent on Apple logo boot up.

Hi Pastrychef,

It happens that my hackintosh lockups from time to time (like all 3-4 days or so), i.e. there is no input possible anymore and also the image on all displays freezes. I am using the Apple Magic keyboard and mouse and the Apple Blutooth card. This happens sometime when scrolling on the touchpad, typing or just when the screensaver runs... so on different occasions and for no obvious reasons.

After that freeze, even connecting the keyboard via USB no input is possible any longer.
The computer itself is running and I can connect remotely via ssh, shutdown, etc. but I can't do anything on it on the kbd/screen.

Do you have any idea as to what I might check to troubleshoot that behaviour?
Thanks for your thoughts, highly appreciated!

Edit:
At the moment it hangs and I am connected via ssh, so if needed I can execute any commands.

Hmm... If event a USB keyboard doesn't work, I would have to guess that it's USB related. Which USB 15 port limit fix are you using?

Back