Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Since the Strix boot drive works fine in my iTX and my iTX drive works fine in my Strix, it's only rational that there is something wrong with the Strix. Especially since one day sleep worked and the next day it didn't.

I replaced the Bluetooth/WIFI chip with one that fit in the same location. Since iMessage works, I really don't want to fool with the chip. But I can't think what else it could be.
Is there a utility that can check the motherboard?
thx

Try disabling Bluetooth in BIOS to see if it sleeps.

Received my new wifi card some days ago, but it's still totally dead. So i now suspect the adapter, ordered a new one so will se if that makes a difference. I couldn't resist installing Mojave Beta, running without any problems so far! :)

I was thinking... You can try running your RX 580 without WhateverGreen. Leave Lilu installed because without it, you will not have audio.

I tried with SMBIOS=iMac 18,3 and boot to black screen, iMac 14,2 boot normally, so I used SMBIOS= iMac 18,3 with boardID from iMac 14,2. Until now no freeze, everything running smoothly :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,

Thank you for your help !!!

I am planning yo buy a Radeon vega 56, which one do you recommend ? it is noisy ? fan runs normally
on HighSierra and Mojave ?

I tried with SMBIOS=iMac 18,3 and boot to black screen, iMac 14,2 boot normally, so I used SMBIOS= iMac 18,3 with boardID from iMac 14,2. Until now no freeze, everything running smoothly :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:,

Thank you for your help !!!

I am planning yo buy a Radeon vega 56, which one do you recommend ? it is noisy ? fan runs normally
on HighSierra and Mojave ?

Oh. I've read about some people needing to use iMac14,2 boardID... I forgot aobut it... I never understood why that was needed...

If you purchase a Vega card with reference style cooler, you will need one of the Vega Fix kexts to get the fans to behave correctly. This works for both High Sierra and Mojave public beta. Usually, reference style coolers are noisier under heavy load than custom coolers. However, the reference coolers blow the heat out of the computer while heat is blown and kept inside the computer with one of the custom/open coolers. Please see images below. Blue arrows represent cool air and red arrows represent hot air.

BLOWER-TYPE2-768x504.png open-air-768x618.png

If you use a Vega card with a custom/open cooler, the fan behavior will be entirely controlled by the video card's firmware. I don't know exactly which models have fans that behave well. You will have to try and ask other users in buying advice or graphics sub-forums. Usually, custom/open coolers cool better and may run more quietly under full load than reference coolers.

For a better explanation of the pluses and minuses of different types of coolers please see the following link:
http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2017/07/video-card-coolers-blower-vs-open-air-vs-aio/

Hi Guys,
Has anyone ever had this problem? I have an electric noise like a whine coil that comes from the vega 56 when i read movies, move/scroll mouse. But it does not on windows 10. and in addition I just tested with a second Vega 56, same problem! Thanks for your help

Build:
Asus Prime Z370-A
Saphire AMD RADEON Vega 56

Hi Guys,
Has anyone ever had this problem? I have an electric noise like a whine coil that comes from the vega 56 when i read movies, move/scroll mouse. But it does not on windows 10. and in addition I just tested with a second Vega 56, same problem! Thanks for your help

Build:
Asus Prime Z370-A
Saphire AMD RADEON Vega 56

No, I have never experienced any coil whine from any of the video cards I've used with my hacks. That includes GTX 745, GTX 980, GTX 1080, RX 560, Vega 56.

No, I have never experienced any coil whine from any of the video cards I've used with my hacks. That includes GTX 745, GTX 980, GTX 1080, RX 560, Vega 56.
Me too it is crazy! and the worste is that i tested with another Vega!

Vega GPUs are natively supported by macOS.
Vega cards with "reference" style coolers can have fans controlled by macOS.
macOS can not control the fans on Vega cards with custom coolers.

This means that if you choose a Vega with a custom cooler, don't expect the Vega fan fix kexts to work. The fans will be entirely controlled by the cards' firmware. In some cases, this can mean fans that spin faster than necessary.

It looks that the Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro is suffering from a fan speed-up bug. As soon as the GPU is under load it works as expected. Fans are controlled nicely as they should. However when I leave the program causing the load the card has to become idle. The opposite is happening. The card is increasing its fan speed until its reaching 100%. Sleep / Wake will turn off the fans. GPUSensors from the clover kexts resulting in a bad temp readout of 127 degrees so I removed these. Now I see good readings in heaven etc, Nicely approx 45 degrees max.

The following attempts were already made by me:
  1. Removing GPUsensors from Clover kexts,
  2. A (H265) video clip, which was told in other topics, don't spins the fans down,
Any idea how to fix this? Re-reading you older comment gives me the bad feeling that it won't be fixable.

It looks that the Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro is suffering from a fan speed-up bug. As soon as the GPU is under load it works as expected. Fans are controlled nicely as they should. However when I leave the program causing the load the card has to become idle. The opposite is happening. The card is increasing its fan speed until its reaching 100%. Sleep / Wake will turn off the fans. GPUSensors from the clover kexts resulting in a bad temp readout of 127 degrees so I removed these. Now I see good readings in heaven etc, Nicely approx 45 degrees max.

The following attempts were already made by me:
  1. Removing GPUsensors from Clover kexts,
  2. A (H265) video clip, which was told in other topics, don't spins the fans down,
Any idea how to fix this? Re-reading you older comment gives me the bad feeling that it won't be fixable.

I don't know of any way to control the fans on Vega cards with custom/open coolers in macOS.

The GPUsensor component of FakeSMC has never caused my Vega to run hot. However, it also does not provide any GPU temp or GPU fan info. I tested the HWSensors build of FakeSMC and it did provide GPU temps but gave incorrect motherboard fan readings.

Prior to the Vega fan fixes being available, I read about and tried playing a video clip but it never did anything for my Vega.

Back