Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

That's just updated info in SMBIOS section of config.plist. Occasionally, it's probably a good idea to update it. This can be done using Clover Configurator. Just click the little button that allows you to choose system definition and you will get all those fields updated to latest.
the question was different .... you know too well that the bios differences make a system to work correctly or not ... how well do you know about simbios 19.1 without which vega is not usable in programs like fcpx...and how a lot of anomalies have been resolved in 13.6 or in mojave beta 5 ...
I did not ask in vain, I noticed that you are involved in a lot and you read a lot about os x implementation and thought you had a pertinent answer ... or that you found out something more and an older bios work better ... but I noticed that you were using the 4428 version clover .... and then the answer was obvious ...

I just completed my hackintosh install and everything seemed to go pretty smooth...

The only problem I notice is that only half my RAM is recognized (the same as in your original post). You noted that it is no longer an issue but it seems to be affecting me still for some reason.

Make sure you have the most recent bios update.

Hi Chef,

I came along this topic for optimizing GPU power management with discrete videocards. Before this to be working right CPU power management needs to be working right as linked to this topic.

I have 8700K with nVidia 1080Ti and want to be sure the Ti runs efficient. As Toleda stated very clear one of the problems of Nvidia nowadays is that its not natively supported to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext So I started to verify my system (based on your build) and found a few differences.

1) There is no iMac18,3\AppleACPIPlatformExpert\CPU0@0 but there is iMac18,3\AppleACPIPlatformExpert\PR0@0
2) I have no iGPU p-states
3) The PCI list is not populated in the System Information

Is it maybe true that the whole shitty Nvidia experiences we encounter with 10xx cards have to do with these two topics explained by Toleda? Did you create your "clover pack" with these guides in mind?

Hi Chef,A

I came along this topic for optimizing GPU power management with discrete videocards. Before this to be working right CPU power management needs to be working right as linked to this topic.

I have 8700K with nVidia 1080Ti and want to be sure the Ti runs efficient. As Toleda stated very clear one of the problems of Nvidia nowadays is that its not natively supported to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext So I started to verify my system (based on your build) and found a few differences.

1) There is no iMac18,3\AppleACPIPlatformExpert\CPU0@0 but there is iMac18,3\AppleACPIPlatformExpert\PR0@0
2) I have no iGPU p-states
3) The PCI list is not populated in the System Information

Is it maybe true that the whole shitty Nvidia experiences we encounter with 10xx cards have to do with these two topics explained by Toleda? Did you create your "clover pack" with these guides in mind?

1. I believe the important thing is that X86PlatformPlugin is loaded, not whether your CPU is identified as CPU0 or PR0. You will have to check with toleda to confirm. I can tell you that the CPU is also identified as PR0 on my end and X86PlatformPlugin is loaded. Also, power management, Speedstep, sleep/wake are all working fine here.
  2. I don't see IGPU p-states either. Again, I don't know if that matters when IGPU is headless. In the optimizing GPU power management guide, I didn't see any mention of IGPU p-states. You will have to ask toleda if it matters.
  3. PCI section of System Information is blank on real iMacs. It is blank on most hackintoshes using iMac system definition. It can be populated by using DSDT or SSDTs. Most people never bother doing this. I had been testing SSDTs to populate this section of System Information with the help of Pavo recently and can't say that having this populated makes any difference in the way macOS performs. In the optimizing GPU power management guide, I didn't see this as being a requirement.

In the optimizing GPU power management, the section II, #5, this is the section to confirm working ApplePowerManagement.kext, I have:

II., #5, #1 IOReg/AGPMController:
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.41.53 AM.png
II. #5, #2 IOReg/AGPM/AMD/Heuristic-ID: ff ff ff ff:
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 5.45.25 AM.png
II. #5, #3 IOReg/AGPM/Nvidia/Heuristic-ID: 4:
Does not apply to me. I don't have Nvidia.

II. #5, #4 Verify Heuristic ID:
Confirmed. See above.

So in other words, for you the use of ssdt and the implementation of various components by this method is just pure cosmetic? ... interesting approach ...same the answer about SMBIOS ... :)

Trying to populate the PCI section of System Information is strictly cosmetic. Performance and stability did not change in any way as far as I could tell.

The SSDTs also seem extremely specific to devices installed and motherboard. For example, in order to make a device appear, you have to specify what's in each slot using the SSDTs. In my case, it was necessary to tell it that slot3 had a network card, slot 4 had a USB card, etc. Also, swapping PCI-e cards would most likely require redoing at least one of the SSDTs.

SMBIOS is a little different. I know that SMBIOS choice is important because when I still had my HP 8300, I tried a few system definitions and choosing the wrong one broke Speedstep. I had to choose a system definition that matched the same generation of CPU for Speedstep to work right. Therefore, SMBIOS is NOT just cosmetic and correct choice IS important.

I'm still using the kext @eliyu provided in post #2425. My fan ramps up and down fine.

I think the fact that your Vega 56 is not a reference design may be the problem. Fan speeds should be controlled by the video card's firmware.
is this kext with a slight overclock?

Back