Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Are you making any experiments with what they're proposing and your card? Does it work for you? I'm asking, because I'm on the verge of selling my Vega (I've a buyer already) and I could keep it around for few more days if you'd have something reliable to test, but can't hold onto it forever. I also can't hold the borrowed RX 580 I'm using now, so I have to buy some card as soon as possible, and ideally I'd like to have all the possible compatibility and performance - the reason I went for Vega 56 in first place...

I tried a few times but the alternate VBIOS didn't seem to load. I don't have time to continue testing right now and will have to try again in the evening.

With it added, my own http://browserbench.org/MotionMark scores are ~30% down.

While waiting for 'nuff money to rain down from the sky to acquire a Vega 56, I tried the new NvidiaGraphicsFixup with my 970. I can go all but Torvalds on Nvidia.

Now the UI is, arguably, indeed smoother, BUT my CUDA performance is down to ~ 5% (one twentieth!!) of what I had before.

So well, a smoother UI is worth something, but that's not how I imagined it'd go. This is definitely weird, and far from a real solution I'm afraid.

While waiting for 'nuff money to rain down from the sky to acquire a Vega 56, I tried the new NvidiaGraphicsFixup with my 970. I can go all but Torvalds on Nvidia.

Now the UI is, arguably, indeed smoother, BUT my CUDA performance is down to ~ 5% (one twentieth!!) of what I had before.

So well, a smoother UI is worth something, but that's not how I imagined it'd go. This is definitely weird, and far from a real solution I'm afraid.

The changelog was unclear what it actually does to workaround the UI lag... I'm curious what is really being done.

Also, keep in mind that he calls it a workaround and not a fix.

so I think I will do a clean install again , either that or I need to learn how to get into my system and do some serious tweeking . cause my wifi card bugs out after the sleep mode and also the latest update wont update again .

Reading this thread since a few weeks, thanks a lot for all the infos Pastrychef !
My build is the following : Asus Z370 Prime A - 8700k - 32 GB RAM 2666 MHz - Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Nitro+ (careful it's not the limited edition here only 2 x 8 pin connector - Ref 11276-01) - Samsung 960 EVO - PCI Card BCM943602CS (Wifi/Bluetooth).
All is working 100%, like my MacBook Pro !
Apart :
1/ the bad speed in APSF for NVMe SSD
2/ sometimes the fans of the 56 are loud (well, on the sapphire, loud is not really loud)... just put a video on youtube and all goes well after that.
3/ need to map my USB port... next step but I'm too lazy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading this thread since a few weeks, thanks a lot for all the infos Pastrychef !
My build is the following : Asus Z370 Prime A - 8700k - 32 GB RAM 2666 MHz - Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Nitro+ (careful it's not the limited edition here only 2 x 8 pin connector - Ref 11276-01) - Samsung 960 EVO - PCI Card BCM943602CS (Wifi/Bluetooth).
All is working 100%, like my MacBook Pro !
Apart :
1/ the bad speed in APSF for NVMe SSD
2/ sometimes the fans of the 56 are loud (well, on the sapphire, loud is not really loud)... just put a video on youtube and all goes well after that.
3/ need to map my USB port... next step but I'm too lazy ;)

You can try disabling Trim to see if it helps your NVMe SSD speeds.

@pastrychef Have you had any more luck in trying the Clover VBIOS patching?

Back