Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Oops. I mistyped. I meant that your problems were caused by the Sapphire Vega 56. Was it a reference model or a model with custom cooler?
No idea if there is a such thing as 'reference model' sold by Sapphire under Pulse brand. Mine is exactly this: https://goo.gl/images/jqHuLu and it's the only Vega 56 Pulse model being sold by Sapphire. Anything else I was able to find was a Vega 56 Nitro+, but these were said not to be supported by Apple in 10.13.4 and indeed they're not listed in the release notes. The question now is: what am I supposed to do? Is there any way I could get the framebuffer fixed, patched, whatever, to get rid of that mouse stutter? Any way to get rid of the fan noise?

@pastrychef I just discovered, that I can reliably crash the machine by using Migration Assistant to recover my user settings and files from the NAS - it panics when doing calculations of how much data it will recover, after choosing the drive from available in backups. Already did it twice in a row.

No idea if there is a such thing as 'reference model' sold by Sapphire under Pulse brand. Mine is exactly this: https://goo.gl/images/jqHuLu and it's the only Vega 56 Pulse model being sold by Sapphire. Anything else I was able to find was a Vega 56 Nitro+, but these were said not to be supported by Apple in 10.13.4 and indeed they're not listed in the release notes. The question now is: what am I supposed to do? Is there any way I could get the framebuffer fixed, patched, whatever, to get rid of that mouse stutter? Any way to get rid of the fan noise?

You can try the SSDT-Vega56-FBName-Kamarang.aml from shathenine. I know you tried the Iriri version and it didn't work for you but maybe Kamarang will be better.

@pastrychef I just discovered, that I can reliably crash the machine by using Migration Assistant to recover my user settings and files from the NAS - it panics when doing calculations of how much data it will recover, after choosing the drive from available in backups. Already did it twice in a row.

I've never tried recovering from Migration Assistant. I'll try to find a bit of time this week to see if I can reproduce it.

Forum member @zappy39 has posted a compiled version 1.2.5 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. This version incorporates a workaround to "the lag" that many are experiencing. Changelog says boot-argument "ngfxsubmit=0" must be added.

Edit:
Apparently, the "ngfxsubmit=0" disables the workaround and slows down performance.

Attachments

• 1.2.5-rel-m1.zip
    82 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Forum member @zappy39 has posted a compiled version 1.2.5 of NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. This version incorporates a workaround to "the lag" that many are experiencing. Changelog says boot-argument "ngfxsubmit=0" must be added.
Would you be so kind and describe a procedure that would be needed in order to switch from AMD to Nvidia to try it out? I can borrow a Nvidia 980 for a test and I'd love to know if that would be a better solution than overpriced, loud and buggy Vega 56 and silent but slow and overpriced RX 580?

Would you be so kind and describe a procedure that would be needed in order to switch from AMD to Nvidia to try it out? I can borrow a Nvidia 980 for a test and I'd love to know if that would be a better solution than overpriced, loud and buggy Vega 56 and silent but slow and overpriced RX 580?

The easiest thing would be to use the EFI folder for Nvidia in post #1. Just copy your Serial, UUID, etc on to the config.plist.

Alternately, I'm reading about how to use Clover to inject different VBIOS to video cards. This could potentially help you get your Vega 56 working right. See postings here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-rx-560-on-10-13-4-macos-high-sierra.249235/page-4

The easiest thing would be to use the EFI folder for Nvidia in post #1. Just copy your Serial, UUID, etc on to the config.plist.

Alternately, I'm reading about how to use Clover to inject different VBIOS to video cards. This could potentially help you get your Vega 56 working right. See postings here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-rx-560-on-10-13-4-macos-high-sierra.249235/page-4
Unfortunately, I don't know how to perform the things they're talking about, so my only choice seems to be testing with the borrowed 980 and selling the Vega card as I have no use for it they way it (doesn't) work with macOS.

When you were able to boot up using your USB flash drive, you should have copied the working EFI folder from that USB flash drive to your main system drive.

If you are using your RX 560, you don't need nv_disable=1 or Load VBios. You do need RadeonDeInit if you are using macOS 10.13.3 or older. If you are on macOS 10.13.4, RadeonDeInit can be disabled.

1. When you turn on your computer, go to the boot menu and select your USB flash drive.
  2. Once you get to the Clover boot menu, select your main system drive.
  3. When you get to the macOS desktop, copy the EFI folder from your USB flash drive to your main system drive.

Yeah, I made a dumb mistake. I think those are the exact steps that I used to boot into macOS the last time it booted. I will try these steps again and definitely copy the folder this time. Thanks so much for your help in trying to fix this issue!!!

Are you making any experiments with what they're proposing and your card? Does it work for you? I'm asking, because I'm on the verge of selling my Vega (I've a buyer already) and I could keep it around for few more days if you'd have something reliable to test, but can't hold onto it forever. I also can't hold the borrowed RX 580 I'm using now, so I have to buy some card as soon as possible, and ideally I'd like to have all the possible compatibility and performance - the reason I went for Vega 56 in first place...

Back