Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thank you! Do you know if the Z370-I motherboard would work? (minus the pci-e slot for wifi..)

Yes, I think you can install and run macOS on the Z370-I fine. It comes with an M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card so you can use that for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth if you swap in a compatible card.

I don't know what that kernel panic means. But you can try installing with just one stick of RAM. This should eliminate the possibility that RAM is preventing you from completing the install.
Hmm, well, I tried with a single stick. If the single stick is in slots 0 or 1 (A1, B1?) then it hangs at the initial screen with a series of ++++++++++++. If it's in 2 or 3, then I get the kernel trap very early into boot, with different error codes depending on which slot the stick is in.

I notice someone raised the issue of an SSD possibly not working. I'm using a Samsung Pro 960, could that cause any issues?

I've never heard of any particular SATA SSDs not working. Are you installing with your graphics card installed?

So it turns out my audio worked all along. For whatever reason Internal Speakers wasn't selected, so once I made the change in /System Preferences/Sound/Output/Internal Speakers it worked like a charm! As of now, everything seems to be working as it should, the only thing I haven't tried so far is the USB mapping which I will this weekend when my SSD arrives and I replicate the install again.

I have a question though. I took out my SSD from my other build and placed it in my current build that has macOS and I can't seem to be able to boot Win10 from that SSD. Do you think this is related to the mobo settings I changed prior to installing macOS on my HDD? I see the SSD listed in "SATA Information" but it doesn't show up on my boot menu.

Last edited:
It's M.2. Looking online that shouldn't be an issue with High Sierra, though.

Are you installing with your graphics card installed?
Yes ... should I not be? I just tried without the graphics card installed with the same issues. Had a brief moment of hope though - maybe this will fix it! But no.

Here is a screengrab of a video I took of it failing. It fails very early - looks like before ACPI enumeration is done. Sorry my screen refresh rate isn't great so some of the text is unreadable - when my new monitor comes today I'll take another video if it's useful.

fullsizeoutput_10ab.jpeg

From this, I actually notice that I get a lot of 14=page faults before the final failure which doesn't have an error code that makes sense.

Does this look like some issue you've seen before?

Thanks for any help!

So it turns out my audio worked all along. For whatever reason Internal Speakers wasn't selected, so once I made the change in /System Preferences/Sound/Output/Internal Speakers it worked like a charm! As of now, everything seems to be working as it should, the only thing I haven't tried so far is the USB mapping which I will this weekend when my SSD arrives and I replicate the install again.

I have a question though. I took out my SSD from my other build and placed it in my current build that has macOS and I can't seem to be able to boot Win10 from that SSD. Do you think this is related to the mobo settings I changed prior to installing macOS on my HDD? I see the SSD listed in "SATA Information" but it doesn't show up on my boot menu.

You don't have to do any mapping. I've done it for this motherboard already. You just have to install the .aml file in to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and select which ports you want to disable. Then enter those ports in to your config.plist.

This is how mine looks:
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.37.03 PM.png

Make sure your Windows 10 is set up for UEFI boot and not Legacy.

It's M.2. Looking online that shouldn't be an issue with High Sierra, though.

Yes ... should I not be? I just tried without the graphics card installed with the same issues. Had a brief moment of hope though - maybe this will fix it! But no.

Here is a screengrab of a video I took of it failing. It fails very early - looks like before ACPI enumeration is done. Sorry my screen refresh rate isn't great so some of the text is unreadable - when my new monitor comes today I'll take another video if it's useful.

View attachment 302522

From this, I actually notice that I get a lot of 14=page faults before the final failure which doesn't have an error code that makes sense.

Does this look like some issue you've seen before?

Thanks for any help!

Yeah, I suspect your RAM may be at fault. Do you have access to another set of RAM to try?

I did a search for "Month 13 is out of bounds" and, apparently, it's a bug with macOS. Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next release.

At 35C, the system is idle with CPU at about 800MHz. Keep in mind that my CPU has been delidded.

Hi pastrychef. Is your temp in Windows lower than in macOS? In Windows, my CPU is pinned to 5 GHz at idle (not 800 MHz as in macOS via power management) but runs cooler. I wonder whether macOS has greater overhead than Windows. Thoughts?

I haven't spent more than 5 minutes in Windows since I got this system up and running so I really don't know.

Yes, I think you can install and run macOS on the Z370-I fine. It comes with an M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card so you can use that for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth if you swap in a compatible card.
Thank you! Do you know if the Z370-I motherboard would work? (minus the pci-e slot for wifi..)

I can confirm the Asus Z370-I works with this guide. Just finished a build using it and everything seems to be OK. I'm using a USB Wifi Adapter though. Make sure to update your BIOS, the one preinstalled has some performance issues.

Last edited:
Back