Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If one of the pins on the header are not connected correctly, it's possible for USB 3 to work and USB 2 fail.
I see. Haven‘t opened the case and worked on the motherboard for years.
But some things get broken over time. Maybe that‘s the case here. I mean.... I bought the components back in 2016.... that‘s 4 years ago!

I see. Haven‘t opened the case and worked on the motherboard for years.
But some things get broken over time. Maybe that‘s the case here. I mean.... I bought the components back in 2016.... that‘s 4 years ago!

Try booting to a live bistro of Linux and see if the port works.

Perhaps I missed it - any expected issues with 10.15.5? On 3 real Macbook Pros it's fine, naturally....

Perhaps I missed it - any expected issues with 10.15.5? On 3 real Macbook Pros it's fine, naturally....

I just got home... Will update and report back...

macOS 10.15.5 Catalina updated fine. Took ~20 minutes and 2 restarts...

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.22.08 PM.png

Try booting to a live bistro of Linux and see if the port works.
Hi pastrychef,

d/l a MXlinux.iso
Do I need to change something in the Bios to boot from it? Are there some issues when I fire up Linux towards my internal Mac drives? Remembered some posts about Win installation corrupts the Mac part...

thx for your help.
M.

Hi pastrychef,

d/l a MXlinux.iso
Do I need to change something in the Bios to boot from it? Are there some issues when I fire up Linux towards my internal Mac drives? Remembered some posts about Win installation corrupts the Mac part...

thx for your help.
M.

The only thing that I can think of that may need changing is enabling legacy boot.

If you are not installing Linux, it shouldn't mess with your drives.

@pastrychef
@Stork

I want to thank you for all your efforts and time and help in this matter, but sadly I must inform you, that THIS port is broken. Even in Linux, an USB2 device is NOT recognized....:thumbdown

welcome to the wonderful world of 14 ports....:lol:

I mean, I‘m complaining on a very high level here: „Oh man, USB3 is working and on ONE port, I cannot use an USB2 device!“

again, thx for your help and stay safe
Best
M.

PS. @Stork
Here goes my „golden“ build description... :wave:

Back