Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

91044A16-A836-4604-BE70-0CA0877A75DE.jpeg

Whats the problem here?

I have Windows on one SSD and Mac OS on another one.

Windows can not boot through OpenCore. Only through direct boot (choosing the windows SSD in BIOS)
MacOS boots fine.

Its the Beta 5 OC.

View attachment 443662

Whats the problem here?

I have Windows on one SSD and Mac OS on another one.

Windows can not boot through OpenCore. Only through direct boot (choosing the windows SSD in BIOS)
MacOS boots fine.

Its the Beta 5 OC.

Hmm... I don't know what's the cause. I usually boot non-Mac operating systems from the BIOS boot menu and only use Clover/OpenCore to boot macOS.

Was your Windows installed via UEFI install method?

What app is HEVC not working?
Do you have IGPU enabled or disabled?
What kexts are you using?
How do you have config.plist configured?
Hi thanks for your reply!

HEVC is not working in Final Cut Pro, handbrake, VideoProc. Each app I tested.
I made it work by adding the good old dummy141.kext.
iGPU is not present in the i5 9400F. so iGPU is disabled. That's why I use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
Videocard is a RX 580 8GB.

Kext used are:
- AppleALC
- Lilu
- FakeSMC
- IntelMausi
- USBInjectAll
- WhateverGreen

As I said adding dummy141.kext solved the issue using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
Since Mojave 10.14.4 or maybe 10.14.6 it wasn't necessary anymore but I guess Catalina requires it.

Hi thanks for your reply!

HEVC is not working in Final Cut Pro, handbrake, VideoProc. Each app I tested.
I made it work by adding the good old dummy141.kext.
iGPU is not present in the i5 9400F. so iGPU is disabled. That's why I use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
Videocard is a RX 580 8GB.

Kext used are:
- AppleALC
- Lilu
- FakeSMC
- IntelMausi
- USBInjectAll
- WhateverGreen

As I said adding dummy141.kext solved the issue using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
Since Mojave 10.14.4 or maybe 10.14.6 it wasn't necessary anymore but I guess Catalina requires it.

Hmm... I saw a similar behavior with my Skylake box with my RX 560. I also needed to use a "dummy" kext (albeit a different version from the one you're using) to get HEVC working. Even so, the dummy kext only works with certain versions of WhateverGreen, so be careful if/when you update WhateverGreen.

My guess is that something changed in Catalina drivers for the older Baffin and Polaris cards because neither my Vega 56 or Radoen VII has had any issues.

BTW, I also use an i5-9400KF in the box which contains my Vega 56.

Hmm... I saw a similar behavior with my Skylake box with my RX 560. I also needed to use a "dummy" kext (albeit a different version from the one you're using) to get HEVC working. Even so, the dummy kext only works with certain versions of WhateverGreen, so be careful if/when you update WhateverGreen.

My guess is that something changed in Catalina drivers for the older Baffin and Polaris cards because neither my Vega 56 or Radoen VII has had any issues.

Btw, I also use an i5-9400KF in the box which contains my Vega 56.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Especially to check WhateverGreen compatibility with the dummy kext.

Can you recommend please a manual for installing macOS High Sierra on a PC when you have Win10 already installed and using it as a primary?

Can you recommend please a manual for installing macOS High Sierra on a PC when you have Win10 already installed and using it as a primary?

Having Windows already installed is not an issue.

You need to decide if you want to install macOS on a separate drive or on the same drive that contains Windows (I highly suggest avoiding this).

If you will be installing macOS on a separate drive, just follow one of the guides for installing macOS. Installing macOS will not mess with your existing Windows drive. If you want to be extra safe, you can disconnect the Windows drive until you are finished installing macOS.

Since you are using an Asus Z370-I, my Clover EFI folders should work for you with little to no changes.

@pastrychef thank you! I will try your manual. I want to install it on external HDD usb 3.0 first and after 3 weeks I am going to reinstall it on separate SSD (just waiting for it). I need it right now just to check some audio interface compatibility in Logic X Pro.
Regarding internet, will USB modem from a smartphone work?

Regarding internet, will USB modem from a smartphone work?

I've never tried this, but, assuming, it works on a real Mac, there should not be any issues with a hackintosh either.

If your phone has tethering capabilities, it's probably easier to just do it that way.

@pastrychef Yes it has tethering capabilities but I did't buy wi-fi module, I have only built-it wi-fi.
Not sure which wi-fi module to buy since my case is mini-itx and its height is 65mm.

Back