Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

589dec47efca5cb85c82dec347e10d05.jpg

@pastrychef, Could please have look at my EFI. I did all sorts and finally got Catalina installed with a RX 5700 XT. It is a clean install but I used all sorts from different EFI and instructions. I notice you have an ASUS motherboard, and I am actually upgraging my i5-8400 to an i9-900K on my ASUS Prime ZZ370 aii.... with your experience, any advice will be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 69
pastrychef...could please have look at my efi...i did all sorts and finally got catalina installed with a RX5700 xt....it is a clean install but i used all sorts from different efi and instructions...i notice u have an asus motherboard and i am actually upgraging my i5 8400 to an i9 900k on my asus prime z370 aii.... with ur experince, any advice will be appreciated thanks

As per forum rules, please update your profile to include your CPU, motherboard, and GPU. It makes it much easier for others to help you.

You can probably use my EFI folders from post #1 for your Z370 Prime...

I made some changes to your EFI, please try booting from it. Remember to make backups of everything.

You should also apply one of the proper USB 15 port limit fixes.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.8 MB · Views: 61
Hi all.

I'm having an issue with hardware acceleration in Catalina 10.15.2.
I have a Gigabyte Z390, i5 9400F, RX 580.
The PC is setup using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. In Mojave this setup works great but in Catalina hardware acceleration for H265 is not present.
I have -disablegfxfirmware boot argument but it doesn't make any difference.

Anyone has an idea why?

Hi all.

I'm having an issue with hardware acceleration in Catalina 10.15.2.
I have a Gigabyte Z390, i5 9400F, RX 580.
The PC is setup using SMBIOS iMacPro1,1. In Mojave this setup works great but in Catalina hardware acceleration for H265 is not present.
I have -disablegfxfirmware boot argument but it doesn't make any difference.

Anyone has an idea why?

What app is HEVC not working?
Do you have IGPU enabled or disabled?
What kexts are you using?
How do you have config.plist configured?

Hi @pastrychef,

I finally give up on NV card and switch to Sapphire RX 580.
Just tried to upgrade from High Serria to Catalina, but got issues.
I've use your newest EFI based on your attachment - also update whatevergreen and lilu to newest from their repo.
Now I can see my mouse but whole UI is broken....

Do you have any suggestions ? I assume this may related to some flag or kext?

Thanks for any suggestion!

IMG_0484.jpg

Hi @pastrychef,

I finally give up on NV card and switch to SAPPHIRE RX 580.
Just tried to upgrade from High Serrir to Catalina but got issues.
I've use your newest EFI based on your attachment - also update whatevergreen and lilu to newest from their repo.
Now I can see my mouse but whole UI is broken....

Do you have any suggestions ? I assume this may related to some flag or kext?

Thanks for any suggestion!

View attachment 443642

Please post your EFI.

wow!!!....I am drooling....just an update for the boss and those interested... with the EFI folder you gave me..I was still experiencing the black screen during installation but I noticed you changed the SMBIOS..I should have mentioned but I tried all sorts and it was only the Mac mini option that booted and installed properly...weirdly...the problem is still there but that I can live by...anyway...following ur instructions..I downloaded hacking tool from here and reduced my port with the instructions from the tutorials from ur thread...meanwhile I apologize to those reading for not providing links and tutorials I followed...as I was typing or saying...I saved the files generated and viola to my shock..my i9-9900K arrived...so straight away..popped in the i9..reset my BIOS according to urs from page one..with some side tuning because of the i9...I download your EFI Unified for Catalina from page 1...replaced the patched folder with mine...and changed the SMBIOS to Mac mini as mentioned above...deleted whatevergreen kext...apparently this is not needed or does not work with RX5700xt.....I also deleted sata 200-series and USBInjetAll all kexts...and boom! Sweet and fast install......the buzz was the sleep...I left it to sleep to see if the sleep problem was still there..first..it was a proper SHUTDOWN sleep...as in the computer was off and my power light was blinking...it was never like this b4 so I knew there was progress...I touched my keyboard..and the joy can't be explained..the computer booted with ease and in a split sec I was back to my screen...fleeping amazing!!!!....your EFI folder did the magic..thats all I can say..THANK YOU FOR SHARING..you deserve my thank you..I still can't get Audio from the port from the motherboard..but I use a AOC monitor which has an audio jack and the sound works well!...I have no problem setting the system up as a Mac mini so I am very sweet as I am...any further assignments..lol.. u think I can do to solidify this machine more I'll always appreciate...I just ordered the Assassin iii air cooler..to keep it sweet and calm...the temperature initially was shooting up with the NXZT I am using..I presume it was due to the initial set up in the bios..it seems to be calm now playing BTW 42-47 degrees when idle...and I've maxed out the board ram wise..still a novice but ur footsteps guided me well...I just had to update you.

wow!!!....I am drooling....just an update for the boss and those interested... with the EFI folder you gave me..I was still experiencing the black screen during installation but I noticed you changed the SMBIOS..I should have mentioned but I tried all sorts and it was only the Mac mini option that booted and installed properly...weirdly...the problem is still there but that I can live by...anyway...following ur instructions..I downloaded hacking tool from here and reduced my port with the instructions from the tutorials from ur thread...meanwhile I apologize to those reading for not providing links and tutorials I followed...as I was typing or saying...I saved the files generated and viola to my shock..my i9-9900K arrived...so straight away..popped in the i9..reset my BIOS according to urs from page one..with some side tuning because of the i9...I download your EFI Unified for Catalina from page 1...replaced the patched folder with mine...and changed the SMBIOS to Mac mini as mentioned above...deleted whatevergreen kext...apparently this is not needed or does not work with RX5700xt.....I also deleted sata 200-series and USBInjetAll all kexts...and boom! Sweet and fast install......the buzz was the sleep...I left it to sleep to see if the sleep problem was still there..first..it was a proper SHUTDOWN sleep...as in the computer was off and my power light was blinking...it was never like this b4 so I knew there was progress...I touched my keyboard..and the joy can't be explained..the computer booted with ease and in a split sec I was back to my screen...fleeping amazing!!!!....your EFI folder did the magic..thats all I can say..THANK YOU FOR SHARING..you deserve my thank you..I still can't get Audio from the port from the motherboard..but I use a AOC monitor which has an audio jack and the sound works well!...I have no problem setting the system up as a Mac mini so I am very sweet as I am...any further assignments..lol.. u think I can do to solidify this machine more I'll always appreciate...I just ordered the Assassin iii air cooler..to keep it sweet and calm...the temperature initially was shooting up with the NXZT I am using..I presume it was due to the initial set up in the bios..it seems to be calm now playing BTW 42-47 degrees when idle...and I've maxed out the board ram wise..still a novice but ur footsteps guided me well...I just had to update you.

@xelanaiznac found that some system definitions can affect 5700 XT. Apparently, it's due to the generated BIOS and/or firmware.

To get the audio out working on back of the motherboard, you should be selecting System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers.

Back