Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I have updated all of my EFI folders. Please see post #1, Update #4, for list of changes.

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) - i7-8700K - GTX 1080 build
View attachment 298038

Looking at your new config, I see that there is no mention of the kexts to patch for sound. What happened to them?
Thanks.

BTW, I think its really great the way you are always available to help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your new config, I see that there is no mention of the kexts to patch for sound. What happened to them?
Thanks.

BTW, I think its really great the way you are always available to help. I really appreciate it!

I tested and the audio KextsToPatch were not needed so I removed them. Just AppleALC.kext, Inject 1, and CodecCommander.kext are enough for audio to work reliably.

Glad I can help! It's nice to be appreciated! Thanks! :thumbup:

I tested and the audio KextsToPatch were not needed so I removed them. Just AppleALC.kext, Inject 1, and CodecCommander.kext are enough for audio to work reliably.

Glad I can help! It's nice to be appreciated! Thanks! :thumbup:
You're welcome!

2 questions..

What version of bios are you running? Is 0606 safe?
Not really a question, but I added the kext for trim enabler but when I run Trim Enabler, it tells me that trim is not running.

You're welcome!

2 questions..

What version of bios are you running? Is 0606 safe?
Not really a question, but I added the kext for trim enabler but when I run Trim Enabler, it tells me that trim is not running.

Yes, I have been running 0606 since it was released. No problems with it at all.

There was a time when Trim Enabler did some weird things to enable Trim and it caused some problems when updating OS X. After reading about it, I stayed away from it. I don't know if they still use the same method to enable Trim or how it checks if Trim is enabled.

I just use System Information (formerly known as System Profiler). Click on SATA/SATA Express on the left pane, then click on your SSD. It will tell you if Trim is enabled or not.

if he's seeing 50C in BIOS, where the CPU is as idle as it is possible, then I'd say its a very bad sign, given the CPU gets way hotter when under operational load.

What _should_ high operational load look like?

I have had to move back from 5.0 to 4.7 in my overclock - when I would run Handbrake doing a H265 convert for more than 5 minutes or so the system would reset.

This is with a CoolerMaster Masterliquid Lite 240 liquid cooler. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NNM4BP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) . I'm very surprised - this is my first liquid cooler, and I'm not too impressed so far. It makes some noise, and I don't see the benefit - I idle around 33-37C and when the encodes are running it hits 4.7 on all cores, 137W in Intel Power Gadget, and 90C. That's hot.... at 5.0 overclock, it would hit 95C and then, eventually, reboot.

Setup is so basic I'm not sure what could go wrong - it's in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX case, 240mm fans/radiator at the top of the case. Are there other settings I should be checking?

What should my expectations be around a liquid cooler? Any tips or tricks?

What _should_ high operational load look like?

I have had to move back from 5.0 to 4.7 in my overclock - when I would run Handbrake doing a H265 convert for more than 5 minutes or so the system would reset.

This is with a CoolerMaster Masterliquid Lite 240 liquid cooler. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NNM4BP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20) . I'm very surprised - this is my first liquid cooler, and I'm not too impressed so far. It makes some noise, and I don't see the benefit - I idle around 33-37C and when the encodes are running it hits 4.7 on all cores, 137W in Intel Power Gadget, and 90C. That's hot.... at 5.0 overclock, it would hit 95C and then, eventually, reboot.

Setup is so basic I'm not sure what could go wrong - it's in a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX case, 240mm fans/radiator at the top of the case. Are there other settings I should be checking?

What should my expectations be around a liquid cooler? Any tips or tricks?

Wow! 95C is way way too hot!! I think that you would have to delid the CPU to run 5GHz reliably.

My CPU is not very good. It requires 1.370v to run 5GHz reliably but even at that voltage, it has never hit 80C. This because of delidding and the Noctua heatsink. I have queued a few videos up in Handbrake and had it run overnight without problems.

The water cooling should address that, and even at 4.7, it's using too many watts (137W for a 95W CPU!?) -- something's wrong. :(

The water cooling should address that, and even at 4.7, it's using too many watts (137W for a 95W CPU!?) -- something's wrong. :(

I don't have Intel Power Gadget installed. I didn't know it gave a wattage reading. I'd just been using a Kill-A-Watt clone to measure from the outlet. But I think the 95W rating is too conservative. It seems much more power hungry than my old Kaby Lake CPU. But that CPU was an extremely good sample that overclocked like crazy with low voltage.

Why do you think my energy saver panel is different from yours?
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.15.06 PM.png

Back