Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

No @pastrychef, I'm not - I'll check it out.

I've been through the FAQ and lots of forum topics, but I don't follow how others are arriving at the value that they set. I'm happy to review the source code, but I don't think that will be the shortest path to doing things properly.

@vit9696 any guidance?

I'm pretty sure there are more settings, but these are the ones I'm aware of:

1 = enable Intel online video decoder
4 = AppleGVA patch to make Nvidia compatible
8 = temporary process whitelist for 10.13 SKL/KBL & Nvidia
16 = iTunes fix
32 = override Mac model in AppleGVA

I think all the Asus Z170, Z270, and Z370 motherboards (that have USB3.1 gen 2) use Asmedia chipsets for USB3.1 gen 2. macOS has native support for these Asmedia chipsets.
On the guide it says to use GenericUSBXHCI.kext, did u use this? I can’t get my ports discovered so I can’t make a SSDT.. none of my SS ports are being shown atm.. trying to track down why, bios? I can’t find the solution

On the guide it says to use GenericUSBXHCI.kext, did u use this? I can’t get my ports discovered so I can’t make a SSDT.. none of my SS ports are being shown atm.. trying to track down why, bios? I can’t find the solution

Which guide suggested using GenericUSBXHCI.kext??? In my experience, it does not work well with Skylake or newer.

Hi @pastrychef

I'm sorry to bother you again with question but I have been trying to get Nvidia drivers working on my build for 3 days and I dont know where else to turn to.

I was able to get them working in 10.13.3 with native Nvram but they were lagging my system. So I reinstalled 10.13.0 and then installed the 10.13.2 combo update because it seemed Nvidia drivers for that version of OS X were OK. So I install the drivers but the settings don't save. I install the latest version of Clover to make sure the EmuVariableUefi-64 file is installed. If just check only EmuVariableUefi-64, the boot up progress bar stops half way and the spinning gear overlaps its self. If I leave the default settings and install EmuVariableUefi-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 and OsxAptioFixDrv-64 i get a black screen at 75% of the boot up progress bar. If I installed the Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in my System/Library/Extensions folder uisng KextBest i get the black screen still.

If i use your EFI folder untouched i get a black screen. I have tried it with my device set to iMac14,2 and MacPro 5,1.

Also I am not sure when I need to move the EFI folder from the USB partition to the local hard drive. I suspect i need to do that at some point because I noticed when running the clover update, it installs the updated kexts into the hard drive EFI partition even thought I am still booting of the thumb drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before it give up.

Thanks

Hi @pastrychef

I'm sorry to bother you again with question but I have been trying to get Nvidia drivers working on my build for 3 days and I dont know where else to turn to.

I was able to get them working in 10.13.3 with native Nvram but they were lagging my system. So I reinstalled 10.13.0 and then installed the 10.13.2 combo update because it seemed Nvidia drivers for that version of OS X were OK. So I install the drivers but the settings don't save. I install the latest version of Clover to make sure the EmuVariableUefi-64 file is installed. If just check only EmuVariableUefi-64, the boot up progress bar stops half way and the spinning gear overlaps its self. If I leave the default settings and install EmuVariableUefi-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-64 and OsxAptioFixDrv-64 i get a black screen at 75% of the boot up progress bar. If I installed the Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in my System/Library/Extensions folder uisng KextBest i get the black screen still.

If i use your EFI folder untouched i get a black screen. I have tried it with my device set to iMac14,2 and MacPro 5,1.

Also I am not sure when I need to move the EFI folder from the USB partition to the local hard drive. I suspect i need to do that at some point because I noticed when running the clover update, it installs the updated kexts into the hard drive EFI partition even thought I am still booting of the thumb drive.

Thanks

In the docs there are clear directions to copy the EFI folder immediately after installing MacOS from the USB drive to the hard drive. It's hard to miss. Do a find for EFI on the first post and you'll see it.

Do that, then do all subsequent stuff after you reboot from the hard drive & EFI folder on the hard drive; keep the USB drive as backup and don't make frequent changes to it - it's a backup method of booting.

If I were you I'd start over; sounds like you have too many things changed on that USB boot drive already (that's bad... keep just what p-k gave you, don't add stuff - the USB drive is _supposed_ to be a generic, basic booter).

Ensure your BIOS settings are all correct. I see you're using a different board; it should be OK, but realize minor differences can creep in. Update your BIOS to the latest.

I'm not sure why people think native NRAM is important; I'm just using the default install without native NVRAM and don't feel a need to send Apple bug reports from what's not even a Mac...

Hello @pastrychef ! can you help the beginner? I installed everything as you described, but I did not start the hard drive on SATA and can not configure the SSDT-USB.aml itself for the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING ATX board, you could not help to correct the file from the Strix Z370 USB ports.aml for the card ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H ? thank you very much !

Hi @pastrychef

Thanks

I'm confused. Are you doing a clean install using my directions and EFI folder? No one else has reported problems with getting the Nvidia web drivers working using the directions in post #1.

If you are not using my directions, asking what is wrong in the Graphics sub-forum will probably yield more help because I have never experienced what you are experiencing.

If you still have your 10.13.3 installation, you can just downgrade the Nvidia web drivers and save yourself from having to reinstall everything. I haven't done a clean install in over a decade on my main system drive.

I can tell you that you can not have multiple versions of OsxAptioFix. Pick one and use it, don't use more than one. If you choose OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi, don't install EmuVariableUefi-64.efi or the RC scripts.

I don't know who's directions you are following, but I do not install Lilu.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, or any hackintosh kext in to /S/L/E/. I only have CodecCommander in /L/E/.

I would recommend not to mix and match different guides/directions. Different people do things slightly differently and some of them can clash.

Hello @pastrychef ! can you help the beginner? I installed everything as you described, but I did not start the hard drive on SATA and can not configure the SSDT-USB.aml itself for the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING ATX board, you could not help to correct the file from the Strix Z370 USB ports.aml for the card ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H ? thank you very much !

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "did not start the hard drive on SATA".

I can't configure the SSDT-USB.aml without having the motherboard. You have to do it on your own.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "did not start the hard drive on SATA".

I can't configure the SSDT-USB.aml without having the motherboard. You have to do it on your own.

I have a hard drive 3.5 2TB connected via Sata port to the motherboard, and MacOS does not see it ... and another question, and where you can find instructions on how to configure usb ports. I used yours, everything works for me except usb3.1 gen2 type a thanks for answers

I have a hard drive 3.5 2TB connected via Sata port to the motherboard, and MacOS does not see it ... and another question, and where you can find instructions on how to configure usb ports. I used yours, everything works for me except usb3.1 gen2 type a thanks for answers

When you launch Disk Utility, click on View in the menu bar and select "Show All Devices".
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 4.32.55 PM.png

Do not use my SSDT-USB.aml file with your motherboard. Just use the 15 port limit patch until you create your own. For instructions on how to create your own, here are two methods:

[Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext | tonymacx86.com
10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide | tonymacx86.com (scroll down to section 7.2)

Back