Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks for the reply.

I will reread the previous pages again. I read hem over 4-5 times along, with so many others. The burnout and information overload may be affecting me.

I am following your guide. I scrapped my previous EFI and went with yours. Same I am using the latest update of Clover and the kexts from your folder. I believe the only thing I dropped was your audio and the SSDT. Everything else is the same. Matched your bios as well.

I have tried via DVI-D and HDMI.

In response to your response to #5. If I am understanding you correctly, that means that isn’t an option for me to go back to previous drivers, since the first driver installation was .157. Thus, the only option would be to port back over my 10.3.0 SSD and install the first available driver for that?

I also read, in another thread, there is a link to a German utility that allows the old drivers to be loaded. I could also explore that route.

If you are using my EFI folder, make sure that you do not have duplicate kexts in /L/E/ or /S/L/E/. If there are duplicates, delete the ones in /L/E/ and/or /S/L/E/.

Also, double check that your BIOS settings are same as mine, pay particular attention to the GPU settings.

If you are still experiencing black screen:
  1. Use your remote connection to get your hackintosh.
  2. Open System Preferences.
  3. Click on Nvidia Driver Manager.
  4. Click on the little lock icon on the lower left corner of that window.
  5. Enter your password.
  6. Click on the Open Uninstaller... button on the lower right corner of that window.
  7. Uninstall the Nvidia web drivers.
  8. Reboot.
You should now at the very least get an image on your monitor.

Now, you can install the Nvidia web drivers again. .156 is the latest version. However, many people are experiencing extreme lags with .156. Those who have the lag have reverted back to using the previous .104 version of the drivers. It's up to you which of these drivers you want to install. If you want to stay safe, install .104. You can find a copy of a modified installer that will allow you to install it on 10.13.3 in this post.

After installing .104, you can use the solution to Problem 5 that you linked to in your previous post.

Remember, .157, .105, and .106 are NOT an upgrades to .156 or .104. .157, .105, and .106 are iMacPro1,1 specific releases. They are NOT meant for other systems.

.156 is the most recent version for our builds. .104 is the previous version for our builds.

Okay! This thing is done! Super stoked on the results it's working so much better than my 4790K Hack and that one is pretty solid too but everything on this one just works. Thanks again @pastrychef for all your trailblazing on this build.

Just a couple of notes, my thermals are pretty close to yours, I ran some tests before I delidded the CPU by blowing up a Cinema 4D scene file and letting it render for about an hour. I like this sort of stress test because it's more real world for what I do. Before the delid and no overclock this 8700K ran hot into the mid 70's. After the delid, thermal grizzly it runs around 75 to 77 at 5.0 GHZ. That's pretty acceptable because nothing else I do stresses the CPU more than all night renders.

This case I have is actually an overclockers nightmare, It just traps too much heat. In fact when I was up to 77 / 78 degrees, I flipped the top off and temps when down almost 5 degrees. but that's how it goes, I'm a sucker for style and it's a super easy case to work with. Anyway, great success and all thanks @pastrychef.

I'm almost tempted to make this my full time workstation, but I also have the new iMac pro which is about the same speed, I can't beat the 5K screen and my work machine needs dedicated support in case something breaks mid project. But this little beast is going to be a great team render companion and I'll use it for particle simulations that take advantage of the Nvidia card where the AMD chip won't cut it.

Hack.jpg

Last edited:
Okay! This thing is done! Super stoked on the results it's working so much better than my 4790K Hack and that one is pretty solid too but everything on this one just works. Thanks again @pastrychef for all your trailblazing on this build.

Just a couple of notes, my thermals are pretty close to yours, I ran some tests before a delidded the PSU by blowing up a Cinema 4D scene file and letting it render for about an hour. I like this sort of stress test because it's more real world for what I do. Before the delid and no overclock this 8700K ran hot into the mid 70's. After the delid, thermal grizzly it runs around 75 to 77 at 5.0 GHZ. That's pretty acceptable because nothing else I do stresses the CPU more than all night renders.

This case I have is actually an overclockers nightmare, It just traps too much heat. In fact when I was up to 77 / 78 degrees, I flipped the top off and temps when down almost 5 degrees. but that's how it goes, I'm a sucker for style and it's a super easy case to work with. Anyway, great success and all thanks @pastrychef.

I'm almost tempted to make this full time workstation, but I also have the new iMac pro which is about the same speed, I can't beat the 5K screen and my work machine needs dedicated support in case something breaks mid project. But this little beast is going to be great team render companion and I'll use it for particle simulations that take advantage of the Nvidia card where the AMD chip won't.

View attachment 310085

Wow. Really nice case. It was one of the ones I considered too.

Your temps sound great. Your CPU is probably better than mine. I didn't do too well in the silicon lottery this time around. Lol Maybe adding a fan in the rear of the case to exhaust heat out will help your temps further.

Gratz on your iMac Pro!! I'd be interested in hearing how this hack performs in comparison to the iMac Pro especially with its overclock.

Well, I’ll be damned!!! The solution was quite painful for me to accept. Under my nose it was, the whole damn time.

I thought to myself well, I should see if the display port works. Sure enough, bam! Main monitor came on at 4K. Plugged up the Ultrawide 1 via HDMI, bam, it came on too. Then I plugged up my small 24” monitor I’ve been using to take around my house to alternate which room I’m working in. Again, bam the 3rd monitor fires up. Now hoping that I can hit my 2nd Ultrawide at 2560x1080 with the DVI. Specs say it should work. I’ll report back.

I can’t quite conceive why this is so, but it is. Wish I had plugged up the display port sooner.

And yeah, that case above is pretty kickin! What’s the make and model?

I am also happy to report that the main display is working at 4K, with both Ultrawides working at 2560x1080. I even added a 4th monitor kicking at at 1920x1080.

I am quite relieved now, and extremely happy!

Somehow I lost WiFi along the route, and maintained Bluetooth. That should be an easy enough fix though.

Also, between my old config and current, somehow my Samsung 960 Pro came up to full speed. Was getting 1800 read/1100 write, now getting 3200+/2200+. Even my cheap-o PNY NVMe also went from 1200/475 to 2300/1400. Not sure how, but I can’t complain.

I am also happy to report that the main display is working at 4K, with both Ultrawides working at 2560x1080. I even added a 4th monitor kicking at at 1920x1080.

I am quite relieved now, and extremely happy!

Somehow I lost WiFi along the route, and maintained Bluetooth. That should be an easy enough fix though.

Also, between my old config and current, somehow my Samsung 960 Pro came up to full speed. Was getting 1800 read/1100 write, now getting 3200+/2200+. Even my cheap-o PNY NVMe also went from 1200/475 to 2300/1400. Not sure how, but I can’t complain.

What kind of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter are you using?

Broadcom bcm94360cs2.

When I got it, I just popped it in and it worked OOB.

I was just looking at it earlier and the WiFi icon on the menubar was grayed out. And it says no WiFi device found. But BT was not affected.

Broadcom bcm94360cs2.

When I got it, I just popped it in and it worked OOB.

I was just looking at it earlier and the WiFi icon on the menubar was grayed out. And it says no WiFi device found. But BT was not affected.

Is your card connected via PCI-e or M.2?

Changing to my EFI folder should not have affected it... You can try resetting all your network interfaces by doing the following:
  1. Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/.
  2. Delete NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist.
  3. Reboot.

Wow. Really nice case. It was one of the ones I considered too.

Your temps sound great. Your CPU is probably better than mine. I didn't do too well in the silicon lottery this time around. Lol Maybe adding a fan in the rear of the case to exhaust heat out will help your temps further.

Gratz on your iMac Pro!! I'd be interested in hearing how this hack performs in comparison to the iMac Pro especially with its overclock.

About the lack of rear exhaust fan, I was having an unacceptable amount of negative pressure with the exhaust fan so I've been experimenting with different configurations. the two exhausts on the top seem to do a pretty good job and the case pressure has neutralized somewhat siding with a tiny bit of negative pressure which I like. I'm going to stick with this set up for the time being.

So yeah, the iMac pro is really cool. I picked one up when Micro Center had them for $3999. You would be hard pressed to do a similar DIY Xeon set up at that price. If you compare the two as far as power goes, then yeah the hack is the most cost effective solution. However with the iMac pro you get the power, that 5K screen and a system which will be nearly crash proof due to the ECC RAM. Unfortunately ECC is a tad bit slower than non buffered ram, some say around 2%.They both have similar multi geek bench scores but the hack kills the iMac on single core. Not sure if it's enough to notice in real world use use though. I think anything over 5K for single core is pretty solid. Of course if I throw a billion polygons into a scene and whip them up into a turbulence field, the hack would probably win out eventually but I never get that crazy.

I'll also say, the iMac and this hack of ours will render a scene at about the same speed but the iMac is dead silent doing it. You can't hear a damn thing. The only issue will be the inedible throttling that we have little control over. The mac fan utility isn't yet working on the iMac Pro but I'e heard they're close to figuring it out. If we can pump the fans up manually then we can probably control the the throttling.. then we'll proabably have to put up with a little noise. ;)

I have just updated to 10.13.3, and as soon as i boot into Macos and try do dowload latest Nvidia drivers, the computer reboots. I just goes out, and restart. If I just leave it on the login window, the same thing happens.
Tried starting in safe move, without nvidia web drivers and everything under the sun, but the same thing happens. Updated clover on my usb to latest, and tried, but same outcome. Any ideas?

Back