Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

To be clear, these are the three methods to get your video card recognized:
  • Use Radeon Deinit in config.plist
  • Use Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext
  • Use a DSDT/SSDT
You can use one of the above methods, not multiple. My understanding is that Radeon Deinit and WhateverGreen.kext do essentially the same thing. The big difference with the DSDT/SSDT method is that it injects a FrameBuffer name. I do not know how this affects how the Vega works/performs.

As I'd previously stated, I thought that the stabilization issue was a driver issue.

You said that iMac Pros with Vegas don't exhibit the timeline scrubbing issues with the same sort of video files, I think that it's safe to assume that your timeline scrubbing issues are not due to a drivers issue. I have not seen anyone else report this issue. So, what remains is configuration.
  • You can try changing SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1 since they ship with Vegas. But I do not know what issues using this system definition will bring since the CPU/chipset you are using is very different. If/when you try this, you should probably disable the IGPU since, as far as I know, the Xeon W CPUs don't have one.
  • You can try keeping the existing system definition and just disabling the IGPU. This will break Quick Sync and probably AirPlay.
  • You can try different shikigva flags. Search around for the different settings available. I am unfamiliar with all the settings.

Thank you for the detailed information.

I only have whatever green (i added now) and the lilu (which came in the efi you provided)

Ah ok, so it was the update to 10.13.3 that fixed the stabilization.

I think i will take this one step at a time:

1 I will try to disable the IGPU
Disabling the IGPU is in the BIOS of the Mother board right?

2 I will try to change the SMBIOS to IMAC pro 1,1.
How do I do this?

Other option is to sell the vega and get an rx580 - If I would do this, would I need to change anything from what you instructed, or would it be a plug and play?

Thank you once again for all your precious help

Thank you for the detailed information.

I only have whatever green (i added now) and the lilu (which came in the efi you provided)

Ah ok, so it was the update to 10.13.3 that fixed the stabilization.

I think i will take this one step at a time:

1 I will try to disable the IGPU
Disabling the IGPU is in the BIOS of the Mother board right?

2 I will try to change the SMBIOS to IMAC pro 1,1.
How do I do this?

Other option is to sell the vega and get an rx580 - If I would do this, would I need to change anything from what you instructed, or would it be a plug and play?

Thank you once again for all your precious help

Yes, disable IGPU in BIOS. Then, open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and go to the Graphics section to uncheck "Inject Intel".
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 6.52.34 AM.png
You can change SMBIOS in Clover Configurator, SMBIOS section. Remember, iMac Pros use a different build of macOS than any other Mac. I don't know how to get the App Store to make this build available.
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 6.53.17 AM.png
You do not need to make any changes in my EFI folder if you want to swap out the Vega for an RX 580. For maximum compatibility, I recommend the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. Search around the internet for information regarding this particular card and Mac compatibility. Some places have been selling new Sapphire RX 580 Pulses with an updated firmware that's a bit less compatible but can be fixed with a little firmware hack.

I updated to macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 without any issues.
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 6.54.46 AM.png

After the update, the Nvidia web driver preference pane told me that there's a new version available but it wouldn't install. I had to manually download the latest drivers and manually install it. The drivers are available at: https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg

Update:
The latest Nvidia web drivers were EXTREMELY laggy for me. I had to revert to the previous version.

Last edited:
Yes, disable IGPU in BIOS. Then, open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and go to the Graphics section to uncheck "Inject Intel".
View attachment 308129
You can change SMBIOS in Clover Configurator, SMBIOS section. Remember, iMac Pros use a different build of macOS than any other Mac. I don't know how to get the App Store to make this build available.
View attachment 308130
You do not need to make any changes in my EFI folder if you want to swap out the Vega for an RX 580. For maximum compatibility, I recommend the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse. Search around the internet for information regarding this particular card and Mac compatibility. Some places have been selling new Sapphire RX 580 Pulses with an updated firmware that's a bit less compatible but can be fixed with a little firmware hack.

Did you ever get your iGPU working?

Did you ever get your iGPU working?

My IGPU has always worked. Never had any issues with it since day 1. Did you read post #1?

View attachment 308129
View attachment 308130

Just a quick noob question.

If I change the smbios to the iMac pro 1,1, and things are not working or something goes wrong, is it easy to revert?

Just a quick noob question.

If I change the smbios to the iMac pro 1,1, and things are not working or something goes wrong, is it easy to revert?

You can change it back the same way... Just use Clover Configurator.

Back