Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

How is the i9-9900K IGPU identified in IORegistryExplorer?

Here's my i7-8700K:
View attachment 366113

Well, it's interesting, but I don't see what you are seeing. In Version 1601 of the bios for my board, I don't have the choice to set a boot graphics card, which I thought I used to have. I only have a setting for multi monitor, which I enabled but it made a mess of things, and I couldn't boot after that, so I turned it off but left the DVMT parameter on (128) and the RC6 render on (auto) as well. Then I could boot to my Nitro+ again.

Sorry, but can't have my system down again. So, I'm backing out of this for now as I've got some stuff to do.

I did run all the tests again, just to be sure, VDADecoderChecker and BruceX and they came out the same.

@corint1 - this is my last time repeating what I said before: my EFI is virtually identical to @pastrychef's post on the first page of this thread. If you want to compare it to yours, look at that. There's no difference.

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 9.32.11 AM.png

Well, it's interesting, but I don't see what you are seeing. In Version 1601 of the bios for my board, I don't have the choice to set a boot graphics card, which I thought I used to have. I only have a setting for multi monitor, which I enabled but it made a mess of things, and I couldn't boot after that, so I turned it off but left the DVMT parameter on (128) and the RC6 render on (auto) as well. Then I could boot to my Nitro+ again.

Sorry, but can't have my system down again. So, I'm backing out of this for now as I've got some stuff to do.

I did run all the tests again, just to be sure, VDADecoderChecker and BruceX and they came out the same.

@corint1 - this is my last time repeating what I said before: my EFI is virtually identical to @pastrychef's post on the first page of this thread. If you want to compare it to yours, look at that. There's no difference.

View attachment 366138

On my motherboard, this is what I have to do:
  1. Enter BIOS.
  2. Enable IGPU.
  3. Save BIOS settings and reboot.
  4. Enter BIOS.
  5. Set primary to PEGP.
  6. Enable multi-monitor.
  7. Set DVMT to 128MB.
  8. Enable RC6 render.
  9. Save BIOS settings and reboot.

1. Enter BIOS.
  2. Enable IGPU.
  4. Enter BIOS.
  5. Set primary to PEGP.
  6. Enable multi-monitor.
  7. Set DVMT to 128MB.
  8. Enable RC6 render.

that's what I did. But it won't let me boot if I enable multi monitor. Sorry, but I just can't do this right now.....maybe, if I have time, I'll touch base tomorrow morning. Apologies....

1. Enter BIOS.
  2. Enable IGPU.
  4. Enter BIOS.
  5. Set primary to PEGP.
  6. Enable multi-monitor.
  7. Set DVMT to 128MB.
  8. Enable RC6 render.
how say @mm2margaret "Set primary to PEGP" don't have this option ... last BIOS didn't have this option ...

if I copy s/l/e from 14.0 to 14.1 loss BT... must be investigate more ... some patch for kext ... in AMD line ...

I don't advise doing that. Too many things can go wrong.

right but for moment is single way to have hardware acceleration ... or back to high sierra ...

Did you try spoofing Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake?

that's what I did. But it won't let me boot if I enable multi monitor. Sorry, but I just can't do this right now.....maybe, if I have time, I'll touch base tomorrow morning. Apologies....

So, I'm back, but where you are it's probably too late. Still, I'll summarize....

Something is weird with the combination of the new Asus bios and the 9900k

I do NOT have an option to set to a primary monitor anymore. I could swear I had it previously (in fact, it's even mentioned in the manual), but at any rate it's not there anymore. Only multi-monitor. Once you enable multi-monitor, some other options show up, but at that point, you're screwed - because you can only boot from the internal graphics card and it's ports (Gah!!).

I don't know if this bios change is because once you plug in the 9900k some bios options change or the changes came with the bios version 1601. Probably the latter.

I do have an option in, of all places, the Asus Overclocking profile, GPU Post, but it doesn't really work (probably because it's PCIe only).

BUT, this is all irrelevant to me and my work. I'm getting great performance, and I really don't get a crap about the built-in graphics card. I actually don't want to enable it - I'm getting full hardware graphics acceleration without it, so why should go through all this for something I don't need?

I suppose I could call Asus about this, but it's just not relevant to me and my work. I tried, but it's just taking up a lot of my time (and trouble) and I just need to move on.....

Last edited:
So, I'm back, but where you are it's probably too late. Still, I'll summarize....

Something is weird with the combination of the new Asus bios and the 9900k

I do NOT have an option to set to a primary monitor anymore. I could swear I had it previously (in fact, it's even mentioned in the manual), but at any rate it's not there anymore. Only multi-monitor. Once you enable multi-monitor, some other options show up, but at that point, you're screwed - because you can only boot from the internal graphics card and it's ports (Gah!!).

I don't know if this bios change is because once you plug in the 9900k some bios options change or the changes came with the bios version 1601. Probably the latter.

I do have an option in, of all places, the Asus Overclocking profile, GPU Post, but it doesn't really work (probably because it's PCIe only).

BUT, this is all irrelevant to me and my work. I'm getting great performance, and I really don't get a crap about the built-in graphics card. I actually don't want to enable it - I'm getting full hardware graphics acceleration without it, so why should go through all this for something I don't need?

I suppose I could call Asus about this, but it's just not relevant to me and my work. I tried, but it's just taking up a lot of my time (and trouble) and I just need to move on.....

That's strange indeed... I'll try messing around with the 9900K in a few days when I get mine (assuming I don't destroy it by delidding it).

I'll report back with my results.

Back